Enterprise Cutaway Coming From Dragon Models

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Racer_X, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

TOS toys are not worth doing poorly!

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Agreed. The suits who cut the checks may have other ideas, though. :(

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

:rolleyes: Yes. I don't know what's the point in that. The whole idea of a cutaway is to reveal something the viewer / the owner likes to discover. All I see is a naked framework that makes no reference to the widely published and known layout of the original studio sets.

What did Scotty say in ST V how he felt the Enterprise had been put together?

Bob

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  4. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That sample toy does look pretty bad. It's like they dropped in a flat un-marked grid of rooms and hoped no one noticed how little effort went into it. :(

5. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

How final is this version? Is it just a quick mockup to show all the areas to be covered or is his the inal product?

Just trying to find a silver lining in here somewhere.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

Concerning that first cutaway in post #7 of the AMT model box art, who was the artist and is there a larger picture of that somewhere?

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Well, they left it clear so you could see the 'bite' section un-obstructed.
    Now, it might have been nice to "dial" detail around inside the saucer.

Perhaps some model makers might like to take apart a rotary phone?

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, a bit of detail would have made all the difference:
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWrsEL0TyPk[/YT]

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

If it helps:
    [​IMG]

12. Dar70

Dar70 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it is kind of cool in an abstract way. I doubt this was meant to have colored doors and people walking the corridors. It looks no less detailed than the cutaway model. I will bet even with the negtivity here and at hobbytalk these will still sell like hotcakes and increase a bit in price with time. There are many completists out there that collect the diamond select ships and they will probably add this and use it as a genral reference peic next to a complete ship.

13. 137th Gebirg

Normally I would agree. Normally I would buy something like this, with the hopes that others would as well, to support the production of such memorabilia. This would, ideally, lead to the production of higher-quality items once the studio realized that there was profit to be made and more money could be invested in making a better product.

Instead, the studio has opted to not support higher-quality products like this - but instead, charge an exorbitant amount of money for an insultingly less-than-acceptable piece of sub-par merchandise that even the most die-hard completest fans would likely not want to have anything to do with. The studio would then turn around, confidently pronounce that "Trek is dead" (again) and that there was no more point to investing any money into the franchise, as (in their pinched little minds) nobody is interested any more.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, one where the future of TOS/classic-era products may be circling the drain, I'm afraid. I don't even really see much of anything all that impressive based on the TNG/DS9/Voy-era, either. :(

14. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

On the bright side we had this beautiful Polar Lights 1/350 TOS Enterprise model kit in a "compatible" release timeframe.

If its sale figures are good or even better that should be a good indicator how much actual interest there still is in TOS products (or high quality products - i.e. model kits - where sales aren't limited to die hard trekkers only). ;)

Inevitably there'll be some comparison between the sales figures of both of these Enterprise miniatures. Hopefully these will pave the road for more high quality products (yes, I still want my 1/35 TOS studio set assembly kit where I can "lego" together various sections of the ship. That would enable us to create a 1/35 version of the starship :D).

Bob

15. 137th Gebirg

^^^ Very true. :) The Polar Lights kits have generally been a cool drink of water in a very big desert. They are a bit pricey, and some of the older kits are getting hard to find (NX-01, first-gen refit) but, yes, the quality is of a caliber that makes people want to buy them regardless of the cost. Hopefully one day, studio execs will recognize that and adjust their business model accordingly.

16. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I think PL is planning on reissuing the 350 NX.

I was crazy enough to buy 8 of the first issue 350 refit kits (still haven't built one!), so if anyone wants one, I'll be glad to part with one for, say, $75 including shipping (CONUS only).

17. Lenny Nurdbol

Lenny Nurdbol Lieutenant Commander

More exploitation of the fans by TPTB...

If you want the definitive cutaway of the original starship Enterprise, seek out Franz Joseph's Booklet of General Plans... I paid around $6 for mine nearly forty years ago and that included deck plans for all decks...

18. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

The FJ plans are hardly definitive. I would say it's merely inspired by the show, not exactly a super-accurate representation of the ship as seen on the show.

--Alex

19. Lenny Nurdbol

Lenny Nurdbol Lieutenant Commander

That's your opinion, but I've seen none better... Flashier, more colorful, bigger, glossier, and higher in resolution...Yes. But none Better...

FJ got there first and set the standard which influenced countless other Booklets of General Plans... That can't be taken away...

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Someone loves beating a particular drum.