Operation – Annihilate: Operation – Stay Awake

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Tan Ru, Feb 25, 2009.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I love Google maps. :D

My father worked for TRW (and the company's previous incarnation, STL) and we went with him to a dog and pony show at Space Park about a year after the episode was filmed. I don't think I could tell you which buildings I was in (looked in the darker corners, just to be sure) but we spent an afternoon walking all over the area seen in the exterior shots.

2. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

I would very much like to know more as I've become STL's unofficial historian. Who was your father and what did he do? When did he work?

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Check your inbox.

4. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love McCoy's reaction when he believes he has blinded Spock. So well done! Then Kirk speaking to him from the bridge..."Bones.."

Powerful stuff.

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I rewatched the episode last night (because of this thread) and was positively surprised how much I liked it. I hadn't remembered it that well. I have to disagree with Shatmandu: Making Kirk's brother and his family the victims of the Flying Vomit made the story much more compelling to me. Yeah, the motivation for him to save those people would have been there anyway, but the fact that it's about his brother makes it personal for him. He's getting emotional and loses his professionalism. It's interesting when McCoy notices that and has to remind him of the people down on the planet.

I also liked the moment right after Kirk finds his dead brother. Shatner is good in portraying how Kirk is overstrained by the situation. Then Spock enters the room and expresses his sympathy without many words. I really liked that.

The end though, I have to agree, is a bit cheap. At least it felt that way to me. I don't know how believable it is for the Vulcans to forget about their inner eyelid. I know I groaned. ;)

But overall a good episode. First and foremost because of scenes like the one mentioned by destro.

6. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. And, I've always found Shatner's acting after his sister-in-law dies particularly moving. At first, he's visibly stunned, and can barely bring himself to ask Bones about his nephew. Then, in the very next scene, when he beams back down to the planet, his body language illustrates a devastated and grieving man who nevertheless has to maintain his role as commander of hundreds of people.

Doug

7. Markas

Markas Captain Captain

It is not one of my favorite episodes and there are a few things that I didn't like that have already been pointed out here (flying pancakes of doom, Spock's spectacular eyelids), but I thought that overall, the story was compelling.

I agree that having Kirk's family involved was a good touch. Losing his brother then his sister-in-law was obviously wrenching yet he didn't have much time to grieve because he had a world to save. Then, a first officer to save.

Overall, not a snoozefest. Immunity Syndrome gets that award.

8. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heinlein's Puppetmasters: I just read it, and the "slugs" bear very strong resemblance to the flying snot pancakes of OpAnnihilate. Anyone else notice that or have thoughts?

9. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not my favorite, but I also don't think it's bad as some say it is. I think a major issue is the pacing.

10. AxelFoley

AxelFoley Commander Red Shirt

I think it's a great episode, if you find this excessively talky & lacking action, good luck watching some TNG episodes.

11. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A mixed bunch of opinions here. I remember disliking it and was not looking forward to the rewatch. Having just rewatched it, I enjoyed it.

The "farting flying omelettes" don't even look that cheesy when you keep in mind it was fimed in 1967. Nice to see a rare non-humanoid life-form in the Trek universe.

The location sets were good and don't look overly dated.

As already mentioned the Vulcan "inner-eyelid" was a bit of a sigh moment. Might have been nice if they carried Spock's blindness over. As this was a season finalé it could have been solved in the premiere of the second season. Oh no, that's just reminded me my next watch is Catspaw. :(

12. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched Operation: Annihilate yesterday and I still enjoy it (except for the final wrap-up, where once again, the bridge crew all get a chuckle).

Wait until October 31 to watch it. There's no doubt this "tongue-in-cheek" episode is Star Trek's Halloween entry (the original airdate was October 27, 1967).

13. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know that, but it would kind of interfere with my rewatching them in order from the beginning to end. :lol:

I'm trying to race through the first couple of seasons because I've seen most of these. Season 3 TOS is the only virgin Trek territory I have left in any series. Will be kind of sad when I've popped that cherry. Something I will never get back :lol:

14. TheKeeper

TheKeeper Commander Red Shirt

Whatever the problems with Operation: Annihilate, I'd rather watch the Perilous Pancakes of Pain again than have to sit through Catspaw.

15. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

There was so much ambient noise during the location shooting that all the actors had to dub their lines back in anyway ("looping"), so if a spectator had sneezed or coughed in the middle of a take, it wouldn't have made any difference.
    A lot of fans thought the location was a college campus. Here's a link to a screencap of a well-composed shot, with the walkway in the foreground blocking out the TRW logo on the tall white building.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewfeinberg/2290231332/

16. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Booger bats! :guffaw:
    That's funny. Someone should compile a list of all the descriptive terms for those airborne giant-neuron parasite critters. "Flying fake vomit" would probably be at the top.

To me, they look like eggs over easy made by a drunken cook.

17. paustin

paustin Commander Red Shirt

can you link the picture of the employees watching the filming. I couldnt find any on their homepage.

18. Stompy

Stompy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

19. A.V.I.A.F.

A.V.I.A.F. Captain

Regarding Immunity Syndrome, I kind of liked the fact that we are kept in the dark for the better part of the episode as to who or what the "bad guy" will be in this episode. Here is a link to a clever play on that episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ir6Orvd1s

20. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    ^^

@ that link:
    :guffaw: