AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So for those of you who have seen it. 3D, yes or no? If the 3D is good I will gladly spend the extra money for it, but if it's not I don't want to waste the money.

2. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

I saw it in 3D, and I don't think it added much.

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Figures. Has a movie not filmed in 3D ever benefited from being in 3D?

4. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, but she misspelled Nick Fury-Nick Frost! And she's female!

Two hideous crimes for some geeks... :rolleyes:

Here is Nicholson's response..

5. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

The Purple Rose of Cairo?

But, seriously: nothing I've yet seen.

6. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Honestly people?! What's the hype.

After your raving reviews I went there yesterday and boy was I disappointed.

The first half of the film is slow, so slow... the dialogues are lame and pathetic. With the exception of Robert Downey Jr., Tom Hiddleston and Mark Rufallo the actors perfrom really statically. Even the usually excelent actress Scarlett Johansson performs underwhelingly. Evans and Hemsworth are not even worth mentioning.
    And then the Technobabble... Ionic compensator here, Flux field modulator there... It was like listening to a random Voyager episode... Someone in the audience said "Boring" and people started to laugh...

The SFX sequences are great, and as soon as the aircraft carrier is attacked the film finally gains speed and action but until then the 70 minutes feel tiresome and boring. Dialogue seems forced and the whole direction like a TV show rather than a big budget blockbuster movie.

I enjoyed the effects (ILM once again), but I did not find the character chemistry so many here talk about. Even worse: Some characters just behave like idiots. When Iron Man fights Thor, Loki is waiting... for what? I mean he could get away within those 10 minutes of fight (which feel like an hour or so)...

The score is lame and exchangable.

For me it was a huge letdown. Actually I went in there to just enjoy the visuals (especially after the mediocre movies THOR and CA), but I had to fight through the first hour to get what I wanted...

What a disappointment.

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was some of the most fun I've had in cinema's in a while!!
    The jokes were spot on, the Hulk was amazing, the SFX perfect. Ok, the 3D sucked sometimes, but I hate 3D anyway. But I couldn't find a theater nearby that had a normal version.

But to people like Xavier Storma; don't take a movie like this to serieus. Sure, it took a while to get things into motion. Sure, the dialogue won't win any Oscars (but Oscars mean shit-all these days anyway), sure there hardly was any characterdevelopment. But that's NOT what a movie like this is about. It's about fun. People seem to forget that movies are made for fun. Enjoymant. So judging a movie like this (which really is nothing more then a popcorn-flick) on things like pacing and dialogue is cool if you want to, but you're watching the movie with the wrong attitude IMO.

Anyway, it was fun as hell. Can't wait for the dvd!!

8. Xavier_Storma

I honestly agree. I should be about fun. But you have to endure boring 70 minutes of tiresome not even funny scenes to get to the fun.

It is far too long. 90 minutes or so (cut the whole not necessary dialogue and pseudo-character moments) and we could have had a huge SFX movie.

The problem is... IMHO that it takes far too long before it starts to make fun. After the superb reviews I expected a light hearted film which would take you along from minute one, not from minute 71.

The SFX are great (although the finale looks like a copy and past from TRANSFORMERS), and some scenes are really funny (Hulk and Thor in the Stark tower :guffaw:). But it is nowhere even close to IRON MAN, THE DARK KNIGHT or X-MEN FIRST CLASS.

9. Mage

I see what you mean. Personally, it didn't bother me that much. But I do understand where you are coming from.

10. Xavier_Storma

Glad we agree to disagree... :)

11. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry. Can't take you seriously anymore.
    She has, like, one facial expression. Always! How can she be excellent?
    I mean, if you take away her beauty, what's left?
    Why do you think they didn't show her "cry" in her scene with Loki? Because, most likely, she can't do it convincingly.

Exactly. The movie was making fun of it, in case you hadn't noticed.

They made it abundantly clear (about 10 times or so) that Loki wanted to be caught and brought to the helicarrier.
    So why would he run away? He was exactly where he wanted to be.
    Seems to me you didn't pay all that much attention to the movie.

So eventually, you did get what you wanted? Why the F grade then?

12. Xavier_Storma

Browser did not work properly. I would give it a C+. ;)

13. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fair enough

14. Mage

Have you seen Lost In Translation by any change? You say that she most likely can't do it convincingly. I'd strongly suggest you watch Lost In Translation.

And beyond that, she has done other films in which she has proven herself a good actress.

Take for instance Natalie Portman, who was great in Black Swan and has done numerous films that establish her as a character actress. However, she was horrible in the Star Wars prequel. I don't think it's fair to judge an actor or actress bad because of one film. Most of the actors/actresses we idolize will have atleast one of two films in there repetoire in which they kinda stunk. Why? Who knows. Bad directing, they couldn't identify with the character... so many reasons.
    And I know a lot of people would say that said actor/actresse should just leave the film then. Not so easy I'm afraid. They signed contracts, and it would cost them dearly to just up and leave. And in the end of the day, acting is just a job and you need to get paid. So you don't just leave a paying job.

15. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Well you know, if you are going to write a review of the Avengers at least take a moment to make sure you get the names right in your review. It's not hard is it?

16. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Nick Frost was cool, I liked how his name linked with Thaw. Captain USA was my favourite but the Bulk really stole the show.

17. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The M*A*S*H crossover with Hawkeye was a bit weird though

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

So the first full weekend on the international front now has some estimates. Even though it's still early afternoon/evening in those territories. The numbers are impressive.

I had thought it was open in 41 territories, maybe two of them haven't reported in estimates. At any rate the film is going to clear $200m in gross before it ever opens in North America not to mention Japan and China!!

Could this do a Billion worldwide??!!

19. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But she liked Green Lantern. And Green Hornet.

And disliked The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2...

I see a pattern here....

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

But the Hulk IS green, so if the Avengers were based in Ireland then....she'd have liked it? ;)