Fitness Checkin

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by kimc, Jan 16, 2009.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Took the plunge and committed to my first Ironman.

So now I need to learn how to swim good. And bike good.

2. JirinPanthosa

I hooked up with a coach on TrainingPeaks to train for the Ironman. It's not till next August so right now just base building on bike and swim. He's great but the problem with no face to face contact I can't get direct feedback on form which is extremely important for especially a swimming beginner. The Y I joined has a 'Two free one on one classes' offer and I might try to use them for form feedback.

One issue I'm having is it seems almost every time I swim I have a mild cold in the morning, and I've been having sore throat symptoms, but not sure whether that's the swimming or related to the renovation going on at work.

Also some workouts are like "Bring fins, a pull buoy, a swim snorkel, and paddles!" So I'm walking into public swimming lanes with a bag full of equipment.

3. JirinPanthosa

Haven't done any max assessments lately so checked my max deadlift today.

Previous was 225. Today got 230 triple and (Bad but complete) 235 single. So some progression, though I'd prefer a little more over the timeframe.

4. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

This might be the wrong thread... some of you guys seem hardcore - fit.

One is female, small boned, 172 cms and to her horror is 62 almost 63 kilos :weep: I have never been fat and it feels foreign to me. So for the last week my hourly walk has been supplemented with 40 minutes aerobics. One meal a day Monday to Friday. Two meals a day Saturday and Sunday. Lost a kilo and plan on keeping this up till Christmas. Should be at my goal of 59 kilos by then. Essentially I would say I was pretty fit just not sportswoman fit.

5. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

Be careful about skipping meals too often...

It's often better to simply eat smaller (and better balanced) meals. It's often even suggested to eat 3x light regular meals and then have a very light snack during the day.

The problem with cutting back hard is missing out on the nutrients you NEED in your diet. Getting more active also means you may need a little more every now and then. Especially in the 30-60 minutes after a serious workout - you will need protein and some carbs (a mix of simple and complex) to recover.

You don't have to eat a huge meal after a workout, since you aren't going for muscle gain, just shooting for loosing weight and maybe toning...

Refuge likes this.
  6. JirinPanthosa

I lost 60 pounds when I got into running. Part of it was the running, but the big key to the diet changes is to gradually make small changes.

The reason a lot of people don't stay with diets is because the changes are too radical so they're constantly hungry and never enjoying food. To make changes I stayed with I made more small changes. Stop having muffins at dunkin donuts. Have tea or coffee instead of coke. Have a third of the pasta package for a meal instead of half. If I need a snack have a couple pinches of sunflower seeds or almonds instead of a candy bar. Make one small change, get used to it, make the next.

My Ironman training program has been ramping up. Individual workouts haven't been that hard but the amount of them has been tough. Can only imagine what it will be like in the few months before the event. But my body seems to be responding, my morning heart rate variance readings have gone from averaging around 60 to averaging around 150 in the last three weeks. (This indicates my body has been in recovery mode and adapting more to the training.)

Kor likes this.
  7. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Okay, guys, confession time for me... I'm the heaviest I've ever been, and I'm not sure how to proceed. I just tried a cinnamon supplement if there's any chance of my body not properly processing sugar. I'm up and down constantly during the day...
    So how do I fix myself? Should I try a detox diet briefly to get the ball rolling?

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Interesting
    https://radio.foxnews.com/2017/05/01/hearing-non-existent-booms-you-arent-alone/

If you listen to Adam Conover, the detox movement is a fraud.

Maybe there is a silver bullet after all:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-claim-cure-obesity-identifying-fat-gene.html

Assuming anyone makes it:
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...le-business-model-goldman-sachs-analysts-say/

Sometimes I wonder if anyone wants cures to be found. Big pharma wants diabetics.Individuals who don't like the availability of some foods use health scares to try to change eating habits.

There are those who want to force us all to be jocks. How I get sick of hearing crossfit junkies talking about their "core."

RCAN1 may be the key. Then too, the person behind the find is named Keating...

9. Peach Wookiee

And then I stepped on the scale and discovered that from a month ago, I have now dropped 10 pounds.

10. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

My weight stagnates. And I have to keep myself from all of those yummy food threads here.

Armus likes this.
  11. Peach Wookiee

I don't know what I'm doing, honestly. But in the past two weeks, I've unexpectedly regained some lost mobility.

KimMH and Kilana2 like this.
  12. JirinPanthosa

I used to be much heavier than I am now. Over the course of my running went from 210 down to about 153, then gradually got back to 168. It stopped going up but I can't seem to get it to go down again. Nothing unhealthy about my current weight, just I really want to get a good Ironman time and that 15 pounds could make a 30 minute difference.

An article I read suggested that for the swim speed, the relationship between speed and weight is weight to the 0.4 power, for biking speed, it's weight to the 0.32 power, but for the running part, it's linear. So that's 4% improvement in swim, 3% improvement in bike, and 10% improvement in run speed.

I would agree detoxes are a scam. Some people who use them feel better when they start them because they've stopped eating all the unhealthy stuff they were eating before, but it'd be much better and more effective if you just ate a balanced healthy diet.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    KimMH, Kor and StarCruiser like this.
  13. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

^Bingo - Bimbo - Bozo...

14. JirinPanthosa

I'm realizing if I am going to be swimming 2-3 times a week, I should probably keep my hair much shorter.

Turns out, chlorine is not very good for hair.

15. JirinPanthosa

Indoor long bikes are the worst thing ever. Starting to think I’d rather freeze my fingers off outdoors for these workouts.

KimMH likes this.
  16. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

It's terrible on bleached hair too :confused:

My fitness has improved from last posting... but so have these unfortunate aches and pains.

KimMH likes this.
  17. RPOW0614

RPOW0614 Commander Red Shirt

I started going to the gym last year.
    I go twice a week and try to keep from hurting myself with my exercise.
    I am 56, 6"-0", 235lbs. Five years ago I was 265lbs.
    Last year I got down to 220lbs but seemed to think that was a license to eat.

My workout is:
    10 minute warm up on elliptical
    Approx. 45 mins weight training. Working from shoulders down and finishing with Abs.
    20 more minutes on elliptical for cardio\fat burn
    Planks and stretching for cool down. 15 mins.
    Approx. just under 2 hours of working out.

I have not read all of the post but some of you seem very into the physical fitness. That is not my goal. I just want to be in better shape and a little thinner.

KimMH likes this.
  18. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Am at the high end of a normal BMI and I don't exercise nearly enough- my problem is food- I love to eat all the wrong kinds of food- realize the adage about 75% of the work is in the kitchen is sadly true for me.

19. JirinPanthosa

Barring special occasions I’m pretty good about eating well, only exception is the moderate drinking.

For me the key to improving my diet was doing it gradually. Substitute one unhealthy thing for a healthier thing, get used to it, substitute one more thing.

KimMH likes this.
  20. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

How’s the training going? I’ve never done more than a 5k so your task seems huge!