Continuum the new tv series!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Snick27, May 14, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The finale was entertaining. Primarily, things are starting to piece together and it seems older Cancer Man Alec really is the mastermind who ochestrated everything. Likewise, it appears there are other people from the future who have infiltrated key positions in modern day as evidenced by the CSIS agent being told off by his superiors when he started figuring out Kiera is a fake.

This revelation I do and don't like. I do like it since it makes things a bit more believable that she's able to impersonate a special agent from a top secret government agency than the previously indicated "a teenage hacker made it seem that way." Unfortunately, it comes completely out of the blue. I understand, these people want to stay hidden and might even have assistance from Alec to remain hidden, but some sort of hint at any point throughout the previous ten episodes would have been nice.

I don't get why there would be so many casualties after the building blew up. The site was already being evacuated, and not that much time passed after Julian was apprehended and when Bra'tac -sorry- Kagame blew it up. There shouldn't have been that many civilians present. Plenty of police and other emergency serivces people, yes, and such a loss would be considered tragic, but I don't see how it would be the watershed event that makes a future where everyone is under a corporate police state possible.

The CG used to make Julian look older in the future scenes was pretty crappy looking. Yeah, I get it. They didn't have time to find a well-known Canadian actor who could be belived as him in sixty years, but still that looked really crappy.

Things weren't really made too clear with Ian Tracey's character. Am I correct in assuming he didn't really build a time machine and that's why Kiera left his apartment with her piece of the Terry's Chocolate Orange? Also, I don't want to be the guy who claims Star Trek did everything first, but was anyone else reminded of Captain Braxton from Voyager's Future's End? Guy from the future is stranded on modern day Earth, after doing some time in a mental hospital is left to live on the streets where he tries to warn people of future disasters but is thought of as a nut.

Overall, this show really isn't what I'd call a great program. The past three or four episodes, when they actually began moving the story arc were enough for me to keep interest and should the show return I'd probably watch it. But if it doesn't, I won't miss it either.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The future is fixed.

but we should have known that since the pilot when the universe didn't vanish after Keira went back and we saw all that aftermath and crying..

I would have thought that Escher was older Alec who came back too.

But Escher is a woman.

(Stuff like this happens and I start to think that it's a clue that this is and artificial reality, which is for sure what i though when she went looking for Herbit George a few episodes back. but if you name your assumed identity after MC Escher, it's pretty obvious that you arrogantly consider yourself to be a complex 5 dimensional puzzle... The only more blatant "clue" would be to have a character called Mobeius.)

Did kagame have to die because there couldn't be two of him?

Because it was beautiful symmetry, or just because he always had, and had to to inspire Theseus?

That's balls.

Continuum isn't what I need, it's what I want.

Mick Jagger doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Branching timelines. Just like the Abramsverse - which didn't replace the prime Trek timeline, it exists alongside it. Same story here, maybe?

4. The Wormhole

Nah, too much has been hinted at being a pre-destiation paradox. Right down to Julain inspiring and being inspired by Liber8 and Alec apparentally giving his younger self instructions on how to become a corporate tycoon. Not to mention Alec and Kagame telling each other the same story about a pebble on the beach.

5. Guy Gardener

Even if it is branching timelines, which the death of kellogs grammy might suggest, Old Alec believes that we are dealing with a predestination paradox, and he allowed/forced liberate to happen to make sure that kira showed up in the past beleiing what she beleived so that she would do what she did.

Wormhole... The timemachine was made out of Bicycle rims. If that wasn't a clue, how about when he offered to share his tinfoil hat with kiera.

No shit.

A tin foil hat.

6. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was CG? I actually thought it was a different actor, though I'll admit he did look a little weird.

7. The Wormhole

After consulting IMDB, you're right, it was a different actor. Well, that's embarassing on my part. I assumed it was CG since he looked so weird and the voice sounded exactly the same (to me, anyway). I guess they could have gotten the regular actor to have done a voice over.

8. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Uhm.. okay? :rolleyes:

9. Ubik

Ubik Commodore Commodore

Ha hah. Christopher....um, no one was insinuating that "not waiting for it to come on television" means "downloading it illegally." I don't watch it on television - I watch it on Apple TV, which I purchased perfectly legally. You're jumping the gun a bit on that little rant of yours.

10. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Law"; "morality".:rolleyes:
    These days, the lobbying groups for the entertainment industry are working hard - with SOPA, ACTA and similar laws - to censor the Internet. They don't care about 'law' and 'morality' - defined as respecting the rights of all others - as long as they maintain their profits.
    The promoters of ACTA claiming to be 'moral' carries a heavy dose of irony.

Personally, I either watch on TV/listen on radio or buy the entertainment I want.
    And I find myself not really caring that the so-called 'pirates' are cutting into the profits of such characters: what goes around, comes around.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

13. The Wormhole

Although the first season was rather "meh" the finale was interesting enough that I'll watch the second season.

14. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Yes. Because lawmakers and corporations are all about morality.

I spit on every immoral criminal scumbag who ever torrented!

You hear that, mom!!??? :klingon:

15. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Great news!

16. Guy Gardener

It's great news that mach5's mom is a criminal scumbag?

Too much Futuruama.

17. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

or NOT ENOUGH??

[​IMG]

18. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Continuum on SyFy

Just announced today:
    http://www.tv.com/news/news-briefs-syfy-is-importing-canadas-sci-fi-drama-continuum-29439/

via monday Deadline

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Buzzy?" :wtf: Okay, I assume that means it's getting strong and positive "buzz," but it's still a silly-sounding word. It makes it sound like the whole show suffers from audio distortion, or is about the life and loves of apiarists.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm intrigued by this. The trailers look pretty cool. So would you guys recommend it?