Would there have been seven seasons if there were no Seven?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Bry_Sinclair, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Seven was brought onto the show to get more young men watching (thanks to two big reasons) and to try and boost ratings--much as how Worf was brought into DS9 in S4.

But what if the PTB had left her out and the series had just continued on as it had, would it have made it to seven seasons or would it have been cancelled? Would ENT have been produced had the show been cancelled?

Would the character have gotten as much attention if it'd been male instead of female?

Thoughts?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the wake of Clooney's Batman they could give this male Borg both obvious nipples and a codpiece.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Bry's question.

"IS 7 THE TRUE SOURCE OF VOYAGER'S SUCCESS?"

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's an alternative universe out there somewhere, where the entire series was just the adventures of Annika Hansen, alone in the Delta Quadrant. Except in season four they had to go and ruin everything by introducing 6 other cast members and replacing Seven with Kes. Crazy idea, I know.

5. Guy Gardener

That's called Before and After.

6. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A more important question is: would there have only been five seasons if she was named Five?

Do the Borg operate like siblings in a large family? Does being "Seven of Nine" make her the kid sister in the collective, while One of Nine was the big brother? The Borg Queen is obviously Mom. What does that make Locutus?

7. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Judging from s3, I think Voyager without Seven would have lasted maybe 5s before they pulled the plug if they didn't use another "Jump the Shark" stunt to boost ratings like kill off a character or a wedding.

William Shatner refuses to allow it.

8. teacake

Trek weddings are very unexciting events.

9. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yes and no

I think Sevens arrival also brough the doctor to life and the two of them worked very well together and improved each others characters while the rest of the crew stagnated - season 6 and 7 essentially became the Seven and the doctor show with a few bones throw to the other characters here and there (with some good results and some bad)

I think Seven and the doctor saved the show (she was the catalyst for that so i guess you could argue she saved the show)

10. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

So are it's message boards, yet here we are. :)

11. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

The series would have lasted for seven seasons whatsoever. Voyager's ratings weren't that low that it would have justified a cancellation of the show.

There were never any serious discussions about cancelling the show either. The only thing that did seem to worry those in charge was that neither Voyager nor DS9 had the same high ratings as TNG.

Not to mention that their rantings about "Seven saved the show" isn't exactly the truth either. The ratings were lower for seasons 4-7 than they were for seasons 1-3.

12. Guy Gardener

Unless on Betazed where everyone, and I do mean everyone, is horrifically scary.

13. Bry_Sinclair

For me Seven really ruined the series. The character concept was interesting, but too much emphasis was placed on her, at the expense of the other characters (save Janeway and the Doctor, but they became more sidekicks to Seven).

As a gay man, Seven as sex appeal was never going to work for me, but I can appreciate an attractive woman. Jeri Ryan is good-looking, with a very curvy figure, but when you have someone like that parade around in catsuits it kinda cheapens the character and continues stereotypes of "sexy sci-fi chick".

Trek should have done something a little better, rather than just giving into fanwank ;)

14. Bry_Sinclair

They could have ended Season 3 with the ship in the midst of a hopeless battle, the characters rushing to the escape pods, then have a massive explosion, leaving it a mystery for who would survive.

At the beginning of Season 4, the battered and bruised Equinox discovers the remains and starts saving escape pods, only to reveal who had survived and would blend in with new characters and a new ship.

How's that for a shake up? :lol:

15. teacake

:eek:

I think MANY women are very sexy and I enjoy watching varying women characters for just that reason. 7 is my favorite Trek character but you know I never found her sexy at all. Beautiful, yes. Jeri Ryan is a rather unusual looking woman, not at all generic despite the Barbie elements some decry. Unusual in a way that works very well with science fiction.

16. teacake

I just thought of something.. the PHOTO ALBUMS.

Anyone wanting a gander at Picard in the nude could just sweet talk Lwaxana over tea into showing off her daughter's wedding pictures, which with Lwaxana would probably love to do.

17. Guy Gardener

Dee is royalty.

It's a public event.

The naked news will be present.

18. teacake

I bet the news blurs bits of non Betazoids at their request.

19. Guy Gardener

Requests will differ.

Some will insist on airbrushing, others magnification.

20. teacake

I want my whole body in TOS style soft focus, with that silly vampy music in the background. Every time the news camera pans over me the only clear thing you'll see is me stuffing my face on some Betazoid cake. This will be so hilarious in contrast to everyone else's over exposed flesh that it will go viral on zoidtube where I'll be knows as "that blurry woman".