Post here if you actually loved this movie!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Matt S, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree. I thought it was brilliant.

Abrams & CO. have weaved undertones of a sort of Bradfordian paradox theme into the nuVerse, and this scene was the perfect culmination of that.

2. datagal

datagal Admiral Admiral

I loved it. I was genuine surprise to see Nimoy in a cameo. I enjoyed it. I took my mother with me and she loved it too. She's not a big sci-fi fan.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I've seen people complain about the Nimoy/Spock Prime cameo. I don't know why. They want nuTrek to be as much like old Trek as possible, but when the original Spock makes another appearance they come up with every flimsy excuse to say it was dumb, superfluous and wasn't any good.

4. Silversmok3

Silversmok3 Commander Red Shirt

Late as usual, but here I am nonetheless.

I just finished watching it, and I can proudly say I loved this movie. Perhaps this is colored with some degree of bias regarding my prior military service in the USAF, but out of the multiple touching moments in this film one which sticks out to me is the scene of Kirk, Commander of the Enterprise, and Leader of His Crew, facing the loaded guns of his enemy and knowing its curtains for himself and his people.

Its the visual expression of my worst nightmare when I was in the military: the person next to you IS the mission, and to face the no-win scenario not only served as a great thematic call back to Star Trek II, but it crystalizes the military leader's greatest fears.

I also liked the angle of the mad Starfleet Admiral attempting to use Khan for his own ends. Its a great example of the old controversy of the Means Justify the Ends argument. After a traumatic incident like the events of the previous movie, the prospect of losing a war with the Klingons would weigh very heavily on the brass. Its thus quite plausible someone would take things way to far in the name of "national security", an allegory quite appropriate to our current state in America today.

5. starbuck

starbuck Captain Captain

Yes i loved it, and enjoyed seeing them set of on there 5yr mission

6. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

I am glad there are more lovers of the movie than haters

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a rule, that's a good thing.

8. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Just saw it. Absolutely fricking loved it. Loved it. I can't even figure out what there is to not like.

9. Jen

Jen Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved it. Drove down to Chicago last Wednesday for one of the advanced screenings, and the entire 2 hour drive home me and my friends could not shut up about how awesome this movie was. Like many others, I loved Pine as Kirk in this one. I finally bought that Pine is Kirk.

I was spoiled about the villain the day before the movie came out, and I was really hesitant about this British dude playing Khan. As I said to my TrekBestie....you can't replace Khan. You just can't.

I.Was.Wrong. CumberKhan was FREAKING awesome! We actually got to see Khan be cool and smart and strong and outsmart everyone. Love it. Plus...dude is hot. There's just something about his voice.

I can't wait to see it again. I'm taking my brother, against his will, because he needs to see just how epic this movie is.

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved it, I think I loved it more then XI.

11. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Saw it last night so I've digested it now. I was spoiled rotten and still loved it. I'll probably see it a couple more times.
    The actors are really comfy in the characters now. I wish this was a series or at least a movie a year. It's unfortunate we'll probably only get one or two more films with this cast. Pegg really has Doohan down pat now. Not as much of an imitation as it is honoring Doohan's performances. Pegg adds greatly to the character with his own comedy.
    Peter Weller is back! After years of enjoying Professor Weller on History channel, he's really come back as an actor with the best performance in the film. Bruce Greenwood a close second. It would be a smart idea to see a Pike flashback in future films.
    Glad they didn't bother to show a fight between Ent and the super-ship. We've seen that a hundred times before.
    Alice Eve always looks spectacular. Hope she's along for the next film.
    "Enterprise" is canon in whatever timeline you're in!
    I'm sure I'll think of more but I liked it.

12. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'll be seeing it for the third time later on this week. It's just that good.

13. pineiskirk

pineiskirk Ensign Newbie

Re: Post here if you actually loved this movie!! SPOILERS!!!! -

I loved it :techman: .

14. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I asked this movie to marry me after I saw it, that's how much I loved it.

15. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Going to see it again tomorrow night. I have to travel to Ottawa next week and instead of staying in the hotel room, I'm going to go out and see it again.

16. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome movie.

That is all.

17. anothertrekfan

anothertrekfan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was pretty much on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Fantastic movie. I was more comfortable this time around watching the new cast play those iconic roles. They all nailed their parts. Simon Pegg stole the show.

18. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved it, saw it back 2 back Friday & am planning to see it a few more times as well, maybe tomorrow before work - I work afternoons so I can see the 10:30 am viewing.

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Re: Post here if you actually loved this movie!! SPOILERS!!!! -

I'm going to close this now because:

A) It's really not necessary to have a thread set aside for only those who actually loved the movie.

B) Such a thread is not entirely unlike thumbing one's nose at those who do not share your actual love of the movie.

C) The passage which I've placed in bold above not only makes it clear that the thread is intended in part as a none-too-polite gesture in the direction of those who do not actually love the movie as much as you, but it has additionally had the effect of causing their unhappiness at being the object of such a gesture to spill out into other threads (and the secondary effect of causing the mod staff headaches. :vulcan: )

D) Haven't I asked everyone many times before to make discussion about the movie and not about other posters? Seriously, it's just not that hard to avoid making things personal and to avoid taking things personally.

M', old Trek nerd

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.