Saban re-acquires rights to 'Rangers'

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Samurai8472, May 13, 2010.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118019212.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

For some this article might be a god send. I personally lost interest in 2003 but kept checking in to see how Disney handled the franchise.

Everything from "LASERS!!!" to explosions every two seconds and a poor executive producer left the show a shell of itself.

Since 2004 i've been watching the far superior Japanese versions yearly.

2. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I heard about this on another board. I honestly never thought it would happen.

I've seen everything so far (yes, all 700 episodes!), though I agree it's just not as good as it was when Saban was still in charge. I'm very happy he got it back. :techman:

Well, I think everybody who cares has already chimed in. ;)

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, there's one more fan here. I stopped watching Power Rangers around Zeo, but after a 15 year hiatus I decided to pick it back up again. I'm just about to start the "Green with Evil" five parter. :)

It'll be interesting to see what Saban does with the franchise. Given how much they paid for it I'm hoping for a revival on the level of Doctor Who.

4. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bring back Bulk and Skull.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been wanting a reboot of the original US series for years. I think they could really skew a revival towards a slightly older audience.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I started watching with Operation Overdrive and saw all of Jungle Fury and RPM. I'm happy to hear that we're getting some new stuff. I don't like the rerun approach they're doing now.

7. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

Haven't they already done this, or were at leats planning it? A remastering of the original series with some flashy effects and so on, or were you talking about a bit more than that? Rewrites etc etc

8. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes please.

9. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

That actually sounds really appealing to me.

10. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

More than just one more, apparently. ;)

I don't like it either. I mean, I like seeing the old episodes again, but the crap they add to it is stupid.

He said a reboot, and what's on now is the same show, just with stupid flashy effects added.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was on another message board when this news broke out. I admit that I kind of lost interest halfway through Jungle Fury and really wasn't interested in RPM at all, but then I always did have some Power Ranger shows I liked more than others.

Apparently, Disney started losing interest in Power Rangers when they started going after Marvel (signs were first evident--IMO--when Disney didn't bother to rebroadcast RPM on what is currently Disney XD).

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, RPM was the best Power Rangers season ever. It was smart, dark, funny, richly character-driven, affectionately deconstructionist -- it was practically a Ron Moore BSG-style reinvention of the franchise, but a lot more fun. It'll be a hard act to follow.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would like to see a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers remake with Lord Zedd, Rita Repulsa, and Lord Zedd. Go back to the basics.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Don't forget about the Putties!

15. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a HUGE PR fan, but am, as of right now, in 'wait-and-see-mode' on this. I'm hoping that we get some more information about Saban's plans for the franchise going forward sooner rather than later.

I did want to clear up something about Disney and PR, though; the company never actually cared all that much about the franchise, at least not to the degree that Saban did and, judging by his move to re-acquire the property, obviously still does. To Disney, the franchise was a way to appeal to the young boy demographic and balance out their market appeal.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched Power Rangers when they were first on up to probably the Turbo (Was that after Ninja?) years. I found Kimberly and whoever was the original Yellow Ranger kind of hot. What are they up to now.

Edit:

I was just kinda reading up on what some of the original members are up to now and I didn't know Trang (Trini - Yellow) died near the Bay Area in 2001. That's sad.

17. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

I watched up to about that era too.
    My main hope is that if they do redo the whole thing they can plan departures better and skip over Turbo which was rubbish, well 'cept the theme tune. That's something else, no rap, just cheesy power pop rock stuff please.

18. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Ninja was the third season of MMPR. Then Zeo, and then Turbo.

I watched the first two seasons off and on, mostly because it was so hilariously dumb.

I'll take everyone's word for it that Disney didn't seem to have the same level of care regarding the show that Saban did. I do think Disney's first two seasons — Ninja Storm and Dino Thunder — were a lot of fun, and managed to capture the spirit of the original show, while still being able to wink at those audience members who'd grown up with the original MMPR.

19. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

Hi, I'm going to be the a##hole that comes in here surprised that anyone would talk about this show.
    Unless you're having nostalgia for your youth ( I guess people that watched this at age 7 would be about 23 or 24 now)

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Aha. And now they have Marvel for that, so they don't need the Rangers anymore. Makes sense.