Kitbash orthos

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Forbin, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

SubCom - go get a free program called Paint.Net. The interface and layout is very similar to MS Paint but it does SO much more.

The one feature you need to get the hang of quickly is layers. Think of them as a stack of clear sheets that you're drawing different parts of your artwork on. As you work, you need to keep an eye on which layer you're on so you put stuff in the right one and don't screw up another layer (There is a multi-step Undo/Redo to help you get back to where you went off course, though.)

Anyway, what I do is take each of the three views of a ship or part and put each one on a separate layer. I then add two "alignment" layers - one in red, one in blue.

[​IMG]

Blue lines are used to check alignment of details from one view to the other. Red is there basically for the diagonal to be able to transpose between front and side views.

As good as Neale's stuff is, there is the occasional detail that doesn't line up from one view to the next. The blue lines help you find those so you can decide if they're worth fixing.

On the Coventry hull, look at the two squares on either side of the B/C deck in the front view. That's supposed to be the big engineering structure from the top and side views.

[​IMG]

On the Constitution secondary hull, look at the alignment of the shuttle bay beacon and phasers.

The red/blue lines will also help you line up components from one view to the next as you assemble your ship views. Put a part on one view and then transpose reference points to the other views to see where the corresponding part view needs to land.

2. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

2D draughting 101 - very well put :)

dJE

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

^A lesson I myself always forget. I still draw everything on a single layer in Corel. It does bite me in the ass on occassion. But I'm too busy drawing to remember abou silly things like layers.

4. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Really? I can't image doing something like that on a single layer! Madness!

--Alex

5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

ARRANGE>ORDER>BRING TO FRONT or SEND TO BACK. :lol: Though sometimes some creative bringing and sending gymnastics are required. :)

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Jesus, it's been over 15 years since I worked for Coreldraw tech support, and that was Corel 4. Forbin, you are using some damn outdated software there.

7. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I so wish I could +1 this! Thank you for the recommendation and tutorial :)

8. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think I could work without layers either! Here's an example (and some fun I was having turning on/off layers!):
    [​IMG]
    Just a demonstration of the different layers I used on the shuttlecraft. Left column has the "lines" layer off, right column on. Alternate rows have the "shading" layer on & off. And the lower half has the "colors" layer on. Separating them like that allows me to change things like color or markings quickly without having to go back and change the color for each side separately due to shading.

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

No I'm not, I'm using Corel X5 (Version 15). Just one step down from the current version.
    Why is it outdated?

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Ah, misinterpreted the version. I thought you were on just plain ole 5.

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Ah, gotcha.
    Which reminds me of the pain when I looked at my collection of past versions (Corel 3 thru Corel 13) and figured I may as well throw them out. Ouch. :lol:

12. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I would love to see a scale model of the station! Excellent work!

13. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

15. Jadin

Jadin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The Perry looks really good!

16. Jadin

I especially like the Surak...

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Thanks! That was a fun one. I had the Perry Rhodan kit lying around for YEARS before I finally figured out what to do with it.

Really? Cool. That one was about as "thrown together in a weekend without any planning" as you can get. :)

18. Jadin

Well, that was a weedend well spent.

Even though you can clearly see where you cut off the rest of the hull - it's a kitbash after all - especially the secondary hull looks really credible and has just the right proportion to the rest of the ship...

19. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the Minmus. Very natural looking design to me.

20. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Thanks! And once again, one that was thrown together in a weekend, using a bunch of Ziz's Modular Models parts.

Maybe I should do them all like that! the ones I plan carefully take too long and don't always come out well :lol:.