Assassin's Creed III

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JarodRussell, Sep 23, 2012.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, I've also found the fighting a lot easier in this game than the previous ones. The red triangle above the attacking guards makes blocking and countering a lot easier. In the past games you pretty much just had to guess.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So I'm supposed to hit block as they swing? I've just been mashing the button because like I said I'm surrounded by four dudes at a time constantly attacking.

The part I switched the game off last night was in Sequence 3 where I'm following two dudes talking and I can't be seen by anyone. The time before that it was freeing the slaves from the warship... after a dozen tries I finally figured out to jump in the ocean and scale the exterior of the ship.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yes, you have to block their swings before you can counter. Newer games, I've noticed, tend to respond a lot worse when you mash the controls.

The freeing the slaves part caught me up, too. Stealth missions in general kind of bother me, especially when they make stealth mandatory.

4. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Mr Light, when following those two dudes just move between different hiding spots (benches, groups of people, carts of hay, tall grass...). I don't know which eavesdropping mission you're referring to (there are a few) but that should help. If it doesn't, just look up the mission on Google.

When it comes to combat, you can generally mash the strike button (X on PS3). However you can't actually mash the block and counter buttons. Though AC games are pretty easy when it comes to timing (when compared to Arkham Asylum/City for instance). Hell, time even slows down a bit when you block a "badass" enemy.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I am trying to save Terry from falling over the waterfall, and I can't get to him in time! I also keep getting attacked by wolves.

6. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Run along the river until you catch up... then just jump into the water.

Wolves are quite easy to kill, I took like six of them out in about 10 seconds yesterday. Just wait for them to attack and press the on-screen prompts. Bears are a little harder (more buttons the press) but there's a pattern to the buttons you have to press as well.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, I was trying to save him without jumping in the water because it specifically tells you that's what you're supposed to do.

8. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

The new combat system threw me a bit at first, but once you get down to it it's pretty much the old one with slightly remapped controls. I only finished Revelations about a month ago so unlearning the old finger movements took a few hours.

For folk who are still in the prologue (ie anyone who's character doesn't look like the guy on the box) - you might be a bit dismayed by how linear and handholdy the game is, and how the prologue seems to be never ending. Seriously stick with it. My game didn't get going properly until about 8 hours in and after that it was Assassin's business as usual.

Anyone absolutely adore the naval missions? I was worried about them but god, they're perfect. Ship to ship combat is simple but so well designed

9. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Ah right, the Full synchronization thingy... that is actually misleading, I'm pretty sure you have to jump into the water in the end (to save him) you just can't get wet beforehand. ;)

Yeah I totally love the naval missions, best part of the game.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ah. There are huge trees hanging over the river. I figured I'd just need to get above him and save him by grabbing his hand or something.

Guess I'll try jumping in the river.

11. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ You actually get an on-screen prompt (the same as when jumping from a tower into a bale of hay) when you have to jump. It's right before the waterfall though.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Holy crap! I just finished Sequence 3 and
    Haytham was a Templar!!!! I totally did not see that coming!!!

13. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah same here. I was sitting there, with my mouth wide open, saying "oh fuck... oh fuck...". ;)

14. Jim Steele

^ I wish I had that jaw drop moment. Unfortunately the game itself spoils it in the animus database before you reach that point, utterly gutted that I read it

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So does that mean that
    all the Redcoats Haytham was killing were Assassins? That the Assassins are the British and the Templars are the Americans?

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have a feeling it may end up being more complicated than that. I don't know, though. I'm not that much further than you.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ooookay! I'm in Sequence 6, after playing for probably 6 hours or so, and this game is finally starting to pick up! About damn time!

18. Jim Steele

It's way, way more complicated than that

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I love this franchise, but so far (Sequence 5) I am seriously not enjoying this game. I do not care about Colonial America. I do not care about Connor. I do not care about his story or his training. I do not care about doing 20 missions of walking from one place to another. For the first time in AC history I'm skipping cut scenes. I do not want to be running around in a goddamn forest for five minutes. I do not want to be hunting game. I do not want to be very very slowly steering a ship.

Were there protracted conversations in foreign languages in the old games? I'm pretty sure there wasn't?

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I felt the same way right up until I got into Sequence 6. It now feels much more like a normal AC game.

Not much you can do about the setting, unfortunately, but the gameplay has gotten back into the form that I was used to with the other AC games.