Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

I had an only-in-Minecraft moment recently. When I was coming out of my small secondary shelter one morning, I was momentarily startled by a sheep, as it looked like spider for a second on the corner of my screen. :lol:

2. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

So, I was gifted a copy of this yesterday by a friend, but I have no idea what I should be doing, like how to gather materials and craft things.

3. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

anyone got a companion cube skin hack out yet?

4. Guitarded

Guitarded Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I made this in a random free-build room:

[​IMG]

I went into somebody else's room a while later and saw various video game characters and symbols floating around. I asked they if they had an Enterprise. They directed me to this:

[​IMG]

5. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This should help get you started. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Wiki

There are also some good tutorials on Youtube.

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Here's a handy page I made that shows all the current crafting recipes: Link

I don't think anything has been added since I made that, but I'll do what I can to keep it up-to-date.

7. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1) Punch tree
    2) ???
    3) Diamonds!

Because there's no tutorial, you'll have to watch videos to figure it out. There's two bits of advice I'll give you: On the first day, try to mine coal so you can make torches, spending the first night alone in the dark while there's creepy noises outside isn't fun. Secondly, if you see something green and depressed, run as far away as you can.

Does it have an interior yet? It will be really cool to have a 1:1 replica of the E-D to walk around in.

8. Canadave

Fucking creepers. One of them blew up part of the stairway up to my hilltop base recently. :scream:

Owain, there really is no goal for the game, so it's what you want to make of it. Personally, I'm a builder—I like to keep adding to my base, making it more and more elaborate and extensive. Others are miners and spelunkers, who enjoy going deep underground to find rare minerals. And still others just like to explore to see what the procedurally generated worlds come up with (the game can be quite stunning sometimes).

If you like, I can give you a good quick and dirty guide to surviving your first night, and where to progress from there...

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks Dave. I think the link to the Wiki will help me out in starting. It's pretty much getting to know the basics, and I'll probably be swimming along before long.

10. Canadave

Fair enough, just thought I'd offer. :)

It can be a little overwhelming at first, but once you dive into it, it gets incredibly addictive.

11. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hate creepers. I've just started a new world and a "let's play" (in Swedish) on youtube (well, there was so few "let's play Minecraft", so I thought I should help up the statistics a bit.) Awesome place I have. Unfortunately, the hill/mountain that holds my base are Creeperville. So, I'm currently building a cactus-fence to keep the green b*****ds away.

12. Guitarded

I think the interior's still in progress, as are the nacelles. He hasn't done much work on it lately, but I can see how one could get burnt out on that project.

13. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

isn't that the enterprise from the video I linked to in a few places from when he had the superstructure done and was asking for interior helps?

14. Guitarded

I believe so. I just happened across it. Next time I play on that server, I'll ask him if he minds my linking it here.

15. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Hey guys, check this out, I just found this in one of my RSS feeds:

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past in Minecraft.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ2BcvowYl8&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

16. Guitarded

Holy crap, that's insane.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Where do these people find the time?

18. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Pixel art in Minecraft is kind of cool but I admit I prefer projects people did legitimately by mining all the materials themselves.

19. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow! That must have taken a lot of time and dedication to finish.

20. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

PC Gamer UK has named Minecraft the best game of 2010. :techman: But more importantly, Notch declared Ireland to be better than England, so now it's official.