KISS Won’t Perform At Their Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Shaka Zulu, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Yes, the RRHOF sadly (IMHO) bowed down to pressure and inducted KISS (I like to think of them as PISS, instead) into the RRHOF. But, the stupid no talent losers won't go to the ceremony because the RRHOF asked for the original lineup (Peter Criss, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley) and Simmons and Stanley only want to play with the current lineup (guitarist Tommy Thayer and drummer Eric Singer, the current and respective new versions of Frehley’s and Criss’s on-stage characters, the “Spaceman” and the “Catman.”)

If this isn't being a bunch of assholes to the organization after it extended the olive branch, I don't know what is.

KISS Won’t Perform At Their Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction

If it hasn't already been shown, I don't think that KISS deserves to be in the RRHOF; I think that the council should have stuck to it's guns on this matter. However, others here like/love them, and will have a different opinion. Fire away, and all apologies if this has already been posted.

2. EnterpriseF

EnterpriseF Commander Red Shirt

I agree with you 100%. I never liked their music as a kid and I sure as hell don't like them now. Never understood why people like this drek and ignore bands like Iron Maiden.

3. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    Not really a fan. I think I liked one of their songs and it wasn't good enough to bother finding out what it was.
    I think KISS gained popularity because of their shows. Music sucked, but they put on an entertaining show at the time. You can see the effects of marks they've left on the music industry by showing that you can gain success in the music industry simply by looking the part.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Oh, please.:rolleyes:

Whether you are a fan or not, there is no denying the influence that KISS has had on the music industry, other musicians and Rock and Roll in general.

Given that, and the bands longevity, not putting KISS in the RRHOF would be a serious disservice to the band, its millions of fans and the Hall itself.

And it does suck that the band won't play at the induction. I sense the massive egos of Gene Simmons and Paul "Prima Donna" Stanley at play here.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  5. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not a Kiss fan myself, but they didn't do anything worse than countless pop acts before them had done: Give kids something new, fun and different to get in to, and something naughty enough to shock the parents a little. The fact that they were calculated to meet that formula is beside the point. I don't care if they (or anyone else) get in the HoF (though for pre-'80s American "metal" I'd personally vote for Blue Oyster Cult), but I am glad that that they didn't go in before Alice Cooper.

ETA:
    Yeah, I don't think there's much doubt about that.

6. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Gene Simmons said that they never refused to play with Criss and Frehley, but that they wanted to include the current members as well (who have been in the band longer than Criss and Frehley were). It's hard to believe they can't come up with something for their fans...

As for their music...meh. They were certainly fun and novel in the 70's, but their songs are pretty simple and sort of lowest common denominator, IMHO. I loved them when I was 12, but haven't bought or listened to an album of theirs in 30+ years.

7. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As much as I'd like to see the band back together, so to speak, I think it would be a little awkward at this point for the original four to try to perform at the HOF show. Too much time has passed, too much water under the bridge. If it were the "reunion" era it would be a different story.

I think Simmons and Stanley are entertainment and marketing geniuses. They turned what might have been just another mediocre "here today, gone tomorrow" band into an industry that has lasted 40 years. Regardless of their musical talent, that to me is an enormous feat.

It would be cool to have the original four, with Thayer and Singer, in the audience while a group of musicians who were influenced by the band play a medley of the hits.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

KISS deserves to be in. I'm relatively indifferent to them (I'll listen to their songs, but I don't think I own any), but it's still hard to deny they're "scary" bubblegum pop meets metal music was important to rock.

As for not performing. Meh, it's happened many times before. Sex Pistols, Black Sabbath, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Guns N' Roses, David Bowie, Paul McCartney. Both good and bad, assholes and seemingly reasonable people have all chosen not to perform.

9. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kiss should have been in years ago. The real injustice is that DEVO isn't in there yet.

10. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, since it is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and not the Rock and Roll Hall of Good Rock Bands, they should probably go in.

They are total shite though.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Like 'm or not, Kiss deserve the recognition.

That said, the RRHOF is a bunch of self appointed self aggrandizing jerks who shouldn't be given the respect they get. Its not a collection of the great and good in music, set up to give credit where it's due, it's a profit making commercial venture with its own self serving agenda.

12. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Weren't they on the back cover (or somewhere) on some early issues of Starlog Magazine? I don't care for them or their music, but IIRC, they were the only band featured by the magazine.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I gotta say, I'm with KISS on this one. Why should any lineup other than the current one be expected to perform? Lineups change all the time. KISS still exists today, and it's Simmons/Stanley/Thayer/Singer. So why shouldn't that lineup be the one performing?

14. Turtletrekker

^Because THAT is the line-up that made them big. THAT is the line-up from when they were bigger than God. THAT LINE-UP IS THE REASON THEY ARE BEING INDUCTED IN THE FIRST PLACE!

I couldn't possibly care less about Eric Singer or (especially) Tommy Thayer. They are just substitutes for the real thing. If they weren't, then Gene would let them create their own IDs (like Eric Carr and Vinnie Vincent did back in the day) instead of trying to pass them off as Ace and Peter.

The last time KISS came into town, they advertised a meet & greet/photo op for $2000. If it were $500 a piece to meet Ace, Gene, Paul and Peter, (and if I actually had that kind of money), I would possibly do that. But, AFAIC, this set up was $1000 to meet Gene and Paul and their sidekicks.

Without Ace and Peter, Paul would still be driving a cab and Gene would still be teaching school in Harlem and KISS would never have been.

THAT is why.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

^ So what if one of the original members had died? Then obviously the 'classic' lineup could never be reconstructed. What would you have them do then?

16. Turtletrekker

Well, obviously, that would be an entirely different situation, but that distinction is irrelevant in this situation as none of them are dead.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

^ So you think that all bands should be required to perform with their original lineups if they are ever inducted into the HOF? You must not be a Rush fan, then. ;)

18. Turtletrekker

19. Mr. Laser Beam

^ You've never heard of Rush? Seriously?

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

At least the line up that made them famous.