Transformers: Age of Extinction - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 25, 2014.

?

What did you think of the movie?

1. It was excellent!

11.5%
  2. It was pretty good.

23.1%
  3. It was OK.

19.2%
  4. It wasn't that good.

9.6%
  5. It was terrible!

36.5%
  1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus it was the guy actively trying to exterminate the Autobots.

Why exactly is Prime supposed to hold back against humans trying to kill him and his friends?

2. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

He's above that kinda thing.

3. Hartzilla2007

So he's supposed to let his entire species go extinct becuase of morals?

4. Saul

He might...

But killing would be his last option.

5. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Prime said something about playing by the rules and how it cost him his friends, so he vowed to bend the rules a little bit.

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

No, they're setting up the Quintessons, who built Cybertron and the all the Transformers. Unicron only built Galvatron and a couple of flunkies.

7. Hartzilla2007

I'm trying to figure out what rules would prohibit shooting back at combatants in a eons long war.

Seriously humanity decided to become a third faction in the Cybertronian Civil War, so they're soldiers or combatants (or whatever Cemetery Wind is) pretty much forfeit any sort of protection whenever they shoot at them, no ifs, ands, or buts.

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

We have no way of positively knowing. I'm leaning towards Quintessons, but we only saw a technorganic hand operating the controls of one of those snail-shaped ships on Earth in 65 million B.C.E., and we don't even know for certain if that was a "Creator".

9. Saul

Humanity had no choice. The transformers came to their planet. Thousands (if not more) of people died as a result. Can't really blame them for getting "involved".

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Maybe it'll be another Bayformers Variation, maybe the "Quintessicrons" or something. You're right we don't know. I'm just saying if he's gonna dig back into the well, that's the best choice.

11. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Although it's a separate continuity, IDW did address this sort of thing in their recent Regeneration One comics, which were a follow-up to the original Marvel continuity. After defeating Unicron's attempt to devour Cybertron (the body of his enemy Primus, who created the Transformers in this continuity), Prime and the Autobots stayed on Cybertron to help create a new society. The Decepticons had been defeated and driven into exile, although Bludgeon planned to eventually strike back.

Megatron's seemingly inert body was left behind in the Ark on Earth, and was accidentally revived by humans. He was able to take over the Ark's computer and also much of humanity's considerable technology base, and he was able to use several nuclear weapons on humanity when they tried to take him down. By the time a group of Autobots returned to Earth to see how things had developed, it was in bad shape and the surviving humans weren't overly friendly. In their minds, the Autobots deserved a measure of guilt for bringing the war to Earth in the first place and seemingly doing nothing to stop Megatron's attacks. In fairness, though, the Decepticons under Soundwave began their own retaliations on Cybertron shortly before the Wreckers arrived on Earth, and all of the parties involved were being manipulated by a certain villainous entity.

12. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I wonder what Bumblebee, Hound, Crosshairs, and Drift will be doing in the interim besides protecting the Yeagers. And if there are any more Autobots or Decepticons left on Earth.

I wonder if maybe the Dinobots Slash, Snarl, and Slog were elsewhere aboard Lockdown's ship. I'm mad that only 4 Dinobots appeared in the movie.

I'd love it if in a tie-in comic the CIA gets dissolved because its members either knew and supported what Cemetery Wind was doing or else were incompetent enough to allow Cemetery Wind to happen. The President and his staff seemed to be unaware that Autobots were being illegally killed.

13. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I counted five, including Grimlock and Strafe. Too bad they didn't include the original Dinobots like Sludge and Snarl.

14. Hartzilla2007

Yeah and the needed the Autobots to save the day every time.

Or do you honestly think the Decepticons were going to leave in peace despite the second film flat out saying the main reason their faction exists is to destroy earth to get energon.

So human wake Megatron up by screwing with stuff they probably shouldn't have touched and it's the Autobot's fault? :wtf:

Honestly I'm preferring Transformers: Prime's take on the distrusting the Autobots story since a terrorist group using a remote controlled Optimus Prime clone to attack the military is a better reason to distrust them than humans being morons (Seriously reactive ting Megatron) or forgetting what happened last time they threw the Autobots under the bus (aka DOTM).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Or maybe yet another contradictory origin story. ;)

16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I hope so, actually. Never was a big fan of the Quintessons, or of the Primus stuff in the comic.

17. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it the other day and found the first hour bearable. Past that was a complete mess.

What I find eminently frustrating with this movie, along with it's two predecessors, is that they don't have to be as dumb as they are. I know, giant alien robot franchise - right? I'm not asking for Citizen Kane here. Just a level of storytelling and writing that's not entirely cringe-worthy.

:(

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

^

So you liked the endless scenes of Marky Mark and his daughter and her boyfriend?

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It really is sad that those scenes beat the hell out of the rest of the movie. I understand that these movies are about giant robots battling each other, but the cartoons from the 80's felt far more intelligent and interesting than these films.

I'm not a huge Transformers fan, but I remember the 80's cartoons fondly.

20. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

No! Hey, I had your back several pages back- mindless spectacle - I get it. :lol:

Okay, I'll squirm out of that and say I saw some potential in the first hour (potential being the misguided notion that Unicron would turn up).

Evidently next time.

But next time, hopefully without Marky Mark, the daughter and her boyfriend. Or Marky Mark's all too conveniently human-sized alien sword-gun.