"Bloom County" to return

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And just in time for the 2016 election season!

I am a long time fan of Berkely Breathed's work and couldn't possibly be more excited.

Here is a link to his Facebook announcement.

And it appears to be a daily, which is awesome. Breathed's last two strips, "Outland" and "Opus' were both Sunday only. And if it's really going to be "Bloom County", I want to see all of the old gang, and not just Opus, Bill and Steve. I want Milo and Binkley and Cutter John and Portnoy and Hodgepodge and all the rest.

When one poster commented on Breathed's Facebook page...

Breathed replied...

:guffaw:

Fans of the strip may recall that Breathed once had Donald Trump's brain transplanted into the body of Bill the Cat.:lol:

And, as weird as it may sound, I wonder how much this is due to Harper Lee. Breathed is one of the few people that Lee still corresponds with and she once asked him if we would ever see Opus again. He replied to her that he would bring back Opus when she brought back Scout. Lee's sequel to "To Kill A Mockingbird" comes out next week.

No word on when "Bloom County" will once again grace our newspapers (or our laptops), but the pic in the announcement clearly says "Bloom County 2015", so sometime in the next few months.

A favorite strip...

[​IMG]

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    This is the best news of the campaign season.

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Heh. I can't wait to see what Berkely Breathed can do with this bumper crop of "candidates."

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I hope he brings a stronger sauce than he did to Opus. That was some pretty dry toast...

5. Turtletrekker

"Opus" and "Outland" were both Sunday only, I believe to their detriment. Bloom County's strength (IMHO) was always in the ongoing daily stories.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Bloom County is now back!

Link to strip

I can't express how happy this makes me feel right now. :cool:

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I actually preferred the early less politically oriented stuff the best. Hopefully this will be a return to that and less Opus centric strips.

8. Turtletrekker

Milo!!:cool:

9. The Nth Doctor

Exactly. :cool:

So many people are happy to have Opus back, and while that's great, he's been around the whole time. We haven't seen Milo since 1989 (aside from his background cameo in Outland)!

10. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had always ranked BLOOM COUNTY the fifth greatest humor comic strip of all time, behind (1) Schulz's PEANUTS, (2) Trudeau's DOONESBURY, (3) Capp's LIL' ABNER and (4) Watterson's CALVIN AND HOBBES. It's return is much welcome, but can it possibly be the same strip after a 25 year hiatus? Never cared much for OUTLAND or OPUS.

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Whoa, what? Bloom County is back? Apocalypse averted!

Also a favorite of mine, and my favorite thread bomb. It's sad to think that things have only gotten exponentially worse over the past 30 years.

I don't mind some political stuff, but Bloom County should not be Doonesbury. I want to see all the old characters and some shenanigans!

I wonder if we'll get to see everybody hired back from the strips where they got jobs after Bloom County closed. :rommie:

13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    AAAACK!!!

This is awesome news! The first new strip in 25 years premiered online yesterday and it was almost as if Breathed had never taken a quarter-century hiatus. Bloom County is just as funny now as it was when I was in high school and loyally reading it almost every single day. :)

14. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. I hope this is a full return And not just a few online only strips about Trump

15. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    If Gary Larson ever revives The Far Side I'll be the happiest I've been about reading comic strips in eons. Both strips being drawn again would be the best gift to the industry in years.

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. If we could have back Bloom County, Far Side, and Calvin and Hobbes, I would be a happy camper.

On TV, we're getting the returns of Twin Peaks, Heroes, and Evil Dead. Real returns-- not remakes, reboots, or re-imaginings. Maybe this will be the start of a real trend. Maybe they'll even bring back Star Trek. :rommie:

On a side note, I looked up Far Side and Gary Larson on Wiki to see if there was any hint that there might be a comeback in the works and it turns out he's 65 years old. That hurt.

17. The Nth Doctor

What also makes happy is reading major news outlets like New York Times and NPR mentioning Bloom County alongside Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side as the three cartoons that revolutionized the newspaper cartoon landscape. :cool:

How strange to be in this position once again. :rommie:

18. Turtletrekker

New strip. (Binkley!)

I wonder if this is going to be internet/FB only?

19. The Nth Doctor

It is.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't wait to hear his explanation for why none of the other characters have aged since Opus has been asleep. ;)