"Polaris"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gina Hernandez as "Valerie Young:"

[​IMG]

The gang, behind the scenes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

I know others have said it before me, but I absolutely love the uniforms.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Admiral Buzzkill

6. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

I like the uniforms, too. Still, they do remind me of the costumes on Star Trek: Enterprise. Am I the only one on that?

7. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

^No, you're not. In fact, when this image started to load, I thought it was a screencap from "In A Mirror Darkly." :lol:

8. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure that this isn't set in stone, and that editing will largely determine this, but what is the approximate running length of the movie? Just curious.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

About an hour.

Enterprise was not one of my conscious jumping-off points for those outfits, but I can see where the resemblance might lay - mainly in that stripe that surrounds the yoke. In fact, in an earlier version the stripe was satin gold and someone felt it looked too much like an Enterprise command uniform. So I changed it to silver. There's also the matter of what the outfit lacks - basically, bright colors other than the stripe and patch - which groups it with Enterprise rather than other Trek shows.

Other than that I emphasized buckles, buttons, pockets and other detail partly because they make sense and partly because shows like Trek don't.

I think the main, non-Trek inspiration for the senior officers' outfits is probaby pretty obvious. I only steal from the most obvious...oh, I'm sorry, it's "homage." It's always homage. :lol:

10. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    To me, the uniforms look more like a cross between those from an old-school scifi movie and what I would expect from naval uniforms. I don't see anything particularly Trek-ish about them.

The images you've been posting in this thread could very nearly pass for stills from a new scifi TV show- well done.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Really, maybe someone will swipe one and start a rumor somewhere... :lol:

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Couple of space marines...

[​IMG]

13. Gepard

I like the little ray gun. Any hints on what it's made from for us prop fanatics?

14. Admiral Buzzkill

[​IMG]

Odds and ends - some fairly common, but parts of it are from a 1962 squirt gun I bought on eBay.

The work to finish these and make them practical was done by Mike Bednar and Dennis Stine.

15. Gepard

16. thesovereignman

thesovereignman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If you guys make a sequel in MD, I want in! As a handyman, I might be of use back stage :)

I like the phaser(?) but I wouldn't have made them so light, myself. I would have made them black or very dark grey, without the strips of stuff. maybe added a couple leds? but cool design, nonetheless :)

17. Gepard

The light-metallic-blue-with-holographic-sides is very WOK phaser. Dennis can probably chime in if that was intentional or not.

[​IMG]

18. Admiral Buzzkill

That Dennis Stines, yeah.

I didn't dictate the finishing or detail of the props. I had a primer-colored prototype which I had assembled, badly, and Mike saw it and was enthusiastic enough to take the project on, refine the design, and get it all done in record time. Everything about the finishing and detailing and electronics are his and Dennis Stine's work, and I'm more than 100% satisfied - I'm thrilled. It's remarkable what talented people do when 1) you don't try to control them and 2) you don't tell them "it has to look exactly like this other thing in this drawing/episode/movie."

Mike also designed and constructed the "inhibitor collar" that Gaitanis wears. We joke that it looks like the Apple iCollar version of that thing the Triskelions used.

There's one working hero gun - not "phaser" - that has internal lighting installed. The others have lenticular decals applied to the sides.

thesovereignman, we're always happy to have more folks participating. We're doing a presentation on the film at Farpoint in Baltimore in about two months - you ever attend those? We do have two more phases of production coming up over the next six to eight months.

After working on this project I'm even more convinced than I was before that people who speak on their own behalf about their "vision" for such are usually gasbags trying take credit for the imagination, inspiration and just plain hard work of other people.

A movie like this is something we do together, and everything we've done belongs to all of us. That said, we need to be quick to credit work and to correct oversights and misimpressions.

I've asked folks to use good judgment about what kind of images and reporting to put online, but ultimately no one has to clear such stuff with me or anyone else.

The photo of the pistols above, BTW, was supplied to me by John Broughton of "Starship Farragut" (he's the marine on the left in the above photo) and originally posted at http://www.mycaptainsblog.com

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  19. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Hey, look! It's my old pencil box!

20. thesovereignman

thesovereignman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've not attended one of those, but my father lives in baltimore, and I used to live there. I was thinking about going to stay with him for a while, and if you need help, I'm happy to help. I **might** be able to arrange storage and transport for your sets as well, if you do decide to preserve them. my father owns a warehouse and a trucking company.