Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ancient, Feb 16, 2009.

1. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I recall being a bit surprised when the prequel timeline revealed that the Empire had only been in existence for 19 years at the time of ANH, and that Kenobi was only 57. Guiness was 62 when filming the role, and my sense of it at the time was that Obi-Wan was supposed to be pretty old, and the Empire had been around a long time. Of course I was 7, so anything over, say 12 seemed "pretty old." :)

2. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

The way they talk about it in the OT it gives the impression that the empire's been around a long time. But I guess logically it can only be about as old as Luke unless Anikin was originally fighting against the Empire rather than being a founder.

I think that comic version of Obi Wan looks a lot like a space-cop. It makes sense.

3. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've also read the book. It was extremely unremarkable. I remember being disappointed at how lame Luke's abilities were when compared with the Zahn books. Of course it makes sense given when the books take place, but it was still a let down. The characters seemed really "off" to me as well. I think I must have got it from the library though since it's not on my shelves.

4. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    I've always enjoyed this little side-story in the Star Wars 'verse, and since it seems we're never going to see 7-8-9, I'd love to see some of the stories like this animated, straight to DVD or whatever.