Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chaos Descending, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as I'm concerned, launch has happened. :cool:

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Heh, you'll rethink that when we're all waiting in queues on Dec 20 and after. ;)

3. Chaos Descending

I'm already waiting on queues, why do I care if you guys are too? :p :D

4. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

This being the first MMO I'm seriously considering joining, I'm wondering, how long does it take post-launch until there are no more queues?

5. Chaos Descending

I first started playing World of Warcraft in December of 2008. It had been out for four years. Some servers STILL had queues.

6. O'Dib

So how long are the queues initially, and after how much time do they become more tolerable?

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Pick the right server and ques are minimal. I haven't had to wait more than 30 seconds to get into the game yet.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

The queues will be gone shortly.

The artificial cap they've placed on each server is well below max. Someone in a Gen chat last night said they were all only at like 60% capacity (not that he'd be an authority or anything.) I suspect by Christmas they'll be gone.

They're just trying really hard to artificially spread the pop--to minimal effect it seems.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Just done Balmora with my ever so close to level 20 Bounty Hunter, loving the game so far :techman:

10. sojourner

^Hell, I got to 18 before leaving Drumond Kaas.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

When you leave your starting planet, are you given a choice of where to go next or are you forced to go to a specific planet?

12. Chaos Descending

It goes like this:

Starting World -> "Fleet Hub" -> Capitol World

On the "Capitol World" you get your ship and can go where you want.

So the answer to your question is "you are forced to go to a specific planet", although after THAT planet the galaxy opens up.

13. sojourner

Son of a bitch. Maintenance at 6pm CST till 11pm CST????

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Game goes offically Live tommorow so they need the time to fix stuff and increase the capacity since the population will go up more.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Ah, cool, thanks. It's going to be a couple of months, at least, until I can finally play this, so I was just curious.

16. blueziggy

blueziggy Lieutenant Red Shirt

must say im really liking the game, when i get to play it. unfortunately, my WoW guildmates chose a high population server (mind trick) during EA and the queue has been in the 500s during peak hours. since im already at level 13 im a little iffy about starting all over again on a low pop server but might have to because bioware has stated that there is no timetable for server transfers to become active. this is a huge negative to me. in my mind, having server transfers available at launch would make the most sense since you cant trust that your player base will spread out properly at launch. i hope they are pushing to get this feature in as soon as possible.

aside from that, i am really enjoying the game in both a solo aspect and grouping.

17. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

You started playing during the launch of Wrath of the Lich King, that's not normal.

Some servers still see queues, but it's only immediately after a new content patch or major expansion like Wrath. I have a character on Blackrock, one of the highest population servers, and I see a queue maybe once or twice every few months. TOR will calm down too, once they get their server loads balanced correctly and the population influx settles.

18. Chaos Descending

^^^ True, it was during the launch of WOTLK, but my wife had been playing WoW since the launch of WoW itself, and there had been queues on her server all along. They were just "worse" when WOTLK launched.

Ironically, no queues when Cataclysm launched last year, that I could tell. At least, I never once had to wait in queue.

19. O'Dib

So I made the plunge, and am sleeping a lot less as a result. :)

I'm a level 22 Sith Marauder in the West Coast Namadii Corridor server. Thinking about joining any guild that operates there, in order to have access to people I could do heroic missions with (if that is, in fact, the point of guilds), but it doesn't seem like guilds are all that popular on PVE servers. Any advice?

20. sojourner

Guilds in the game right now are little more than dedicated chat channels. They need to add a lot more functionality to be useful.