Continuity Nazis: Your own personal canon.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ben Sisko3, Sep 27, 2008.

1. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Franklin and who? Reed and Sue only have one child.

Wolverine's origin remains unknown.

Wally West is and ever shall be Kid Flash. Barry remains the Flash.

Captain Marvel is a black chick.

The Avengers consist of Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Wonder Man, Beast, Vision, Scarlet Witch, occassionally Hercules, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Hank Pym and Janet.

SHIELD stands for Strategic Headquarters International Espionage Law Enforcement Division.

Nick Fury is a white guy who served in WWII with Dum Dum, Gabe, etc.

Reed and Ben served in WWII. Did I mention Sue is NOT a scientist?

2. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Marvel continuity: The MU as a whole ended ~the time of Thunderbolts 75 (?) when the book became "Metahuman Fight Club" This was also about the time Jemas and Quesieda seriously started fucking around with Marvel to make it "edgier" and "more relevant".

The only exception is "Spider-Girl"...who has survived all attempts by Marvel Editorial to assassinate her...

DC Continuity: I tend to favor the "Timm-verse" for my DC...as for the comics, there's been to much BS happening (like what happened to Superboy) for me to give much of a rat's ass these days. I lost my interest in DC when they canned "Young Justice" just so they could steal some of the characters for the latest incarnation of the Titans.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

In comics, I've come to favor history over continuity. I'll enjoy back issues or reprints of whatever comics I like, without regard to what the last umpteen creative teams have wrought, or whether or not they're considered to have happened in whatever passes for the current "continuity".

Not to pick on anyone, because I honestly can't remember who it was, but I remember a poster saying that he wasn't going to see Iron Man because of how Civil War had tarnished the character (pardon the unintended double entendre). That's just madness--the character's been around in the comics for 45 years, and the movie is a fresh new take on the character that takes place in a new continuity. The controversial choices of one group of umpteenth-generation hacks shouldn't affect your enjoyment of everyone else's contributions to the character.

My interest in Marvel drops off substantially about the time of Secret Wars. My interest in DC goes into the mid-to-late-90s. I liked the intention behind the Crisis, but a lack of central editorial control caused post-Crisis DC continuity to become an incomprehensible mess.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  4. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

That does it. I'm adopting you as my legal brother ...

Superman: Single reporter who still fools people with just his glasses and civvies as a disguise

Luthor: Still just an angry scientist who hates Superman because he made him bald

Supergirl: Still Kara from Krypton, and still wearing the blue miniskirt uniform. (Was there never an updraft when she landed feet first?)

Batman and Robin: Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson

Batgirl: Barbara Gordon, fully functional

Flash: Still Barry Allen

LSH: Still in Adventure Comics

--Ted

5. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

my Marvel comics canon is pretty much the mainstream one... but, until I decide otherwise, One More Day/Brand New Day are all taking place within a supercompressed period of time (between their heartbeats or something like that), and the arc will end with Peter, MJ and May all back in that hospital room just as May passes on... and MJ will shortly thereafter become preggers again.

oh, and that Austen arc with Nightcrawler's devil dad? fucking retarded. my canon on that goes like

oh, and Storm and Yukio are totally lovers.

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

What's wrong with Val?
    You object to Sue having an actual purpose on the mission?

At Marvel, I wouldn't have done the M-Day or One More Day stories.

At DC, all of the stuff done with Wonder Woman from around the time Johns got his grubby mitts on her overall editorial direction up until Simone took over would not have happened; no worthless false identity, most of all.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Ah, somebody else who understands the importance of the blue miniskirt uniform! I'm adopting you as my legal brother. :D

8. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Here's one:

Snake Eyes still has a scarred face.

Mindbender is DEAD. Well he's dead again but...

9. A beaker full of death

Never heard of her. Franklin was their only child for decades. For me, everything froze in 1986.

I object to this absurd revisionism. She wasn't a scientist, any more than Lois Lane was. Should Lois Lane suddenly be a nuclear physicist?

10. A beaker full of death

TV reporter. Otherwise, agreed.

What, you don't like hot pants?

[​IMG]

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Although Heroes Reborn was largely crap, I prefer their idea of reinventing Sue as the administrative head of the mission...the CEO who was funding it. That gave her a strong leadership role without stepping on Reed's toes as a scientist. It was silly that Reed was running the business as well as doing the scientific research, while Sue looked on like a good '60s housewife.

12. CaptainCanada

Valeria Richards, their daughter; she has something of a complicated history (as does Franklin), but these days she's just their kid (just revealed in Millar's run to have super-intelligence, but to be hiding it).
    Sue in the main continuity hasn't been retconned; the scientist job is in other continuities and adaptations. And making Lois a nuclear physicist isn't even remotely comparable, since her reporter job makes sense in the mythos, whereas Sue's classic role is as a tagalong bimbo.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Green Lantern: Just skipped the whole Hal Jordan went insane business because it derailed the book for a decade or so and that was stupid.

14. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

Second time today with the Supergirl hotpants!

Edit: ...where're the Vandervoot Photoshop jobs?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  15. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

My canon? Jack Kirby created the Fourth World and I never left it. That is a canon in and of itself and introducing Superman was cool for continuity but breaking Darkseid and tht New Gods into the DC universe and distorting OMAC were just 'not happens' in my book.

I always believed that the modern Marvel is a continuation of the revolution Chris Clairemont produced at the X-Men end of things. I read any and every in that era following the unbelievable Days Of Future Past #141-142. Excalibur, New Mutants(have them all) and just about everything to the Holographic Covers series. After that-realized how much I was spending, quit buying except for rare occaisions and kinda watched. It got stupid for a while. Then it got interesting and I almost started buying but I can't quit out of Clairemont's vision of the mutant purge.

Suggestions for something to track down?

The Dark Knight just gets darker until he is(twenty years ahead), he is actually a criminal. Loved the irony of Batman being a criminal. Frank Miller's future path was cool.

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I tend not to think I know better than the writers. I will say one thing, though.

To me, Xorn was Magneto and Magneto was Xorn. He did send New Yorkers to their deaths in gas chambers. Wolverine killed him and the only reason he was able to return in Excalibur and later in Avengers Disassembled was that his daughter wanted it that way.

There is nothing about Magneto's character that says to me, especially while he was high on Kick, he wouldn't have killed those New Yorkers.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Not the red ones on Supergirl. :D

18. CaptainCanada

The Fourth World was always in the DC Universe.

19. Chris227

Chris227 Lieutenant Commander

Betty was never a scientist either-another product of adaptations/alternate continuties. Peter David did make her a tougher character, though, similar to what Bryne did with Sue.

20. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

What's a "Xorn"? I've searched every X-Men and New Avengers issue I own and can't find any reference to it. :-)