Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

2. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, but Crunchyroll has also been known to get OVAs every once in a while, Time of Eve and Ozma for instance.

Sadly Bandai Entertainment (USA) just officially died a month or two ago and will no longer be licensing anything. I don't know what the future of what their channel will be.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe a streaming service will take up the show once it goes on television. Right now it is being shown in theaters before the BD release, so I doubt Crunchyroll would get a theatrical film release streamed.

4. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They still exist as a sub-licensor, but yeah, their channel might go kaput soon, assuming they don't keep the rights for broadcasts.

5. zakkrusz

So it's going to be another lame duck like Kadokawa and Geneon? We don't really need any more of those. :rolleyes:

6. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Woot! I just received my Yamato 2199 Blu-Ray Disc 3 (with English Subtitles) that I pre-ordered via CD Japan back in September, this afternoon.

Going to watch the next 4 episodes on it after I get off work tonight.:techman:

7. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

So this thing already started? WTH?

Is this under the threat of cancelation.

8. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It started ages ago. It's being made in this strange manner where it is being shown theatrically then released to BD.

I'm still holding out hope that someone here will license it, but I have to imagine that if the BDs come with English subs, there probably won't be much chance of that happening.

Anyway, the Volume 3 episodes were fantastic. Given how far American TV has gone away from the science fiction format of the 70s and 80s, it's nice to just go back to these simple stories that aren't full of silly references to pop culture (sorry Stargate) or are so convoluted that it's clear that the writers have no idea what they are doing (sorry BSG and Lost and every other science fiction show airing at the moment).

9. bullethead

That doesn't mean anything. Shows like Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere were released on BD with English subs and still got licensed. Licensing really depends on how much cash a US company has and if they're willing to put up with some of Japan's bullshit to get the rights to it.

10. firehawk12

Did Horizon have English subs on the BD? Weird. lol

I remember that Haruhi was released on BD in Japan with English subs and a BD release never came here.

Aniplex has just started selling their JP sets here, but for mostly the same price as the Japanese MSRP.

At this point, it's up to Funimation or Sentai and I'm not sure if either is interested at the moment. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

11. bullethead

Judging by Funi taking on the last Yamato anime movie, I think they might be interested, but they probably want to wait for the show to finish before committing to a license so they can avoid a Hellsing Ultimate situation.

12. zakkrusz

Yeah, there's been a lot of English subtitling on Japanese BDs lately, most likely because the US and Japan are the same BD region. You can find out which ones here.

I own a few of them actually such as The Garden of Sinners and the two Fate/Zero boxes from Aniplex as well as a fantastic little sci-fi OVA called Time of Eve and have Library War: Wings of Revolution on pre-order. Importing from Japan will only make you poor though, not really worth it unless it's something you like a whole lot or you know the thing won't ever be picked up and licensed by anyone.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  13. firehawk12

I totally forgot that there was a Library Wars movie. lol

And yeah, I really like Yamato, but not enough to spend over 700 dollars for it.
    I can't believe you bought the two Fate/Zero boxes though... man. lol

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the issue that Disney (or some film company) still owns a North American film option for Yamato (there's been draft scripts floating around for a decade); and that probably is a big 'wrench' as it were to licensing and dubbing Yamato 2199 in this region.

If it weren't for the fact I have a real soft spot for Space Battleship Yamato (it's what got me started in Anime fandom - yes, I seen the 1960ies stuff like Speed Racer, Gigantor, et. al as a very young child in the late 1960ies, but it wasn't until I got into Yamato that they were also originally produced in Japan); AND so far the production team on this version has done (IMO) a GREAT job adapting, modernizing and retelling the original Yamato story - including a very good job with the subtitles (IE the syubtitrle scrip[t seems written by someone who really does understand teh nuances of English); I wouldn't have continued to buy the series past the first disc.

So, while expensive, I do find it worth it (and I make a good enough living to afford it easily); and already ordered Disc 4 and hope they are able to produce and market all 26 episodes.

They've done a good job of intigrating their new characters into the story; and the character motications all make sense. They've even given Dessler more personality then before (he's more psychotic and calculating) - and I really like the way the Yamato has gone from being a "What? Who cares, just blow them up and report back..." to a "Wait? They now have Warp Jump tech and a prototype of a weapon our military scientists have also been developing? Find them and take them out now!" in this version. (IE in the old version, they never really explained WHY the powerful Gamilon Empire was suddenly so interested in the single Yamato.)

I also like what they've done with integrating the 'second class' pink-skinned citizens in this version, showing some do have Command rank, and some even have full first class Gamilon status. In the 10th episode, I enjoyed the fact that the pink skinned Gamilon ship captain just shot (with no fuss or hesitation) the Head of Gamilon Intelligence - whom I thought might be a main/recurring character down the line; once he discovered he had circumvented the Cap[tain's order.) I also like there a characters working towards different ends on BOTH sides as the story moves forward.)

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I was under the impression that Voyager Entertainment retained sole rights to the animated property in the USA and Disney had the rights to the live action film, much in the same way that Glen Larson had the rights to a Battlestar Galactica feature film but Universal retained the rights to a TV series. The two seem to be split, and Voyager does seem to have constant updates on their original site and their new dedicated Y2199 site Cosmo DNA regarding the show, yet no real info on if/when they'll import it. I could be wrong, though, there's a lot of information on those sites and I might have missed it. Either way, VE definitely seems to be a big domestic player in this particular game.

16. firehawk12

Wait, so if someone wanted to license the Japanese live action movie... is that a separate license, or is that tied to whomever owns the American movie rights?

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Not quite sure. We can use the 1+ year old Yamato live action movie from Japan as an example. It's been out for some time under Japanese publication in various formats (with relatively decent subtitles), but it has yet to be brought in under an American license. I'm not quite sure how long such things take with other properties, but lots of people in this thread keep mentioning the Disney license from the failed live-action script from many years ago (Arizona! God it was horrible!) - it is possible that there may be a difference in the way the licenses work (akin to BSG). That, plus the additional complexity of foreign import and copyright laws, likely muddy the issue even further. There was also the weird feud going on between Yoshinobu Nishizaki and Reiji Matsumoto over who owned the rights to Yamato to begin with, leading to some confusion between the canonical place of Nishizaki's "Yamato Resurrection" and Matsumoto's "Great Yamato/Great Galaxy" project in the Yamato universe. Then the Nish died (not long after being released from jail on an odd firearms charge) and I don't think anyone is quite sure who is authorized to sell the rights to an American publishing house. Is it the Nishizaki estate, or is it Matsumoto, or someone else entirely? I honestly don't know the exact details of the whole multi-corporate licensing mechanism, I'm just making a semi-educated guess based on the things I've seen/read/heard so far and my information may be woefully out of date.

Any way you cut it, it's messy...

18. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

^Actually, someone did it, because my library was able to order it for their collection.

19. bullethead

IIRC, Matsumoto lost out on that case (I think I read that on ANN), but I'm not sure if the Nishizaki estate actually has any rights to it or if the rights went wholesale to the Japanese studio.

20. zakkrusz

My bank account said the same thing. What can I say, I'm a huge Type/Moon fan, and also a huge Yuki Kajiura fan so the included OSTs sold me. :rofl: It's a fantastic looking show by itself but it looks even better on BD....:cool:

What I really want own in that vein is Carnival Phantasm though. That show is insanely hilarious and it's a shame nobody's licensed it.

As for the Library Wars film, I'm blind buying it and hoping it's at least as good as the series. I needed to blow a buch of "points" at the site I bought it from anyway, so I paid far less than normal price for it either way.