Jon Favreau exits IRON MAN 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Dec 14, 2010.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I kinda saw this coming.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Favreau not to return for Iron Man 3 -- early report

That is the latest news breaking at SuperHeroHype!
    This isn't much of a surprise. Marvel dictated to him a lot more in IM2. He probably was being told the what/how/whens of what IM3 would have to look like. I guess too much executive interference stiffles the creative edge. That or he just wants other creative challenges.

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What a shame. I hope that doesn't mean RDJ is out too. Maybe Guy Ritchie can hop on board right after SH 2. Will totally have a different tone.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a surprise considering how Marvel screwed him on 2.

6. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Man the PTB are going to screw this up aren't they?

They set this great ideal to create a Marvel Movie Universe with top stars and top directors and they seem to want to mess it up first they can Norton from the Hulk and now their losing Favreau the guy that started this new franchise.:rolleyes:

7. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

After the abortion of a movie that was Iron Man 2, I'm ok with this.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Someone here is completely oblivious to the concept of "studio interference."

9. Not a shock if the behind the scenes stories coming out of IM2 are true - about Marvel shoehorning in all of the Avengers stuff over his objections.

10. JacksonArcher

Apparently Favreau was unhappy about a lot of things. He was lowballed at the beginning before he even signed on. He was forced by Marvel to include storylines and subplots that he didn't want to do including the Avengers stuff and apparently they were doing the same thing with early discussions for Iron Man 3.

What really worries me is that according to Cinema Blend it says Robert Downey Jr. is also unhappy and has similar concerns. Of course, he's contractually obligated to do Iron Man 3 but now with Favreau's departure he may not be exactly happy to do the film.

11. Aragorn

Mark Ruffalo for Iron Man!!!!

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's too bad big studios don't care about critical acclaim anymore.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to see if RDJ will just play along and still do IM3 with a new director.

What is about the third movie in a trilogy that always gets the short end of the stick.

The only that I can see being successful is "The Dark Knight Rises"

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow...this is an interesting development. Shame if he left...maybe this will leave it open for Joss to helm Iron Man 3.

15. Aragorn

Who thinks Marvel will go with some director they can easily control... like Brett Ratner.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably someone who is both

1) Cheaper

2) easier to control

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Brett Rattner? Iron Man - The Last Stand?

18. JacksonArcher

19. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Who says they don't? It's not so much not caring about critical acclaim as it is higher-ups at Marvel having a particular vision for their shared film universe. Anyone who isn't on board with that is either going to quit or be shown the door.

The problem with getting talented, big-name actors and directors is that they want to have a lot more say in the final product, and that will inevitably bring them into conflict with the aims of the studio. Norton being let go from the Hulk franchise sounded very much like this: he was heavily involved behind the scenes and apparently made some enemies at Marvel, which sealed his fate.

Like it or not, it's a business, and like any business there's plenty of politics and power plays to go around.

"Critical acclaim" is one of those things that's nice to have but hardly something you can predictably insert into a film. I'm sure Marvel would love to get that from all its movies but they no doubt care a hell of a lot more about what kind of box office they get.

20. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

HE'LL TURN IRON MAN INTO A TEENAGE GIRL AND HAVE HER FIGHT VAMPIRES AND REAVERS! OR HE'LL SAY SHE'S A REPROGRAMMED HUMAN BEING FIGHTING OTHER REPROGRAMMED HUMAN BEINGS! IN A HOVERCRAFT! BECAUSE JOSS WHEDON SSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUCKS AT SCIENCE FICTION!!!!

[deep breath]

Sorry. Had to get that off my chest.

What were we talking about?