DVD Release Date?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral_Young, May 28, 2009.

1. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

For sure.

2. TrekGuide.com

TrekGuide.com Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My parents have a new HDTV, and I leave all my good DVDs, such as "Lord of the Rings," "Iron Man," and "Star Trek: Nemesis" at their house to watch on the big screen when I'm there.

The DVDs look fine on the HDTV -- I don't notice any pixelation or other quality problems. The DVDs look just as good as any HD satellite broadcast channels on the TV.

Maybe my eyesight (and my parents') is not so good that I need a Blu-ray player. ...

3. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cable and satellite are notorious for severely over-compressing their HD signals. Have you ever scene over-the-air HD or Blu-ray on the same set?

4. wekkuli

wekkuli Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It depends very much on the size of the screen - with 32" you won't notice much difference between DVD and Blu-ray. But with 42" and over, the difference will be very notable (go over 50" and it's like night and day).

Here is a comparison of video resolutions (the red is DVD, the blue is Blu-ray on Full HD screen.):
    http://www.justintylermoore.com/uploads/hd-chart.png

So, you'll need quite a large screen to take full visual advantage of 1080p.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  5. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

It is - however - very important if you are watching DVDs on an HDTV to output a progressive signal IMHO, that makes far more difference than upscaling.

6. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

I got mine in the mail yesterday from Amazon. You don't have yours yet?

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

But again, if you have a decent HDTV, it will do a better job of deinterlacing the signal than the DVD player would.

8. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely. To be stunned by my 32" TV, I have to be no more than 6 feet away. At the couch distance a well mastered up-rezzed DVD looks just as good.

9. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Cruel, cruel! :lol: ...or just delusional? In which case: "there, there, dear..."

10. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Hey, I always get my Trek stuff early. Like action figures...:cool:

11. Vicki

Vicki Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not until it closes in the theaters and we have no idea when that will be.

Never mind getting to the second run theaters, it's still showing in the mall fauxIMAX theaters!

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My HD-DVD player upconverts regular DVDs. There is almost no difference with HD source material. Eventually I will get a bluray player.

RAMA

13. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well then one has to define "decent" a bit more precisely, I have never seen a "decent" UK model that can, though I'm sure some of the ones I'd class as "silly money" for a TV can. Some cost 1000s of pounds, which I'd class as car, not TV money. Is there a particular make/model you feel has this ability?

Certainly my Samsung one does not appear to do much in that respect at all, the Upscaled progressive signal through HDMI I have from one Pioneer DVD player looks better than the Component progressive but not-upscaled signal from a Yamaha player.

14. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral