The 2015 F1 World Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by MacLeod, Nov 26, 2014.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the 2014 season is over and done with Lewis Hamilton taking his 2nd World Drivers Championship and Mercedes it's 1st World Constructors Championship.

So will the Mercedes be as dominant in 2015 as it was in 2014 or will it's rivals be able to close the gap, and how will the returning Honda engine fair.

But we are sill in the silly season, who will be driving for McLaren next year, but it looks like two rules will be changed for next year.

The unpopular double points look set to be dropped and standing restarts (another unpopular move) look set to be scrapped before it comes in.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116953

And it looks like for the first time since 1994 there will be no nummber 1 on a car as Lewis wants to retain the number 44 which he is allowed under the rules.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the provisional calander for 2015 championship has been announced and it good be a record breaking season at 21 GP's with the suprise inclusion of Korea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30319421

15 March: Australia
    26 July: Hungary
    29 March: Malaysia
    23 August: Belgium
    12 April: China
    6 September: Italy
    19 April: Bahrain
    20 September: Singapore
    3 May: Korea*
    27 September: Japan
    10 May: Spain
    11 October: Russia
    24 May: Monaco
    25 October: United States
    7 June: Canada
    1 November: Mexico
    21 June: Austria
    15 November: Brazil
    5 July: Great Britain
    29 November: Abu Dhabi
    19 July: Germany
    * to be confimed

3. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Ok, my not very bold predictions for 2015:

-Alonso won't win a race but Button will (maybe 1, late in the year) and their equal treatment will cause Alonso to leave again at season's end, maybe to retire.
    -Vettel won't win a race, and like Jacques Villeneuve, may never win again. Raikkonen will win at least one race but Ferrari's problems will continue.
    -Massa may win more than one race if Williams can build on 2014. He may be Best of the Rest.
    -Lewis and Nico will be the leaders for much of the year but I think the confidence of a second championship will buoy Lewis to a third title.
    -Red Bull will continue to scrape by. I would bet even money that Dieter will bail in another year or two if they continue to underperform. Ricciardo may steal a win or two.
    Overall, I don't think 15 will be the Merc whitewash that 14 was. However, barring some major change in engine development regs, Merc and Williams are top of the heap right now.
    Honda will certainly have a second team in 16. Maybe Sauber if they're still around?

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

5. Lonemagpie

Re: F1 2015 Championship Thread

Pre-season testing has started. So far Mercedes were straight in with a great performance, Ferrari look very much improved, McLaren-Honda a bit improved -ish, but haven't gone for a flying lap yet, and Williams and Red Bull pretty quick as per last year.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the 1st test of the year has gotten under way at Jerez, with Mercedes looking strong, but Vettel topping the time sheets. But how much are each team masking their cars true performance?

7. Lonemagpie

Also, can this be merged with the other thread?

8. Lonemagpie

Yay! Thanks, mods.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

10. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I'm starting to buy the "fumes in the car" rumor for Alonso. It would take time for burned lungs to heal. Wish the team would come clean on what happened.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm sure all will be revelaed in time, as the question likely won't go away until it is answered.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well with only a couple of days left to go before the season starts with Free Practice, the question remains who will drive for Sauber with two different courts ruling that Geido Van Der Garde does have a contract for a race seat. Last I checked 3 into 2 doesn't go. But there is an appeal on Thursday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31828900

The question if the appeal court upholds the previous decisions does Sauber go ahead with Nasr and Ericsson, in violation of that order? Should one or more finish could other teams appeal the result due the team being in violation of a court ruling? Should anything happen i.e a driver injury involving the Saubers how would that play out as they drove in violation of a court ruling. It's a potential legal minefield.

13. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's finally here. :beer:

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The question is to a pull an all nighter, or set the alarm early for the Australian GP.

15. Pingfah

I'm going to stream it in the afternoon. I can't enjoy it when i'm tired. Plus I like to drink beer when I watch it.

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

So two big questions remain.

1.>Will Manor make it to the grid
    2.>Sauber, what will the next development in the fiasco be.

17. Pingfah

Not a fan of Jenson's new slug balancing act.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well looks like Mercedes have a sizeable advantage over the rest of the field 1.4 seconds, unless the likes of Ferrari, Honda and Renault are sandbagging and lulling us into a false sense of security. What am I saying if any team is doing that it's likely to be Mercedes after all why run at full power if you don't have to.

19. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Too much Squadron Leader, not enough glittery slug costume.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Looks like Red Bull are throwing yet another tandrum with (yet) a quit threat

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/518465/Furious_Red_Bull_issues_F1_quit_threat/

It's not Mercedes fault that Renault didn't design as good an enginge as Mercedes, Ferrari seemed to have made a step forward so the fault is with Renault and not the rules, the engine rules were agreed to by Renault had they the best enginge I doubt they would be saying it's unfair and saying the rules should be changed. They had 4 years with the dominant car. The history of F1 is fulled with one particular team dominating for a period of time.