Free Star Trek eBook by S&S (US only) and return of Strange New Worlds

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Lorraine Anderson

Lorraine Anderson Writer Red Shirt

I will when I can! (I work for a CPA.)

2. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Logically, as a week has passed, it would seem that people would have been notified and are sitting on the results. Boooooo.

3. Bibliomike

Bibliomike Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Respectfully, T'Bonz, I don't follow that logic. You could be right, but my assumption would be, as someone has said above, publishing moves slowly. Unless there's some stipulation against screaming victory to the heavens, I would guess the contest hasn't made the announcement, rather than assuming 10 lucky winners are staying silent.

But I guess we'll see. You can tell me you told me so if you're right!

4. Lorraine Anderson

Both she and I are thinking about the contest around 10 years ago. The winners were contacted about a week before the actual announcement was made to allow for them to sign the contracts. Whether they're doing that this time around -- who knows?

5. Bibliomike

Interesting. In the first two years, at least, the winners found out along with everyone else. I didn't know the contest moved to a "moratorium" model after that.

6. T'Bonz

One year, they heard before Christmas and the list didn't go up 'til after Jan 1st.

7. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

When we were informed about getting into SNW 10, we had to sit on that news for almost a month (until the official press release) whilst some sort of legal shenanigans got worked out.

8. Bibliomike

Huh. I wonder if they had a bad experience with someone being announced as a winner and then being disqualified or something. I could see it happening.

Anyway, hang tight, and don't convince yourself of one outcome or another until "the word is given." And keep writing, either way!

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's pretty standard in publishing -- and just about everything contract-based, really -- not to announce a deal until the contract is signed. And sometimes contracts are slow in coming, because they have to go through various different hands and so there are multiple stages that can add delays to the process. Or so I've been told.

10. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

Just noticed the return of this thread.

My spam filter was acting up a bit, so I got nervous very fast that I might have missed the notification email, and wrote to them April 1st:

Six minutes later (nice response time, guys!), I got this reply:

So... yeah, here we are a week later. I'm still waiting and so, apparently, is everyone else!

11. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

Well, the logic I follow is, if somebody says news will be handed out on or around a certain date, are we wrong for holding them to that?

12. T'Bonz

On Dean Smith's site someone posted this recently (Apr 5th): "Actually, on the 2016 strange new worlds contest, they just (April 5 2016) informed me: 'The winners will be announced this week and everyone will be notified."

If this holds, it would have to be today, which means, unless they're notifying via the winner's list, that people *have* been notified. At least that's how I interpret things.

13. Christopher

Or by the end of Monday, if "this week" is taken to mean "within the next seven days following this statement" rather than "within the current Sunday-to-Saturday span."

14. T'Bonz

True, but pretty much, I think people would take it to mean Friday.

Which means they contacted people already (the ones not talking!) because they would need to have their ducks in a row *before* the announcement.

Unless they're delayed for some reason (since that post). Unlikely and more of a wish on my part since I didn't hear.

15. Christopher

You're probably right, but I'm just trying to cover all the bases.

16. T'Bonz

Fair enough!

17. Lorraine Anderson

And at 4:50 E.S.T -- no word. Nada. *sigh*

18. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

Well, now it's Wednesday, so either that comment was wrong or you are all holding out on me. :)

19. Lorraine Anderson

20. Lorraine Anderson