Creed (Rocky 7)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by fonzob1, Apr 18, 2015.

?

What are your thoughts on a 7th Rocky Installment?

1. Looking forward to it

20 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. I'll give it a chance

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  3. Not interested

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say Stallone at least deserves another nomination. Then again, I thought the same thing back when he did Copland, and look how that panned out.

Oh, and the music was great. The newer stuff made me enjoy music that isn't usually my preferred genre, and I had a bit of an eye-stinging moment when 'Alone in the Ring' from the original movie showed up. It was a pretty sad scene already, but then that goddamn piano started plinking away...

2. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw it Wednesday afternoon. Wasn't planning to, but I saw the reviews on rottentomatoes and that was enough to make us give it a chance. Great movie! A worthy addition to the Rocky series (unlike some of them). I'm not quite sure that it'll get any Oscar nominations or anything, but just the fact that people are seriously suggesting the possibility should tell you all you need to know about the return to quality for this franchise.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Full review? I am not really good at writing those.

I truly loved this movie. It works on all levels. Fans of the earlier films are going to pick up tons of references. But I truly feel anyone with little or no knowledge of those will still appreciate it on its own terms. It feels fresh. Great acting, directing.

Confession it struck a personal nerve with me. My Dad died of Cancer only a year ago. He was a big Stallone fan. He would have loved this movie. I just wish real life ended like the movies...

4. NX74205

NX74205 Captain Captain

This movie was good, durn good. It is by far the best Rocky movie made since probably the first one. It hits all the right notes emotionally , which doing a great job or reaching back into the mythos of Rocky but also catapulting the series forward into the future. The fight scenes are great and the score is phenomenal, run don't walk to this movie, as it is by far the best movie I have seen this year.

5. fonzob1

fonzob1 Captain Captain

How do you rank the Rocky movies now?

7. Rocky III
    6. Rocky II
    5. Rocky V
    4. Creed
    3. Rocky Balboa
    2. Rocky
    1. Rocky IV

6. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    CREED is phenomenal! It's easily the best movie I've seen this year. Jordan, Stallone, and Ryan Coogler need to get Oscars for this one! Damn, now THAT'S how you resurrect an old franchise! I can't wait for CREED 2!

7. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I just saw it. I came in with high expectations based on the glowing reviews, and while the film is very good, it didn't meet those expectations. A solid 3 stars out of 4 from me, though.

I liked the stylistic changes that Coogler makes to give this its own identity and move this series squarely into modern times. Much has been made about how Coogler shot the film and justifiably so. It's equal parts slick, personal (as in you're right there with the characters) and grit.

I was surprised by how likeable Donnie is as a character...he comes across as a genuinely nice guy, and you can see how he so easily disarms Rocky and convinces him to become his trainer. Despite his past, he didn't have a chip on his shoulder and he is eager to learn and be around Rocky. Sure he slips up, but you forgive him because it's understandable why he thinks the way he does. And it's easy for you to root for him because you genuinely like him.

I liked that Rocky had a purpose in the story other than simply being the trainer. And while less time is spent on romance here than in the original Rocky, Bianca is also a likeable, realistic character.

But the emotional punch and character journey I was expecting didn't quite materialize. Rocky's ordeal just kind of happens, and while some critics are praising the film's MAIN training montage, it didn't really do much for me because it didn't feel EARNED like in other Rocky films. The setting was unique, sure, but...I expected more punch from it.

And the climactic fight...again, it just kind of happens. There's very little buildup to it and suddenly you're there, with less than 20 minutes of the film to go. But I will say that the final round was awesome. You're genuinely pumped like the rest of the characters. You're with Donnie all the way, and you want him to "go through him! Run over him!" as Mickey would say. It generates more excitement than most of the Rocky sequels, and the composer waits until this very moment to unleash some of the original music. It's perfectly timed and makes you want to shout "Yeah!"

I don't know if it'll get any Oscar WINS, but I can see at least 3 nominations for "Creed." And that in itself is an achievement.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015