Kitbash orthos

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Forbin, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

BTW, how long have I been working on this? See the date of issue at the top of the page when I started? That jibes with TNG time. Season 1 (1987) was the year 2364.

2. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the USS Val'Walo, its a nice modern vessel that has the classic configuration but without a classic look and its quite good looking. :cool:

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome new pics and Im eagerly waiting for a Tech manual of all your ships :) :techman:

4. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

If my calculations are correct, you started in 2005?

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd put that line about how the ships "kicked the enemy's ass" into quotations. Find an officer to attribute the quote to. There's probably a few Kirk-era characters suitable to the purpose.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Yup! I was fairly stunned to suddenly realize that recently.

7. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

(Okay, just kidding) :ouch:

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks cool to me wouldnt mind having a mini version of it made from Micro machines or Johnny lightning ships :D :techman:

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

For a second I thought I clicked into the wrong thread.

10. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Nice. :lol: When will we see the actual model? :p :D

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Damn cumulative error! Even carefully measuring the actual Val'Walo model and drawing it to scale, I'm 1/8" short on the drawing. Well, that's only 14.6 feet at 1/1400 scale. :lol:

12. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If there is one thing that I learned while working on the Fuego class, it is that having some form of template helps a lot when working with vector art. That way, you'll at least have an idea of what you want the proportions to be like, and where to start laying everything out. Otherwise, it is easy to get bogged down when it comes to making sure everything matches up on all views, which has been the case with the Valkyrie.
    Because of this, I think from now on, I'm going to make at least a simple or semi-detailed set of orthographic views before starting in Illustrator, and I should probably sketch a set for the Valkyrie.
    Yeah, the more that a ship uses parts based on an already existing design (or more), the easier it is to make progress, but it seems that you're making progress just fine.

The parts you chose for the nacelles I think were a very good choice. Every time I see them, I can't help but notice how much I like them.

Very good work on the Tech manual. I liked the comment where it says "They kicked the enemy's ass from here to next Tuesday". Well, except for maybe the U.S.S. Pompey Magnus, apparently. I wouldn't be surprised if you had already thought out a story behind her demise.
    Though I think that when you say Pulse Phasers, I think you mean Mega-Phasers, which are (to my knowledge) supposed to be two different things.
    I'm glad to see that we can confirm once and for all that the Couer De Lion is indeed a Conqueror class, and not the class ship. Any chance we will get the registry codes listed along with the names, or should I just assume their assigned codes at my own discretion?

13. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Needs another saucer.

14. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

^^^

Needs more cowbell.

--Alex

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I just called Pompey Magnus as lost 'cause the real Pompey Magnus didn't end well. :)

I'm not going to bother with lists of NCC numbers. That's too much to think about, too much chance of using numbers someone else used, or the show already used. I think between Jackill and Mastercom, ALL the numbers have been used! :lol:

16. JES

Actually, I did check some time in the past, and to my knowledge, there are registries in the 3130 range that haven't been used yet, last time I checked. There are indeed many empty patches in the quad digit range here and there, especially after the 3000 range.

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

That's more checking than I have the energy for! ;)

Should have the top view of the Val'Walo done this weekend. I'm just pooping around with it 1/2 hour or so a day. This one is seriously challenging my vector-blend shading skills.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I've seen both names used in fandom. I realize the pulse-phaser moniker is used by the Defiant's supposedly-new breakthru weapons, but "mega-phaser" just sounds so silly (Sorry Jackill - ya know I love ya). :vulcan:

If there's a definitive (if anything in fanfic can be called definitive) name, I'll be happy to fall in line and use it. :)

19. JES

I can understand that. I've probably spent too much time looking for unused registries, and not enough time working on starship orthographics.

You're obviously way more skilled with vector art than me. Any less than 2 hours usually doesn't result in much, if any real headway.

I could have sworn that Jackill wasn't the only source to use the term. But "mega-phaser" and "pulse phaser" seems to be the only two terms as far as I know that are used to label the phaser cannons. I don't remember if the term "mega-phaser" is used in canon though, only that it is used frequently in many sources. It's no more silly than the term "Turbolaser" used in Star Wars though.:rolleyes:

20. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm tempted to say Mastercom used the term for some of their ships as well, but I could be wrong about that.