DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Well, there is a New York City Sheriff's Office, so maybe it's based on that?

Here's the wikipedia link, maybe it helps:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Sheriff

Edit: Too late...

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Now I feel kind of silly for not thinking to see if it was based on a real NYC office. Thanks guys!

3. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I learned something today! Who says comics aren't educational?

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Your avatar really suits that post.

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh. I should change it just to confuse everyone now. ;)

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Yup. I always THOUGHT The Flash needed more heavy body armor.

8. Derishton

I was going to pass, and then I realized you can play Frankenstein. I'm going to do that.

9. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I just finished reading this issue, and agree with everything you said in your spoiler tag. The change is all the more disappointing because the majority of the annual was superb.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huh, I saw a couple other articles about this today, but neither of them mentioned any connection to the New 52. I had assumed it was based in it's own unique universe, like most comic games seem to be.
    Ok, just read the article, and the only evidence they have for a New 52 connection is the peeling DC logo. But they've also used that for Harley Quinn's Revenge, and LEGO Batman 2 and neither of them have any connection to the New 52.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I've a hard time understanding why the art is "terrible". I think its one of the best drawn books of the new 52. It may not be to someone's particular taste, but its well done.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've yet to a read a whole issue, but I've liked what I've seen on comixology's free previews. It is a little more stylized, but it's not stylized enough to be ugly, IMO. And I really think it fits the mythology based storytelling they seem to be going for with this series.

13. Admiral_Young

I absolutely love Cliff Chiang's artwork on Wonder Woman. To me it adds to the uniqueness of the book.

Regarding the video, game...so far only Bleeding Cool is calling this a New 52 game, by the character designs to me reflect that it is intended to be a New 52 video game.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  14. Admiral_Young

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

And therein lies the compounded problem.
    It's not just Alan Scott that it affects but directly 2 other characters in Jade and Obsidian. It's rock in a pond ripple affect.

Just highly promote Batwoman or the newly incorporated Midnighter. You're trying to hard to be support Obama's "evolved" sense of political correctness Dan.

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blech. Just more change for change's sake.

17. Admiral_Young

I have no problem with Alan being gay...but once again DC is retconning and tweaking by subtraction, not adding new characters. I don't get why they can't create new characters or whatever instead of changing current ones? I thought that was one of the whole points of this relaunch...I don't really want to engage in a political debate in this thread, but to me this is just one more editorial decision that doesn't make much sense to me. I guess Obsidian doesn't exist but Jade will continue to do so. Wonder how they'll explain Jade suddenly not having a brother anymore.

I also agree with the Newsarama I posted the other day about the top ten worst things about the New 52. They have condensed their universe and mythology for some reason (I am guessing maybe this is an easier way of telling stories for them?). It feels a lot smaller than the DCU did.

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I guess it's the lack of detail compared to something like Earth 2. "Terrible" is a strong word, I admit, but I would have preferred something that captures Wonder Woman's beauty a little better. The color scheme is also less vibrant, but it's mainly the lack of detail.

19. Derishton

And Jade, in turn, directly affects Kyle Rayner (in multiple ways) - and his history is supposed to be largely intact, isn't it?

I think Chiang's Wonder Woman is an amazing hybrid of classical beauty and the character's original facial design, distinct from the Jim Lee version (who might as well be Katy Perry in star-spangled hot pants).

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The art in WW for me is "good" but it misses a certain spark to make it great. Sometimes it looks too angular and the coloring is probably the most harming part.