Teeth

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

So I'm poking through Netflix on PS3 when I see an... interesting looking movie and description in the Horror genre:

Teeth:

So, naturally, I was interested and plan to give the movie a look.

Anyone here ever seen or heard of this movie?

2. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it's a decent little black humor movie. It has horror elements but it certainly isn't a monster movie or anything. I liked it.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I actually watched this movie. It wasn't terrible. It wasn't great either.

4. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Well, if I was supposed to like Sucker Punch based on message alone, this sounds like a heaps better movie.

5. Trekker4747

I'm a little more than 30 minutes into the movie. Black Comedy? I dunno. Black Comedies know they're comedies. This movie is just a fucked-up "horror" but it's like on the lowest end of the spectrum.

I'm liking it but mostly on the fucked-up premise.

But does it ever have a feminist message in it! :lol:

6. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, I thought it was pretty funny... the OBGYN scene seemed obviously intended for laughs. Decent enough flick. I watched it one night with a couple friends when we were bored, and none of us felt like we'd wasted our time. But I don't think it'll be any great classic.

7. Trekker4747

Well it was "funny" sure, but my feeling with "black comedies" is that they know they're comedies and play that angle in a "dark" way. This movie, I think it was trying to be "serious" but just didn't quite pull it off. But, yeah, it was fun little waste-of-time movie.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

It made me gay.

True story.

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love the movie. I mean... vagina dentata can't be taken seriously.

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't seen it, but I'm intrigued by the promise of biting social satire...

*ducks*

11. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I really, really liked this movie. Usually I refuse to see a movie until I've read up on it a lot beforehand, because I'm so afraid of wasting time watching a movie I don't like when there are so many classics I need to see. I made an exception for this one because it was sort of forced on me.

I was with a friend at another friend's house and he asked us to watch it with him, so I decided to give it a shot since I hadn't heard anything bad (or good) about it. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was a very cool and original horror comedy (we don't get many of those these days, at least not that I'm aware of), and I fully expected it to gain a cult following, at which point I could proudly say I knew about it before it was cool.

Four years later, I'm disappointed that it seems to be toiling in relative obscurity. Oddly enough, it is not (as I had suspected) the work of an up-and-coming young director, but rather a 50 year old guy directing his first full-length movie. I wonder if it would be better known if it had been done by an ambitious young filmmaker who could be prolific making flicks year after year since.

Two last things I want to mention - first, how impressed I was by the female lead, who reminded me of a young Drew Barrymore. I really thought she'd go places after I saw this. Second, I loved the ending. It was like a great, darkly humourous punchline that the whole movie had built up to.

12. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Yeah, "Vagina Dentata" was also the least successful album that The Police ever released. ;)

At least this movie sounds like it has a message, which is more than can be said for The Human Caterpillar. I have no desire to watch either of them, 'though. Life's too short.

13. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

The Human Centipede ...

14. Trekker4747

The ending seemed keeping in line with the whole "men are all sex-seeking perverts" thing as every man she encounters in the movie uses or manipulates her in some way just to get into her pants. Even the doctor exploited his position over her. (I find it hard to believe, however, that she made through puberty without ever having a pelvic exam, something I suspect is common for young girls to get at some point when growing up.)

But whatever, it was fun. I liked it when she was sleeping with the guy she actually liked -thinking sleeping with a man she liked would get rid of the teeth or something- only to find out he was bragging about scoring with her and had a bet on it as well she finds this out as she's riding him so she just "bites" him while giving him a cross look. Heh.

Fun movie, won't likely ever watch it again but I liked it. I don't think it's lack of being a cult-classic yet is a sign of anything with some movies it can take time for that to happen. I don't know when it became available on Netflix's OD service but if it was recent that should give the movie a boost in viewership.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

We've had a few threads on this movie. I haven't seen it, but I'd like to. Love the poster...

[​IMG]

Apparently it is a real problem, but not in the "vagina monster" way that a lot of horror movies portray it.

16. Asbo Zaprudder

Oops, wrong invertebrate. :rommie: I'm not really clued up on this particular genre.

ETA: Vagina dentata also feature in the Saga of Pliocene Exile series by Julian May.

In real life, the condition is associated with dermoid cysts.

http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/408/13198.html

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

HOW is it a real problem?! :eek:

18. Asbo Zaprudder

Hair, teeth, scales, and feathers all derive from skin -- just requires activation by the right enzymes or hormones, I guess.

19. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Poster doesn't look very feminist.

20. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

You know what they say. "Don't judge a book by its cover"...and "Don't judge a movie by its poster". :p