From the Earth to the Moon

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

This was a mini-series that ran on HBO in the late 1990s, it chronicled man's trips to the moon from the beginning of the "space race" through the end of the Apollo program. It was a twelve episode mini-series with each hour-long episode focusing on some particular aspect (or mission) of the program.

The movie was produced by Tom Hanks and Ron Howard shortly after their marvelous work on "Apollo 13", the miniseries also endeavored to not re-produce stuff already in other documentaries or movies (for example, the episode dealing with the crisis on Apollo 13 takes place from the perspective of the media following things with a fictionalized battle between a distinguished and respected Cronkite-ian newsman and a young, hot-shot, journalist prone to more aggressive field journalism.)

Some episodes focus on certain aspects of the missions (one focuses on the experiences the "Apollo Wives" had) and an episode focusing on those working on constructing the LEM.

I say all of this for those who've never seen the series.

I've never seen it and I purchased the DVDs at Vintage Stock a few months ago and just never got around to watching it. I highly enjoyed it. While I wish things had been maybe a bit more dramatic and documentary-like (the first episode dealing with the various test missions leading up to the Apollo program is great) I did like it. Sometimes it was a bit goofy (the "antics" of the Apollo 12 crew was bit much especially with Dave Foley's "awe shucks" naive country boy narration) but overall it's a fantastic series.

It really does make you marvel at the wonders accomplished with man's trips to the moon. It could have focused more on the trials taken to get there, but overall it was a fantastic mini-series.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I totally love this series. It's one of my favorites I've ever seen. I'm glad that others here have seen and enjoyed it. I cannot WAIT for a Blu-Ray release...

Sadly, Lane Smith - who plays the veteran journalist 'Emmett Seaborn' in almost every episode - died of Lou Gehrig's Disease a few years ago. :( He was one of my favorites in this.

As for Apollo 12: from what I hear, that is exactly how the real astronauts acted. I thought Paul McCrane absolutely owned the role of Pete Conrad, BTW. Especially in that bit where Pete is shown struggling with a piece of equipment in a NASA lab and is swearing a blue streak, unaware that there is a tour group watching the whole thing. :lol:

(Side note: The real Pete Conrad died a few years ago when he was riding his motorcycle in the mountains. And you know, I think that's exactly the way he would have wanted to go...)

I think my favorite episode is 'Spider' which is about the lunar module and the men who designed and built it. I never knew it was such a complicated process. And that episode was loaded with Trek veterans, BTW. :)

I also love the music. Especially the opening theme:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhZhzt1rh7o[/yt]

3. Trekker4747

Paul McCrane is a good actor, I just didn't much care for Dave Foley. And, yeah, "Spider" was a great episode.

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Coincidentally, my Dad did get this for Christmas this year. I can't remember it very much, but I'll be looking forward to seeing it again. Anyone interested should check out In the Shadow of the Moon, a really fantastic documentary from the perspective of the astronauts.

5. Alrik

Alrik Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen it since the original airing, but I absolutely loved that series. I grew up with the Apollo missions, so FtEttM was a real treat for me.

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember this series very well, even though I only saw the first half of it. I actually regret not watching the entire thing because it was really well done. Now with HBO bringing out mini-series like The Pacific and Band of Brothers, it's a shame this one feels like it's been forgotten. I know it would never happen, but I wish HBO would air it again sometime.

7. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    The book the series was based on is also very good: A Man on the Moon: The Voyages of the Apollo Astronauts by Andrew Chaikin.

Another interesting series is Moon Machines, a six part documentary that aired on The Science Channel. Each part focused on a particular area such as the Saturn V rocket, the command module, the LEM, the lunar rover, and the space suits.

8. arthur2sheds

arthur2sheds Lieutenant Red Shirt

I really love this mini series and watch it quite regularly. I particularly like the episode about the design and building of LEM (episode 5 i think)
    Also being a Gerry Anderson nut i love that the episode opens with 'I Wish I Was A Spaceman',the theme to Fireball XL5. :bolian:

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fun fact: the finished Lunar Module as seen in this series is a real LEM. It's the one that would have gone into space aboard Apollo 18, had there been such a mission. Also, the little room that the astronauts pass through on their way into the command module (I forget what they call it) is also real.

10. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I have the region 1 DVD version of this series, but I would readily shell out again for a Blu-ray release as I would for In the Shadow of the Moon and The Right Stuff.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The last episode felt a little flat but the overall series was amazing, a real achievement in television. I do love good mini series like this, Band of Brothers, The Pacific etc...

We need more shows like this.

12. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Shadow of the Moon is already available on either region A or B BD ;)

RegionA

RegionB

Bargain at £6.99

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I taped this excellent series off HBO in 1998, and later bought (and still have) the original DVD release. In fact, I just watched it again for the last 12 days of 2011. I agree, it was great. My one disapointment was the soundtrack. Of all the excellent music (such as the opening credits,and the theme when 11 landed), the CD was nothing but a collection of the 1960's pop tunes used in the show. Fine music, don't get me wrong, it's just that, that stuff is available elsewhere. I was hoping the soundtrack would be the orchestral score.

14. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

It's also still available online at Channel 4's 4oD page, for those who can watch it online (and tolerate the few ads):
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/in-the-shadow-of-the-moon/4od

15. Peter Q Taggart

Peter Q Taggart Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I believe it's called the White Room. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_room_(spaceflight)#White_room

After watching the opening credits, I feel the urge to re-watch the show:bolian:

My favorite episodes were "Can We Do This?", "Apollo One" and "Is That All There Is?". I met Alan Bean of Apollo 12 once and asked him about the episode. He said that it was true to life. That's really how it was between the three of them. He said it was the most fun he's ever had.

16. 46379.1

46379.1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

17. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Ace. However, I've ordered it from Play.com for £11.99 as part of the True Inspiration collection, which also includes Touching the Void and The Motorcycle Diaries

18. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Fantastic series-the LEM episode and the Wives episode stand out the most, IMO.

19. Trekker4747

The wives episode was okay. I did really like the Apollo 11 episode and the "framing device" used for it.

It's really amazing when you just get down to it and think about it.. Men on the moon, the chunk of rock mankind has been staring at for centuries and we put people there. What it must have been like to be inside the module for those couple of hours between when it first touched down and when Neil and Buzz finally get to go outside and play. I mean, it must've been simply amazing.

:)

20. Trekker4747

Okay, here's something I never quite could figure out. I watched the FtEttM series and tonight I'm watching "Apollo 13" tonight and here's what I can't figure out and looking at diagrams and such of the Apollo craft doesn't help much.

The top of the Command Module is at the "top" of the conical shaped craft and there appears to be a rather bulky piece of hardware there to facilitate docking.

There's obviously a hatch or something in both craft, but I can't figure out what happens to bulky docking piece when the two craft are connected.