The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Datak's hypocrisy is kind of amusing. He was a low caste man back on their world, a guy who would've HATED their caste system. Yet now, because he's the Boss in Defiance of their people he has no problem exploiting said same Caste system to show off his dominance and power.

Nice way of subverting the usual "Monolithic aliens" thing, having the main Alien of that species defy his Social System (being a Low Caste who is in great power) and exploit it at the same time (punishing other Low Caste-folks to keep up the system that he's the Boss).

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kull the Conqueror was a horrible movie.

Not really feeling it.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

That the one with Hercules and redheaded Tia Carrere?

4. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Yes...

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Who was a thug promoted to King in a matter of minutes.

King Ralph was overrated.

They looked at Earth 5000 years ago (adjusting for the speed of light) and it seemed empty.

We could be descendants of a previous colonization attempt from somewhere else completely different that lost it's way and whatever ship/technology responsible for that is what is fiddling with the arch and made the Old St Louis subterranean pockets.

When they say the 8 races live in peace... The Volge are a 9th race right?

Maybe there are other races the arks decided to leave behind who could just rear up?

6. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

It's video game backstory. It's not going to make any sense until they start retroactively change it once they realize how dumb certain aspects of it are.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

This recent episode was pretty good. Great character moments with Nolan and Rafe as they made their way through St. Louis and I like the friendship that seems to be developing between Irisa and the young deputy. We got some good insight into an alien culture and an interesting backstory into the Tarr family. Even the unnecessary (IMO) conspiracy story is moving along and doesn't seem to be plodding along to pad things out which one often has to be aware of in shows that juggle as many story arcs around as this does.

Yeah, I'm digging this show, it's pretty good. My only real complaint is how much longer is Mayor Amanda going to have her arm in a sling? Yeah, I get it, it's only a few days since the pilot and injuries take time to heal, so hoo-ray for continuity, I guess. But damn it, this is TV, where people are supposed to shrug off injuries that normally take weeks of hospitlization to get over. Still, when something so minor os my only quibble, I guess it means the show is doing something right.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hey, I edited the novelization of that! I thought it was a fun, Saturday-matinee type movie. :)

Finally caught up with DEFIANCE last night. Enjoying it so far.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

of course he could also not like him becuase he's a freaking gangster/loan shark.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sure, but there's certainly other evidence that Rafe doesn't like aliens in general. Last night he referred to the consequences of the terraforming as "what the aliens took from us," even though the Votans suffered as much from Arkfall as humanity did.

Besides, ThunderAeroI's original question was about why Datak wanted to kill Rafe, not why Rafe hated Datak.

11. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This show needs more scenes in that trainwagon diner. The music in there is just awesome. Makes me all nostalgic about the Fallout games which is so fitting for this show.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

So, did the whorehouse sister just pull a Chuck Cunningham?

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Mia Kirshner (Kenya) was listed in the main titles -- as was Trenna Keating (Doc Yewll) in the first-act credits, even though neither actress appeared in the episode. It's not unusual these days for the "regular" cast members of ensemble shows to skip an episode here and there, since there are just so many characters to follow.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And, conversely, an actor can sometimes be listed as a guest-star and yet appear in every episode!

(Richard Thomas has appeared prominently in pretty much every episode of THE AMERICANS so far, but is still listed in the opening credits as a guest-star . . . which makes me worry about his character's life expectancy!)

15. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same can be said for most of the cast of The Walking Dead, really. :P

Mark

16. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nirvana can make most things better...unfortunately after a few secs I realized it was a cover and not the original by Nirvana. It was decent, but lacking.

Kinda describes my feeling of the show after 2 weeks.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just started laughing when that came on, probably not the desired reaction.

18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Ratings for episode 2:

19. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I was kinda bored by the episode. I was hoping for more about how the different cultures lived and interacted with each other but nobody really discussed it they just bickered. I don't really like Datak, but I like his wife. She was probably the best thing about this episode. I loved the story she told to the McCawley girl.

I'm not really invested in the whole wedding storyline though. I usually like a bit of romance but we haven't really seen enough of the kids to invest any emotion into them yet. And the McCawleys...I don't know what it is but for me they just suck they life out of every scene they're in. Especially the father. I was really hoping that he would shoot Ben. It would at least be something different and give the show a bit of an edge but they had him back down.

I liked the little bits of the conspiracy story, but I'm a bit confused about the timeline. The ex-Mayor said that she was the only one alive who knew the rules of golf. But the main guy was only a kid when the aliens first came and there are people older than him, so it's hard to believe human knowledge of the old life got lost so quickly. Unless I'm reading too much into it and she was just making a joke about her age ;)

20. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

The thing that interests me most about the whole story is the terraforming technology. It will be used to explain everything and will itself never be explained.
    Otherwise this was a paint by numbers kind of episode and I found myself dozing off about mid way through.