Game AI passes Turing Test

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Lonemagpie, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

2. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah well.. not sold.

Turing Test is very far off.. i guess they are just well programmed bots where you can set parameters and variables that get filled with data as the game goes on.

The same with chess programs.. i'd not call the intelligent but their ability to process data and extrapolate moves is far beyond a human's capability leading to believe they are intelligent when in fact they're not.

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

They can be "intelligent" without being "conscious."

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

So more realistic NPCs to shoot?

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but now it's murder instead of harmless fun!

Just start letting these things play CIV or something, it if any of them start to trend towards production of killer robots, pull the plug on that one... ;)

6. Delsaber

Delsaber Commodore Commodore

Reboot is real!

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Technically speaking I think it's only murder if you delete the program. Killing it in-game is the digital equivalent of winning an argument. :p

8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's about time. I've been waiting for decent AI for the past 20 years.

9. smiki

smiki Captain Captain

The thing about the Turing test is that they don't have to be actually intelligent (capable of connecting the dots), they just have to "exhibit" intelligence.

It has nothing to do with intelligence per se but with the ability of a program/robot/whatever to fool a human into thinking it is a sapient intelligent living sentient being (otherwise known in some scientific circles as a hewmon).

That's why cleverbot, a chatbot whose responses are not programmed, but are selected from what humans entered in previous conversations (by simply remembering what a human answered and then just reproducing it again, with typos and all... no actual intelligence in any way), can pass the Turing test.

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. It's all about following a set of rules. And in the case of the Turing Test, they're following the rules closely enough to be able to pass as human. Or more precisely, the bots have been programmed to behave more like a human would play, well enough. What I'd love to see are bots that evolve to the playstyles of different people in a game like this.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It'll be OK so long as we program them to believe that giving their lives for our pleasure will guarantee them a place in Silicon Heaven, where the Iron shall lay down with the Lamp...

12. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Data would fail on this variant of the Turing test.

13. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Why?

Data would pass a Turing Test.. he may come off as the most humorless man but he'd still pass.

With this i believe Data would be able to adapt and throw in some mistakes and maybe bad tactics to appear human.. he also slow down his reflexes to human levels otherwise you'd have no chance against his precision.

14. Robert Maxwell

Genetic algorithms would probably be very helpful in this problem domain, especially since you've got lots of input to work with.

The "fitness" tests would be:

* What tactics allow the bot to survive the longest?
    * What tactics allow the bot to rack up the most kills?

The trick would be balancing those goals.

15. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

And analyze your opponents and adapt. If they're killing the bot easily, then the bot should change its tactics and learn from its session. I'd be impressed if I were to join a session and find a bot has taken a bit from past opponents to better itself.

16. Robert Maxwell

Well, that's what I meant about a "fitness test." It would have to devise tactics to thwart individual opponents, possibly even profile each opponent specifically. I could see there being competing algorithms within the same bot, as it gradually integrates what it learns from each opponent into one "super-algorithm" that's adaptable and useful against any opponent.