Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"My Luthor" tends to be a heavyset guy with a look of contempt on his face.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Rush Limbaugh?

Could work.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Marlon Brando, in Colonel Kurtz mode natch.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

They can't do something comparable to this movie within a year. If they try it, they'll be making a big mistake.

I don't expect this will happen.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I call BS on that report. No authoritative source...just more of the wishful thinking on a JLA movie that's been constant since 2008 despite no evidence of a plan in place.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Really, I'd say a second superman movie is 2-3 years away and any JL movie is 5 or more years away. If they're going to go the Marvel route they got other characters to give movies to first. (I'd argue Batman doesn't really need one and can just be brought into the JL movie already established with a new actor and some lip service to his (new) past.) And, again, I'd love to see a Wonder Woman and an Aquaman movie at the very least before we get near a JL movie.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

WB can do Man Of Steel II by 2015. It's pretty clearly their intention to approach this in the opposite way from Marvel, doing a JL movie first and using it to launch other single-character movies - and that's perfectly fine as long as it's being managed by people who clearly know what they're about, like Nolan and Goyer. The idea that "the competition did it this way and it's succeeded so we should do the same thing" is nearly a guarantee of always being second best. Green Lantern was much closer in tone and overall approach to one of the Marvel movies than the Dark Knight movies and Man Of Steel are, and it's the one that disappointed.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I'm much more interested in seeing MOS sequels than a Justice League movie. It feels like Superman's story just barely got started here, and there are so many interesting new possibilities with this new storyline.

I'd hate to have another IM2 situation where they're using half the movie to set up the Justice League idea.

11. Trekker4747

They can set-up a JL movie without doing the IM2 thing, for one thing the JL was brought together more by the heroes themselves than any [government] organization. Give the characters their own movie and then do a JL movie and spend the opening 15-20 minutes with bringing them together. It can be done without completely going the Marvel route.

The hitch point is that the events in The Avengers meant something as up to that point the events in the other movies were small and isolated (or buried in a way in the past), other than Thor but that took place in a small town where what happened could easily be contained. But it was a BIG DEAL these aliens were coming to take over Earth in the Avengers and a big deal they all got together to save Earth.

Right now in the DC-CU a major American city has been largely leveled by an alien force. Where to go from here to build things UP?

12. CorporalCaptain

I'd like to see a Justice League movie, while I'm still able to get around without a walker! :techman:

I don't need an Aquaman film and then a Wonder Woman film first. Let's go, already!

13. Trekker4747

I dunno, I think they deserve their own movies. If not for the very least to wash away the stigma they're still carrying from Super Friends and the WW TV series.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

They might establish one or two other characters in solo movies before Justice League, while introducing some characters in Justice League itself. I think they might try out a DC superhero movie at Christmas 2015, the first Christmas after they're done with the Hobbit trilogy.

My guess is that the next time we see Green Lantern on screen will be in Justice League, and I think it'll be John Stewart rather than Hal Jordan.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Goyer has suggested that the events in the MOS movie - specifically including the destruction of a major American city by this Kryptonian invasion and Superman's emergence - may be what motivates a number of other up-until-now anonymous superheroes to reveal their existence publicly.

At this point Nolan, Snyder and Goyer are beholden to nothing in comic book continuity, which is awesome.

16. CorporalCaptain

If the characters track as popular in a JL movie, they can always spin off. If they don't, why jeopardize the bottom line?

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It'll be interesting to see if and how much they use Superman and Batman to juice up the box office of other solo films. For instance, if Cavill was willing, they could have a prominent appearance by Superman in a Wonder Woman film, potentially meeting her prior to the formation of the Justice League.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

I really don't think Warner Bros will be making any business decisions based on whether some cartoon characters "deserve to be redeemed from their association with Superfriends."

They should be kicking themselves now for letting a Whedon-created Wonder Woman movie get away from them.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Robinov mentioned a month or so ago that they were going to reveal their "plans" for their DC Cinematic universe. There have been reports that they would announce something after the opening weekend. So tomorrow could be very interesting, or they will just wait until SDCC.

Yeah they should have gave Joss the time he needed to come back and finish "Wonder Woman". I believe that was a big mistake by Joel Silver.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It looks like the actuals might go up for the weekend box office due to gangbusters business on Father's Day. A theatre source on the BoxOffice.com forum is saying he thinks the Sunday number might be $35.5-37.5 million rather than the estimate of $32.7 million.