Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

It's called Synergy.

Civil War I was part of a 5 year plan.

Does Marvel do that anymore?

Kirk... Marvel is pissy with FOX, and is hobbling itself because they want the Fantastic Four back, and they want the X-Men back, so they are disinterested in helping FOX milk their characters more so then they already are.

They think that the Inhumans can be bigger than mutants, and that that will make FOX suffer.

2. Solid Snack

Solid Snack Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There's been a lot of that for the past fifteen years. Around the time of the X-men movie, the X-men wore black costumes (or some variation of that) for a few years, and the school started getting new regular students again like in the films. A sequel to the graphic novel "God Loves, Man Kills" also came out around the time of X-men 2 (With Stryker and Deathstrike looking more movie-esque), and Stryker became more of a recurring X-villain as he continued to appear in the films set in the past.

Spider-Man started wearing the (non symbiote) black costume again around the time of Spider-Man 3's release (Although this also coincided with the end of Civil War with Aunt May getting shot). Other changes perhaps inspired by the Raimi movies were a slightly different Green Goblin look, Doctor Octopus getting a jacket as opposed to whatever that is he normally wears, and biggest of all, organic webshooters.

After some 50 years, Hulk finally became a regular Avenger again around the time the movie came out.

There's quite a few other examples. DC comics kind of does this too, the Christopher Reeve movies had some influence on the post crisis Superman, the Gotham city of Batman comics started to look a bit more stylized in the 90's due to the Burton films (and Batman started to do more solo work instead of Robin/Nightwing) Around the time Man of Steel came out, Superman became more moody like the film version (Although that seems to be movie around now that the 90's Superman is back)

Funny thing is, with all the problems with FOX, X-men Apocalypse was actually kind of an original Five movie in a way, you've got rookie Jean and Cyclops, along with Beast, Angel (although not a good guy), and even Havok who was sort of one of them later on (Although Iceman isn't there). Plus they're fighting Apocalypse, who before he fought the other X-men debuted in X-factor, a team that was the original five.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's interesting. I'm beyond done with the time displaced X-Men at this point (and I say that as a big X-Men fan), but the Gold book sounds good.I really like that team (minus Old Man Logan, but as a character he's been better in the Marvel Universe then he was in his own terrible story), so I'm excited for that. I'm enjoying Marvel comics overall decently right now, I like the Inhumans stuff and things like that, but the X-Men have needed a bit of a change, and this should be a good step. Now, if only they could do something like this for The Avengers, maybe bring back a version of one of the classic line ups in at least one book :sigh:

4. Solid Snack

The lineup reminds me a bit of Excalibur minus the Braddocks, and with later member Collosus. Basically in the late 80's the group was composed of those X-men who had suffered massive injuries during the Mutant Massacre, and were recuperating in Scotland when the X-men were presumed dead during Fall of the Mutants, so they kind of formed their own team in Britain with Captain Britain. Later, the team featured Collosus after he left both the X-men and Magneto's Acoylytes for a while, as well as Rahne (Also of New Mutant/X-factor but also from Scotland) and had a few other members such around as well.

Eventually they were re-absorbed into the team in 98, minus Rachel-Pheonix who at this time was 'sort of' dead (She basically went to Cable's timeline and grew old taking care of him, although later that was retconned/changed and she returned to 'our' timeline eventually, but didn't fully return to X-men until the later X-treme X-men issues).

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Well...I did have high hopes for X-Men Blue and X-Men Gold--but those are now both easy passes for me. I think I have a general dislike for any time-displaced X-Men after reading a very long time ago that writers (other than Chris Claremont) had "difficulty" writing Bishop because he was time-displaced. Now there are time-displaced X-Men all over the place--with the exception of Bishop.

And having Storm move aside so Kitty Pride can take over?...oh, hell no. That's like Picard being second fiddle to Wesley.

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

F%^K Marvel

http://www.avclub.com/article/mariko-tamaki-launches-new-jennifer-walters-hulk-s-242792

In a move to prove that DC is not the only company that can completely miss the point of their characters, She-Hulk is now getting ruined, at least until this shit book is cancelled (hopefully quickly, since Marvel generally can't make B-List hero books last very long nowadays). I'm sure she'll be brought back as the normal version as soon as this pile of crap is gone, but until then She-Hulk has basically been new 52'd. As DC keeps climbing back, Marvel falls deeper into the damn toilet.

Also, to continue the "Marvel's New 52" thing, we're losing one of the few heroes who loves her powers and saving people and they're just making her into her (now dead) cousin, but with lady parts. From happy and adventurous to moody and violent. That was DC's New 52 in a nutshell, and look how well that worked out for them. Well, screw them. I won't even glance at this book, the very first She-Hulk book that I refuse to touch.

Between Marvel and DC, my two favorite heroes (She-Hulk and the original Captain Marvel) are now unreadable things that don't even resemble the real characters. I mean, at least She-Hulk isn't lost forever like Cap is. This garbage book will get cancelled, and I can guarantee she'll be brought back in her classic form. Unlike Cap, where the giant a-hole "Shazam" is here to stay, at least until Geoff Johns retires from DC Comics.

Actually, I just thought about it. When it comes to my favorite heroes, they're almost all screwed. Here's my top 10 favorite heroes (either company) list, and I'll explain what I mean:

1. Captain Marvel (DC Comics) Turned into unheroic a-hole named "Shazam"
    2. She-Hulk Now just angsty Bruce Banner with lady parts
    3. Power Girl Turned into sex object in Mr. Terrific, then sex fiend in World's Finest, now just bland super person #34 in Earth 2 Society
    4.Captain America (Steve Rogers) Brainwashed into being a Nazi
    5. Deadpool
    6. Batgirl (Cassandra Cain) Not batgirl, but admittedly still around and resembles her old self
    7. Oracle (Barbara Gordon) Doesn't exist, current Barbara Gordon is a 21 year old (who is usually drawn to look like a teenager) party girl version of Batgirl, more into twitter then being an actual hero
    8. Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers) Not Ms. Marvel any more, and a gigantic fascist in Civil War II
    9. Batman (Bruce Wayne)
    10. Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) Got randomly knocked up because "drama", she really doesn't resemble the character i enjoyed in both Bendis's books and her old solo book any more in any aspect

So, of my top 10 Batman just basically recovered from Scott Snyder's terrible control and is a good character again, Deadpool has stayed solid (if not as good as he was in his first solo and Cable/Deadpool runs) and Cassandra Cain, while not Batgirl, is fairly close to her old self and gets a spot in the pretty good Detective Comics run that's happening right now. Only three of my top 10 favorite heroes are any good. Even with DC doing better right now, its a rough time to be a comic fan, at least when it comes to my favorite heroes :sigh: I mean, I like a lot more heroes then just these 10, and characters like superman and Wonder Woman are making huge comebacks right now that I really enjoy, but these are still my favorites, and it sucks to lose so many of them.

7. Solid Snack

Speaking of Hulk, the new Red Hulk is apparently not Ross at all, but a powered up "New Avengers" character.

It's a bit funny-during the Doc Green story arc the Hulk goes to the trouble of de-powering the rest of the "Hulk family" except Jen and Lyra, and then suddenly two new ones come up and Jen becomes more savage.

Speaking of savage Jen, it has been done a few times before (Geoff John's Avengers run, and soon after that Avengers Disassembled, as well in her own title a few times), although only for really a short time.

8. Guy Gardener

I am disturbed that a 16 year old girl, has the AI version of Tony Stark for her Jimminy Cricket.

She'll be dead and pregnant by 17.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Clone Conspiracy #3 had a major reveal, but it didn't really do much for me, because I couldn't remember the last thing that happened to SPOILER. I thought SPOILER had been alive for awhile so I guess I was wrong about that. it gets really confusing with all this clone garbage. but i'm loving the story. I think Dan Slott has been writing some of the best Spidey stories ever for the past couple years. and Jim Cheung just might be my number one favorite artist it's criminal he does so little work

10. Guy Gardener

Champions 3.

Fictional Middle eastern country overrun by terrorists who murder any women who know how to read. Are these kids dumb? They're making claims that Political issues are too complicated for them, because they don't want to be mistaken for invaders and accidentally take over the country, since you know, they have a Hulk on the team... But then the story got turned on the ear, because it wasn't an oppressive government who didn't want girls learning how to read, it was hillbilly marauders, which means other than explaining your presence, it wasn't a political matter at all... Who were usurping/annexing the government of Sharzad? So it was the government, or this place only now had warlords, an might as well be international waters?

If the government is in transition, nonpresent and unrepresented or recognized, since it's just hillbillies with ak-47s, who want to throw every piece of technology with a screen into a giant bonfire, this makes Sharzad unclaimed? Why the hell can't the Champions invade, and install a puppet regime of their choosing? Or just reinstall whoever fumbled the place weeks earlier?

Isn't SHIELD following Choi?

If the Awesome Hulk takes on an Army of little girl killers, there's going to be 10 hellicarriers overhead, with plans to put him down before he sets his eyes on a first world country like Belgium...

I cannot fathom how after 22 pages, and nothing resolved, the Champions flew off into the sunset as if there weren't still more hillbillies still killing children.

Oh.

They have a Vision on the team.

Without any effort, she can move, delte and create money to totally change the status quo of every player in this tiny Middle Eastern State. If her opposition even partially lives in the 21st century, she has them, anyone by the short and curlies.

11. The Lonely Man

The Lonely Man Commander Red Shirt

Dropped all my Marvel books yesterday. Been really disillusioned with Marvel for while now what with the constant reboots, replacing classic characters and huge mega events that ultimately mean nothing except more money for me to shell out.

I may renege on Old Man Logan as I do enjoy that but the rest are gone.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yep. That was pretty bad.

13. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

This has especially been the case for me in 2016.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

BTW, I stumbled upon this and it's so compellingly horrifying that I had to share it somewhere (and this was the best possible place). If you have an incredible amount of time, I'd recommend reading The Last War in Albion

It's a very well-researched analysis about the history of British comics and the rivalry/hatred between Grant Morrison and Alan Moore. Sounds interesting? I thought so. However, it's the biggest meandering mess filled with purple prose that I've ever seen. It's basically, why write a sentence when you can write three paragraphs? However, it's still very interesting if you can power through it. I've only made it four parts and haven't gotten anywhere.

15. LJones41

How did you come up with this scenario?

16. Guy Gardener

I read the book.

That's what is happening.

All it's doing at the moment is being Yoda and teaching her how to fight.

Give it time.

She'll pick her poison.

17. LJones41

Yoda? Are we talking about the same person?

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's a @Guy Gardener post, you'll have to read between the lines and run it through the Universal Translator before you can grasp his meaning.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  19. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So it's a general that looks and sounds like Ross, only his name is... Maverick. General Maverick.

What's going on with Marvel anymore? All of the characters it seems, even General Ross, have been replaced newer characters? Is this just to get more copyrights going or something?

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So that's a totally new character as Red Hulk then? I had hear they were bringing in a new Red Hulk, but I assumed it was at least going to be a known character.
    I do agree with you about the characters. I'm pretty sure I've even posted about confusion in this thread already.