STO: are starship phasers worth a darn?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Tribble puncher, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Hitman

Hitman Vice Admiral Admiral

Anti-proton? You can craft, and buy them, but I've never seen them drop as loot.

The best of them, are the Borg ones.

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Also think they are Mk X and higher gear, so you may need to level up a bit first...

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

I'm not a big Tac player but my strategy for my Tac chars is to use Phasers until high enough to use Anti-Proton weapons. At the upper levels, some enemies wouldn't be affected by the subsystem shutdown and in PvP most players would have resistance against phasers.

4. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

About the worst you can use at endgame PvP is plasma weaponsatm, since everyone runs STF shields, all with plasmaresist.

I still use Phasers for RP reasons, but then I don't PvP at all anymore because of all the ridiculous spell casting consoles that pervert the matches...

For DPS types Antiproton might indeed be teh best choice, go wfor AP weapons with High Accuracy and Critical Chance buff.

Phasers are probably best for a tank, since he can't do any damage anyway, but the phaser procs in combination with fire at will might wreak a little havoc. Or go with Disruptors to lower your enemies damage resistance.

A Controller will generally be best suited with polarons to reduce energy levels.

A Debuffer needs to run Disruptor or Tetryon.

5. Rocketeer

That phased polaron beam array looks interesting. It's listing shows that it drains energy levels and shields, or at least a 2.5% chance.

I wonder if it's a unique item. A boat with a few of those could spell trouble for someone.

6. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've found those polarized tetryon arrays from the "New Link" mission to be pretty good on my Intrepid-class science ship.

7. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Here's my current ship configuration.
    [​IMG]

Right now, I'm using the Borg set with a MACO Shield Mk XII. I was wondering, would it be better if I replaced the Borg set with a complete set of MACO Mk XII?

8. Rocketeer

Just a suggestion (from a non-tactical player) - replace one of the Devices with a Weapons Battery or Scorpion Fighters.

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

My Suggestion would be Scorpion Fighters and the phase shift thingy from the Devidian Series. Then you have some extra mobile DPS and extra survivability.

10. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

Looks like a solid build.

Only thing I'd suggest changing are the devices, since deployable turrets get destroyed far too easily. I'd second Timelords advice (if you intend to PvP though, I'd replace the fighters with a shields battery for when your shields get disabled.)

The complete MACO set isn't really worth it. MACO shield + Borg set is the best set up.