TNG HD coming to Syfy (UK)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MacLeod, Oct 3, 2012.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well airing it on TV is basically a free commerical for the box sets. Just out of interest has it aired in HD on US TV yet?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The only place TNG currently airs that I know of is BBC America and its the SD versions.

3. DrBeverly

DrBeverly Lieutenant Red Shirt

On the other hand, I was going to buy the blu-ray boxsets, and haven't, because it's on TV!

I probably will one day though, when they get cheaper.

4. CNash

CNash Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

For those with Sky+ or Virgin Tivo, you could simply record the whole series and keep it on your box's hard drive to watch repeatedly... couldn't you?

"Where Silence Has Lease" is showing right now and it's looking spiffy :)

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Or if you have DVD-R burn them to DVD.

I'm waiting to the complete box set comes out.

6. CNash

CNash Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That would defeat the whole point of them being in HD, as DVD video has a maximum resolution of 480p.

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Just saw the HD version of "Q Who" on the American Syfy channel this evening. When I came home from work, they were playing the SD version of "Family", but not zoomed, like usual...

8. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

You could, and I have been doing that, but I'll still be buying them too because of the extras.

If you add together the extras specifically for this release to the others that were already on the DVD (and still on the BR's as far as I'm aware) that's a hell of a lot of additional material I haven't seen!

Unless Sci-fi UK (Not spelling it like THAT :p ) decide to have an "extra day" then the Blu-Rays will still be bought.

9. DrBeverly

DrBeverly Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yeah, the extras are a draw, as well as the extended version of Measure of a Man, for example (and any others there may be).

Also, my TiVo at least would not be big enough to store all the episodes in HD. If I had infinite space I probably would though!

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been years since I've seen "Unnatural Selection", and I must say I like it much better than I remember. It's the first episode of TNG to treat medical science and precautions fairly seriously - when they release something has gone wrong on the Lantree they try to determine what rather than beaming over unprotected and poking at the problem with their bare hands ("The Naked Now" solution), and Pulaski's efforts to find a cure are dramatised with their problems being pretty easy to follow - as opposed to the first season's tendency to have a flustered Doctor Crusher come up with a cuire at the final hour because... science?

I'm not saying it's a great episode or anything, but it's a competently executed sci-fi story - something TNG would do so often, but which it's done fairly rarely this early into its run.

It's also the first episode to refer to O'Brien by name, and the first one where he plays a significant role in the story.