Does Reginald Barclay have social anxiety disorder and/or Aspergers?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by I am not Spock, May 29, 2013.

1. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

Re: Does Reginald Barclay have social anxiety disorder and/or Asperger

It's pretty clear he's a hypochondriac, and I can totally identify with that. I think that's why I like the episode "Realm of Fear" a little too much. Because I've been in situations where I thought I had some fatal condition for days at a time. It sucks!

2. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I just think he has some mild social anxiety/awkwardness.

Transporter phobia is something I can understand, and Barclay's not alone in that. McCoy and Pulaski hated the thing too.

And if holodecks actually existed, I'm sure holoaddiction would be a major, major social problem, but not indicative of greater mental illness on the addict.

I think Barclay's biggest problem was that he was a very intelligent, but otherwise average guy stuck on a ship full of near-perfect people.

3. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

That's a good point about Picard. He was the most fair to Barclay in that episode, I think. Guinan as well. La Forge and Riker were a bit mean to him in Hollow Pursuits.

As I said above, I can relate to the character, but obviously I'm not a genius engineer.

TV writers often get mental conditions wrong, true. One positive and popular Aspie character in recent memory is Sheldon Cooper on the Big Bang Theory (the writers deny he has it, but he screams it to me, and to many others, and I have AS myself)

Barclay probably just has severe social phobia

4. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

Barclay was probably that awkward kid everybody picked on and it's left him with low self esteem issues. Wouldn't surprise me at ALL if he had to deal with a ton of bullying most of his life and career. Maybe he never spoke up because either nobody bothered to do anything about it or he was too afraid to make waves and make things worse for himself.

I may or may not be speaking from personal experience. >>;;

5. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Yeah. It was a bit sad to see that in the enlightened 24th century, there was still people who got made fun of and excluded.

Picard and Guinan seemed fair to him. And he did get accepted later on. Deanna coming to check on him when he reappeared in Voyager.

6. BennieGamali

BennieGamali Commander Red Shirt

Barclay struck me as a little more than just shy. He was strange. He had a holodeck program full of people he knew. I'm not certain, but I do not think that is completely normal. (ofc it's not normal because holodecks do not excist but you know what I mean) He also lied and didn't do things he was supposed to do. (something people do all the time, but not like he did) Not sure if I would say he had a dissorder or anything. But he's not just shy. He is a bit odd. Just imagine walking into someone's holodeck program and there you are. Dressed as a damsel in distress or some foolish knight with a silly mustache, and there comes Broccoli to save the day. I would be creeped out...

All that being said. He is a great character and sweet in a weird way.
    And the actor is just awesome. Murdock from the A-team! And he plays a Murdock in Baby5. Ehehe

7. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As somebody that "suffers" from said disorders (I'm kinda accepting of my aspergers, anxiety has crippled my life though!), I wouldn't be surprised if Barclay had them but I doubt it's intentional. Just the geek archetype, which often fits in with these disorders.

Love Barclay, one of the most relatable Star Trek characters to me.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

True, he appeared to suffer from at least self esteem and/or self confidence issues. And if you suffer from them or have suffered from for long periods of times you know how they can impact on your life.

9. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love that the blind dude made fun of the awkward dude.

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ You wouldn't call Geordi blind if you could see what he could. :devil: