Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Perhaps.

But it's still a depressing concept to think about. Isn't that understandable?

Also, what about Daniels? Specifically, "Shockwave" (I and II). Isn't the city that Daniels is using as a base of operations, supposed to be San Francisco?

2. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I do plan to purchase them as they come out for sure. Just not sure of the best way to read them.

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Who ever said that was Earth?

You guess wrong, and, no, those details were ultimately not relevant to the story.

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I'm not so sure about the city in Shokewave being San Fransisco, but even if it was, why should it make any odds if it was, time is fluid, what has occured one second can be changed and then the next everything is different.

As for the destruction of Earth being depressing, I do not undertsand where you are coming from, given that Star Trek is fictional construct, I personally believe that the best course for the story would be the whole sale destruction of not just Earth, but the entire population, both in regards to the occupants of each planet and the planets itself. We've all read what Misters Mack, Bennet and DeCandido have said on the matter and that is, everything after will be affected by what occurs in these three books and I personally believe that the Sol System is the most logical target for that too occur as if it were Vulcan or Trill or Bajor that got wiped from the Galactic map, I don't think that such an out come would have the story telling possibilities.

5. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Dude.

Seriously, it's not that effing difficult. Read the books in the order they come out. First page to last, left to right, top to bottom. Repeat as necessary.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

I know. We *saw* time being changed. What I am saying is that, assuming that city is San Francisco (and, I believe, it was), Earth is not supposed to be destroyed.

I know it's only fiction, but I don't particularly care. It still saddens me. Perhaps that happens too easily with me. Fine. I GET IT. You'd be surprised at how little it takes. I would be lying if I claimed otherwise.

7. Brefugee

Ok, I'm far less emotional than I once was and if I was having this discussion a year ago, I would be more understanding of your view point. But who's to say that the distruction of the Federations capital world wouldn't bring the major powers of the Alpha/Beta quadrunt together in a new era of peace and understanding (And no, I am not making fun with that last comment)

8. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

The name of the Aventine and the other ships of the Vesta-class suggest ties to the Roman Empire and Roman mythology. To me, that connotes a more aggressive posture than say the Luna or Galaxy-class.

Well, the cityscape does bear a resemblance to devastation of Earth seen in ENT's "Shockwave" and the architecture does look to be human as opposed to Vulcan or Klingon.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

I mean no disrespect, but...YOU.HAVE.NO.IDEA.

Good luck with that, with the entire apparatus of Federation government gone, Starfleet Command wiped out, very little left of the Fleet itself, etc. etc.

10. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, they don't. These were struck, since the novels' monthly publishing schedule made them unnecessary.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do they books address why Ezri is no longer on DS9 and the Defiant, or is that going to be left to the DS9R?

12. Brefugee

None taken, I know I can be a hard nosed bastard on occasions.

Good luck with that, with the entire apparatus of Federation government gone, Starfleet Command wiped out, very little left of the Fleet itself, etc. etc.[/quote]

I know it's a very remote possiblitie, and only a handful of people know the entire outcome of Destiny.

Well I had to get atleast one guess wrong :rommie: and I thought they were just generally named after the hills that surrond Rome!

13. Mr. Laser Beam

And I know that I am too wildly emotional for my own good. I react to things WAY the fuck out of proportion. I fully admit this. I am completely and utterly irrational. There is no excuse for this.

So this may at least partly explain my reaction to these spoilers (if they're true).

At least this one rumor has been debunked (hasn't it?):
    that the ENTIRE STARFLEET ITSELF would be wiped out, with only 11 ships remaining

14. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty sure that was confirmed as a joke that got taken literally.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

15. Marco Palmieri

That resemblence is coincidental and overstated. The artist cobbled together the city depicted on the cover for A Singular Destiny from scratch. (I watched the progress unfold.) He'd never seen "Shockwave," and took no images or inspiration from it.

Having now compared the cover and a frame capture of the "Shockwave" city side-by-side for myself, the similarity would appear to be mainly conceptual: tall, ruined buildings. But the architecture and the execution are clearly quite different.

16. Brefugee

And if you were to describe any first world capital city, that would be it. I thought it looked a bit like Corosant from the Star Wars saga though.

17. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Not really. Hate to burst your bubble, but the thought process on the naming of that ship and its class went like this:

"Hm. I'm a big fan of the HBO series Rome, and 'Aventine' sounds like a fun name for a ship. I'll call it that."

"Hm. Now I need a name for the ship class. Let's look at a map of ancient Rome and check some sources of Roman mythology. Hey, that's right — one of those hills was the site of a temple of Vesta, and I once wrote an article about a restaurant in Denver called the Vesta Dipping Grill. It's vaguely Rome-related. 'Vesta' it is."

No ulterior motive. No plan to make the other ships of the class be named after the hills of Rome. No particular link between the class name and the ship name. No hidden meaning about the type of ship or Starfleet's agenda. Just a writer swilling whiskey late at night and free-associating while trying to finish a massive trilogy outline before a deadline.

18. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ Ladies and gentlemen, the writing process. Don't try this at home...

19. Brefugee

Now I know what that missing ingrediant is to write a decent piece of lit, a glass of Whisky (I hope it's actual scotch and not what you colonials pass as Whiskey :rommie:)

20. Marco Palmieri

Obviously you chowderheads are getting paid way too much.