So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

TOS #55 Double, Double from Michael Jan Friedman. Not to bad.

2. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Just started re-reading the Errend of Vengeance trilogy by Kevin Ryan, which sees TOS Enterprise thru the eyes of an innocent and naive young Klingon who is undercover as a spy as a redshirt on the Enterprise. A Klingon posing as a Starfleet crew member as the lead is a lot of fun, and getting his take on everything gives great insight to the Klingons of the 23rd century. Will be reading the sequel trilogy Errand of Fury as part of the larger re-read following Errand of Vengeance.
    I read Double, Double decades ago, and remember that I liked it. I still have it and plant to re-read it soon too as part of my massive Trek re-read.

3. Use of Time

^ I am actually doing a complete pocket read as well. I started about a year ago and am moving along pretty quickly. To keep things fresh I usually read a book from each show and repeat the cycle to keep from getting burned out.

4. borgboy

I don't have the complete run by any means. I have everything for the last 10 or 12 years, and lots and lots older than that, but far far from everything. I'm doing a re-read and new read both, as I'm re-reading the books I have and have bought some new books, getting the ones that I've heard good things about and/or that sounded interesting to me, books by authors I've enjoyed other books by.
    I was going to re-read them in chronological order, at least as best as I could figure, but decided to go with publication date from here out. I figured publication date would make it easier to do the crossovers, and also there are some details that I just think will make more sense that way, such as the inter-book continuity.
    But I didn't decide to do that until I already started the Errand books, and since the six books work as a mini series I'm going to read them one after the other.
    I also have a few of the really old books that pre-date the Pocket line too. It is neat to know I'm not the only one out there doing this, even if some of the details of what we have and how we're going about them aren't quite the same.

5. Use of Time

Yeah, I actually started this task by ordering a huge lot of about 150 books off of e-bay. There are obviously gaps but I have been grabbing about 5 at a time every few months from a local used bookstore. I've been reading the Bantam books as well as the TOS and TAS novelizations when I can find them. I'm rapidly approaching the point where I have to order books to fill in the gaps. It's been fun.

6. borgboy

I have considered buying one of those big massive book lots off ebay too to fill in the gaps. It's probably a matter of time before I break down and do it, it's very tempting, you can usually find them at pretty reasonable prices. I have a lot of newer books I haven't read yet though that I'm very excited to read, and the more older books I buy the longer it's going to take me to get to the new books, but I can always go back and get those older books laer.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Read The Stuff of Dreams by our very own James Swallow. Fast paced and entertaining. Started on Rough Beasts of Empire by David R. George III. Also still working on The Abominable by Dan Simmons. It's tedious.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just got the TV tie-in edition of The Witches of East End, although I probably won't be able to start reading it until next month. 'Cause . . . deadlines!

10. Mirmotte

Mirmotte Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm currently re-reading Children of The Storm.Captains O'Donnell and Farkas are simply wonderful.

11. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

"Deep Domain" by Howard Weinstein.

12. Use of Time

Requiem by Michael Jan Friedman and Kevin Ryan.

13. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

The Poisoned Chalice just arrived, and i was forced to put down what i was reading and pick it up immediately. Got it last night and i'm already half way through. Loving it so far :techman:

14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Went through Conan: The Blood-Stained Crown And Other Stories, by Kurt Busiek and various artists, yesterday. It was good fun - the first story in the collection was actually pretty moving, all of them are good, and the art is very nice throughout.

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started reading Honor among thieves by Jeffrey Archer.

16. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of James Swallow's The Fall: The Poisoned Chalice. I thought I had this whole "Best Trek book of 2013" thing figured out. Now, I'm not so sure.

Currently reading Apocalypse for Beginners by Nicolas Dickner and loving it!

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you been watching the show? I have been, and I've been enjoying it so far. It's not the best paranormal show like it on TV, but it's still enjoyable.

As for what I'm reading, I decided to go back the Urban Fantasy anthology, Dark and Stormy Knights after setting it aside a few months ago. That's one of the advantages to anthologies, you can read story or a few here and there without worrying about forgetting what was going on.
    I figured I'd be getting tired of UF by now, but I still can't get enough.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Oh yeah, I'm definitely getting a kick out of the show . . . especially Ingrid and Aunt Wendy. Which is what inspired me to track down a copy of the original novel, which I was unfamiliar with before.

Haven't had a chance to crack it open yet, although I can see the light at the end of my deadlines . . ..

19. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

"The Better Man" by Howard Weinstein.

20. Killie

Killie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just finished reading Star Trek 8 by James Blish which was an interesting collection of Original Series episode adaptations.

Was interesting seeing one of the original books written for Trek.

Anyway if anyone is interested they can read my review here.