Mortal Kombat: Legacy Episode 1 is Online!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Holy crap this series is awesome. From last years short, to the trailer, to this first episode... just... awesome! :cool:

A bit cheesy in places, but that's part of the awesome.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree there were some cheesy elements lol. Kano's taunting of Sonya for example.

3. Holdfast

That was relatively OK; it was the guy playing Stryker that was the biggest ham.

4. Admiral_Young

^ The dude playing Stryker is none other than BSG alumnus Tamoh Plinkett! He seemed hokey on purpose though lol.

5. Holdfast

Oh, it's all definitely within the tone of the show!

6. Admiral_Young

I don't think I've mentioned yet how great the score was! I thought it was really good, but have to be honest was expecting to hear the classic theme song at the end credits.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed this. It was actually my first exposure to the MK mythos, but after this and playing the demo for the new game, I'm thinking I might have to check out some more MK stuff.
    Oh, and for anyone wondering, it looks like they might keep some of the supernatural elements. I watched a trailer earlier today on blastr that references characters coming from different worlds, and a guy with black eyes and tattos wants Scorpion to fight for The Netherrealm. (The trailer pops up as another video option after the episode plays).

8. Admiral_Young

^ Kevin talked about possibly keeping the supernatural elements intact in an interview he did last year online. He's a huge fan of the franchise and this has been a labor for love. Remember, Jeri Ryan basically did the short trailer last year because she was good friends with Kevin. I just can't get over how well Jeri works as Sonya Blade! I would have never in a million years thought of her lol.

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

10. Admiral_Young

Jeri's awesome.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Admiral_Young

Episode one is now the most viewed video on Youtube. Saw an article claiming that earlier today.

13. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Why not just put this out as a direct to DVD movie? I'd buy it

14. Admiral_Young

They want people to actually watch it. I expect it will be released on DVD. Putting it online ensures a lot more people will view it as my post above would attest.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do we know if there's any chance of this becoming a theatrical movie or TV series? I have no problems with this as a web series, I just think it would be cool if it expanded into a bigger medium.

16. Admiral_Young

I believe that the original short film trailer was meant to be a pitch for a movie. Kevin and company settled for a web series. With the new game out I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new film in development. Everyone wants Kevin to direct and write a new film.

17. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I shutter when I think of TNT's short lived, Mortal Kombat: Konquest which focused on Kung Lao. Well in hindsight it wasn't THAT bad, not as bad as MK II Armageddon.

18. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not what I was looking for but will wait for episode II where Sub-Zero fights Scorpion. That'll hopefully be more epic than this.

19. Admiral_Young

^ I'm guessing you are more interested in the action and fighting rather than the story and characters?

20. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Story and characters are fine and so is the action. I was more.. expecting hand-to-hand combat kinda thing rather than gunfights and a very badly aged 7 of 9. :p