Entourage

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by PKerr, Aug 10, 2012.

1. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I recently sat down and watched the entire run of Entourage (took me about two weeks) and I have to say I enjoyed the show.

I also have the say one of the reasons I enjoyed the show was I had access to the entire series so I could watch as many or as little back to back as I wanted.

Being that the shows were only 1/2 long and the seasons were so short I would have never stuck with it over the 8 years that it ran, IMO they did not pack enough content into the 1/2 hour, shows like Weeds and Californication do, they always feel longer than a 1/2 hour.

Also what was up with the 8 episode last season?
    Although it ended pretty well the ending felt very rushed.

Speaking of endings,
    Did anyone feel like it was a little cruel that Ari was offered the CEO job?

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I saw the first four episodes when the show started, but didn't stick with it. I plan to sit down and watch the entire series when I can though. From what little I've heard, it does sound like a good show with some interesting developments.

3. PKerr

Yeah that is what I was saying, I would have never stuck with the show from the beginning, it started off slow, it had 1/2 episodes and it only had 8 episodes it's first season.
    TBH I'm amazed it made it back for a second season, I guess that is the benefit from the network (HBO) owning the show, if it had aired on regular T.V. I doubt it would have ever made it.

4. SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers Captain Captain

If you don't take it too seriously, and just watch it for what it was, a purely fantastical look at Hollywood, then it is a fine piece of escapism popcorn entertainment.

Some of it was pretty much true to life, but most of the time it did seem like someone's fantasy about how Hollywood works and how actors careers go.

As for the way it ended, it clearly was designed to set up a "franchise" onto the big screen if you will, the way Sex In The City did.

5. PKerr

The big screen really? I hadn't thought of that, TBH I wouldn't go and see it even though I enjoyed the show.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I initially didn't like the show, but once they got to Aquaman (season two?) I started to really enjoy it. They're still douchebags, but it was an interesting story and often pretty funny.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have enjoyed the first half of the show, the latter seasons kind of sucked...also Vince is one of my least liked characters on television. Ari is my favourite character, followed by Eric.

8. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

....until the whole "drug addiction" plotline in later seasons.

Considering one of the producers was Mark Wahlberg and it was loosely based on his rise to fame, not surprising.

Indeed...as depicted here

9. the G-man

I happened to rewatch a couple of fifth season episodes the other night. It was right after Medillean bombed. Vince had just come back from Mexico, couldn't a role, was nearly broke, and had to do personal appearances to keep from filing bankruptcy. Ari took him to task for, basically, having a shitty work ethic and not "playing the game" to stay a star.

It got me thinking. Who in real life is the closest to Vince pre-happy ending? By which, I mean an actor that started out well regarded, made it to the A list and then ruined/nearly ruined his career with a combination of ego and bad choices.

I was sort of thinking Nic Cage but I'm open to other suggestions.

10. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

You mean right now?

Hell yeah i am not sure if we will even have an A list and who cares we got plenty of blockbusters coming out with washed up celebrities(Robert Downey Junior) or talalented newcomers (i mean people who never had central roles in blockbusters).

11. the G-man

Downey? Washed up? Maybe ten or fifteen years ago it looked that way. But I'd say he's been on the way back since at least Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and definitely back on top since the first Iron Man.

12. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

I think Shia Labeouf is on that road...

13. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

To where?

14. the G-man

I think he means to being a real life Vincent Chase.

15. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Lindsay Lohan. She was an "it" girl.

Amanda Bynes, too.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

17. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I watched it from the beginning and enjoyed it quite a bit. If and when they make they movie I'll definitely see it. My brother and I always joked though that it would have been a cool tie in, if they had actually made the films Vince had acted in during the show...at least the bigger ones like Queens Boulevard, Aquaman, and MedellĂ­n.

18. the G-man

I somehow think getting James Cameron to make an Aquaman movie would have more than a 'cool tie in.'
    ;)

19. the G-man

Lohan...yes.
    Bynes never made it to the A list.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I started watching Entourage yesterday. I saw all of the first season in one sitting and now I'm halfway through season 2, the big Aquaman season. I liked the first few episodes when I saw them years ago, but the first season didn't do anything for me when I saw it last night. Then everything started to gel and I'm loving season 2. It's a pretty good show. I love the sensationalism of LA/Hollywood life and the characters are fun to watch, especially Ari. I didn't think a show could have people getting laid more often than Hank Moody. I also like seeing the struggles and money issues of a movie star. Can't wait to see the rest of the show.

So we can expect Vince to settle down then? ;) Not necessarily saying it'll happen, but Wahlberg certainly changed from his younger days.