Favorite non-Master evil time lord.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Doctorwhovian, Feb 26, 2015.

?

Favorite non-Master evil time lord

Poll closed Mar 5, 2015.
  1. Meddling Monk

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. War Chief

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Omega

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. Goth

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Borusa

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Rassilon

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. Hedin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Rani

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  9. The Valeyard

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  10. Any others I forgot.

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Although the Master has made the most impact in the series, he's not the first and only renegade from Gallifrey whose intentions are not as good as the Doctor.

There's been quite a few others:

The meddling Monk (Peter Buttorworth) appeared in the serials The Time Meddler and Dalek's Masterplan, the first of which he tried to change British history. Since then, he's mainly appearead in novels and audios. There was a rumor that Patrick Stewart wanted to play him a few years ago though.

The War Chief (Edward Breyshaw) appeared in the War Games. Sort of a "proto-master" in a sense (Of course there are some fan theories that he actually is the Master in an earlier form). Using time lord knowledge he created knock-off TARDISes (SIDRATS) for the War Lords.

Goth (Bernard Horsfall) Helped the Master in the Deadly Assasin by trying to hunt the Doctor in the Matrix. Also Bernard appeared in the War Games as a time lord but it's up for debate whether it was Goth.

Omega(Stephen Thorne, Ian Collier, Peter Davison). Omega, along with Rassilon, helped create the ancient time lords. However while creating a new star/black hole (Probably the Eye Of harmony) he ended up in an an anti-matter universe, which-if it combined with ours-would probably annihilate both. Nevertheless Omega tried twice (The second time transforming himself into a duplicate of the Doctor by stealing his biodata or something like that) to leave his universe. He's appeared in The Three Doctors and The Arc Of Infinity, plus in audios and some novels. He's also mentioned other times, especially in Rememberance of the Daleks where we learn that the Doctor hid one of Omega's gadgets-The Hand Of Omega-in 1963 London.

Hedin (Michael Gough) an old friend of the Doctors, Hedin was Omega's accomplice in Arc of infinity. Played by the late Michael Gough, who had previously portrayed the Celestial Toymaker. Gough is also known for his role as Alfred in the Burton and Schumacher Batman films.

Borusa (Phillip Latham among others). A respected Time Lord, and mentor of the Doctors, Borusa went nuts with power in The Five Doctors trying to be immortal. Rassilon turned him into a stone decoration. Before that, he appeared in every time lord serial in the Fourth and Fifth Doctor eras.

Rassilon (Timothy Dalton) Although appearing as a mostly benign hologram of sorts, and pretty much the founder of the time lord society in The Five Doctors and other stories, Rassilon-aka the Narrator-was apparentally ressurected and tried to bring about the End Of Time in umm...The End Of Time. There is some debate as to whether the Five Doctors version of Rassilon is the same as the one played by Timothy Dalton.

The Valeyard (Michael Jayston) Apparentally a dark amalgamation of the Doctor's dark side, or somehow a future Doctor. He put his 'other self' on trial but it was a ploy mainly to get his regenerations (or something) It's possible he's also connected in some way to The Dream Lord from Amy's Choice who has similar characteristics although a vastly different personality. Although he survived his apparent 'death' in Trial of A Time Lord and became Keeper of The Matrix (sort of), the character-despite many appearences in the novels and audios-has only been mentioned once since in The Name Of The Doctor.

Morbius (Stuart Fell) A evil Time Lord who, after a devestating war, only remained as a brain. Preserved by one of his followers, Dr. Solon, Solon tried to find him a new body. Of course, he wanted the Doctor's. However he had to mainly deal with being in a body with a fish bowl head, and the body parts of various aliens. Last seen being chased by the Sisterhood of Karn and falling down a cliff.

The Rani (Kate O Mara) A female time lord who seemed to favor genetic experiments and unethical science over the Master who preferred conquest. She teamed up with him in Mark Of The Rani, and later was present when the Sixth Doctor regenerated into the Seventh (Although her plans were foiled by the latter) and possibly responsible for it too, although that's also up for debate.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Omega. And I do hope he returns some day. Don't forget his device!

And thanks for this. It reaffirms that except for Romana, Time Lords as presented on the show are generally antagonists to the Doctor. Or just dicks.

Mark

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd have to say Goth. At least he had the guts to personally enter the VR simulation and go after the Doctor himself (The Deadly Assassin). You wouldn't see Rassilon getting his hands dirty like that, would ya? ;)

4. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

^It's possible that the Five Doctors version of Rassilon was actually in the Matrix.

EDIT: Do'h! I forgot Morbius!

5. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But the War Chief is the Master... :p

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to go with The Rani. Ignoring her horrible second appearance in Time and the Rani, I liked her as a villain. She's different enough from The Master to make her distinct, and I'd like to see her show up again (although there seems to be little chance of that every happening).

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The Doctor.;)

8. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

They should bring The Monk back. While I like The Mistress and look forward to her latest appearance, she has SO much confining backstory now. The Monk would provide a more unpredictable foil.

9. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

I'll go with Rani. I'm all about seeing any female Time Lord, good or evil. I could do without the genetic experiments storyline, just give me some Time Ladies.

I'd totally be okay with any of the others regenerating into females like The Master did. #teammissy

10. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Omega because of the fantastic audio adventure with him as the title.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

*Chuckles evilly*

12. Emperor-Tiberius

Always will be. :D

13. Lonemagpie

I wish I could comment more.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Someone is writing a book along these lines, methinks.

15. Emperor-Tiberius

Fair enough.

Just lovely to see him in War Games and then, Terror of the Autons again, regenerated, though. :p

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Not all of them. Drax, Rodan, Andred, Borusa in his first three appearances (seriously, his fourth and final appearance bares no resemblance to his earlier incarnations), K'anpo Rimpoche, Azrael, and those are just off the top off my head.

17. Lonemagpie

You may say that, but I couldn't possibly comment.

18. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm gonna go Valeyard, like Omega a lot too though.

19. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Omega, for the wonderfully theatrical voice of Stephen Thorne. Thorne also played the "true" incarnation of Eldrad in Sarah Janes farewell story, "The Hand of Fear". He also voived Aslan in a made for TV animated adaptation of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe".

Ooh, get Thorne and Brian Blessed on stage together! Their collective, thundering voices would crumble the theater like the walls of Jericho!

Sincerely,

Bill

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Having just seen The War Games I'll go with the War Chief and he really should be the Master :)