Kirk And The Prime Directive In STID ???

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Nero's Shadow, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Is anyone else thinking that kirk properly fails the prime directive on the plant niruba at the start of the film ??? IMO I think he does make a mess of the mission jeopardising his ship crew and 1st officer aka Spock and damaging or destroying first contact with this native Species of the planet.

We know Spock was and is trying to stop a volcano from blowing up, I think that kirk fails this mission and is told to report to earth for punishment and that's when we see the attack on earth and BC character killing possibly pike ?? Your thoughts people ??

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect the Nibiru people will see the Enterprise fly over the volcano and rescue Spock - but I don't think it's the "big mistake" Kirk makes. Other than better effects it's not much different to the PD-smashing Kirk did in The Original Series without getting in any trouble.

3. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

To true KD I watched Return Of The Archons last night and Spock told kirk several times in that episode about breaking the PD ???? I wonder how many times kirk broke the PD in TOS surly he would have been Reprimanded by starfleet after a couple of times I'm sure kirk had accountabilities for his ship and crews actions during PD situations don't u think ??:vulcan:

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I think the purpose of the scene is to drop us into a "typical" mission to show us that Kirk has had his share of adventures and risk over the last year. And, he's still a little raw around the edges.

The debate over whether or not to save Spock, and what Spock's ultimate reaction to Kirk's "illogical" decision to save him at the risk of the ship and violating the PD could provide a thematic element for the movie, though.

But I can't imagine him being punished for not just "flying by" a planet with intelligent life and not trying to do something to help behind the scenes.

If the Vulcans knew of an asteroid that would hit this planet and destroy mankind, and they could prevent it, would you want them to let it happen anyway just because we're a pre-warp society? ;)

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

According to Star Trek: Voyager, there are forty-seven subsections of the Prime Directive. Likely one of those subsections deals with cultures that may seem primitive on the surface but are being controlled by A.I.'s that have incredible powers at their disposal and can be considered hazards to orbital vehicles. Another likely deals with what happens when you come into a situation where another Federation ship has already interfered.

The Prime Directive was never as cut-and-dry as some like to make it seem.

6. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

could be that the shots we see of the Enterprise falling are after its been hovering over the volcano to rescue Spock. they think they've succeeded but the damage forces the ship to crash land on Niruba and Starfleet are put in a position of sending in a substantial rescue mission for the Enterprise crew...completely screwing the Prime Directive :)