TNG re-released on DVD

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by heavy lids, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Paramount doesn't make any money off those. Releasing those DVDs now will make money from people who don't have Blu-Ray players and are interested in TNG based on the Blu-Ray releases and the new movie. It's the same reason Disney will release new editions of old films around the time sequels are released.

2. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It doesnt make sense, since you can buy the complete series for 99 EUR here in Germany on Amazon. For 300 EUR you get all episodes of TNG, VOY and DS9 combined:

[​IMG]

3. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That doesn't really make sense. For one, if I need a new prescription of eye glasses, that's a need and not a want. And if I don't get my new prescription that could have serious consequences. Two, watching remastered TOS or TNG doesn't in any way enchance my experience. I've been watching Trek all these years without HD or blu-ray and I've managed just fine. It's cool watching them and noticing the differences, but I could care less. LIKE I SAID, if I had the money I would buy blu-ray, but I'm a poor culinary student. If I deserve electrocution because I'm happy watching Trek on VHS, so be it.

4. DJ Mike

DJ Mike Ensign Red Shirt

It seems all the stranger to simply repackage the existing DVDs when you consider that CBS wants to recoup the money they've spent on these remasters. They could have put out the remastered versions and labelled them as such - even on DVD, "Newly remastered" would still be a unique selling point. That would undoubtedly have driven some extra sales in compared to simply re-releasing it. Or maybe they're banking on people thinking the DVDs are the remastered versions and buying them as such. Which would be rather deceptive.

5. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can agree with that. It does seem odd that this will be the 3rd release of TNG on dvd. I probably won't even end up buying TNG until after it's taken off Netflix to watch instantly. And hopefully by then I can afford blu-ray so I won't get threatened with execution by fellow Trek fans.

I've just never been one those people that always has the latest technology or entertainment. I got an XBOX 360 for the first time a year ago, I don't have a smart phone or a phone that does anything more than call or text, and a majority of my movies are VHS. However, I do have a decent 32" HD TV. I only have that because it was free.

6. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've been the same resistant until about a year ago.
    Then a Sony BD-Player crossed my way at one electronic market around the same price than a DVD player and I gave it a try and bought 3 BDs along with it. As it could play DVDs as well (as ALL BD players do!) - what could I loose?

Watching these Blu-rays and now STNG on BD for the first time i felt like being a person with about 7 or 8 diopters and never put on the fitting glasses before, telling to himself "well, the world looks quite alright like that, what do i need details for.." How silly. :lol:

I could still kick myself about how PLAIN STUPID I've been not to use BDs all that time before.. :bolian:

How someone can even think about buying TNG on DVD NOW, at almost the same price than it's beeing released now on BD as well, is sooo beyond me.
    It's like spending money for used toilet paper, justifying that with "it's still usable somehow"..:rofl:

7. DJ Mike

DJ Mike Ensign Red Shirt

And you're not alone in that - there are a lot of people who, for whatever reason, simply won't upgrade to Blu-ray right now, but might still be interested in remastered TNG. Now would seem to be the best possible time to release it. I guess authoring new discs would still be a not-insignificant investment though, so maybe CBS don't think the numbers add up.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  8. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

I'm kind of in line with Heavy Lids here. Although I do have the gear - 60" HDTV and BluRay player, I'm much more interested in the story and the performances than the relative perfection of the picture. I AM buying the TNG BluRay sets, primarily because I only have season 5 on DVD. Interestingly enough, our watching Season 1 has been interrupted by the arrival of The West Wing on streaming Netflix. It is a show I have wanted to get into since it first aired and now we have the chance. TNG will wait.

9. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

TNG on DVD at this point needs to be the remastered version. Film quality on DVD versus NTSC video quality on DVD...

Oh. I get it. Paramount need to remind people how shit the DVDs are so that they'll buy Blu-ray. Decent quality image on DVD will just delay that...

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek last night obviously, but still...it's not a question of "need" but if you are a ST fan, and there is is an inferior product they you are likely to be desirous of anyway, why not go for the multi-million dollar restoration?? There's a reason they are going back and re-compositing FX at great effort, this is no miminal afterthought, this is a huge undertaking. For another $20-30 you can get the episodes as they were meant to be seen, from the original film with double the resolution of DVD.

Now if you even mention watching them on VHS...even electrocution isn't enough, we'd have to tie you down and make you watch Voyager's Threshold or STV over and over again.

Well at least the covers are cool.

[​IMG]

RAMA

11. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

But, but... I love STV... and it looks pretty good on BD.

12. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Wish there was more color variation. Maybe give Data a green color and Troi a blue color.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Then all hope is lost.:vulcan:

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish I still had my TWOK VHS tape, but that died a long time ago from being played too much. I like the takes that they used on the VHS (the original theatrical edition takes) better than the ones selected for the DVD. I'll never get rid of my TOS DVD's nor my Star Wars OT original theatrical edition DVD's.

15. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

To my knowledge, the only release in which some of the theatrical takes have been changed is on the 2 disc Director's Cut DVD. All other home video versions contain the original theatrical cut - including the Blu-ray. I'm with you, I MUCH prefer the theatrical version of TWOK and was gratified it was used for the BD.

16. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think this is the thing that surprises me. I'm not snobbish about how other fans want to enjoy their Trek. But it just makes no sense to me that they'd re-release these, for the third time on DVD, at this price point. I'd understand if these were budget releases, but they just seem to be the same thing in different packaging (including price). Just a really odd time to re-release them... :confused:

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I understand this, but I would think when you know it was presented in a format that was expedient instead of optimal and it had the capacity originally to be seen better than that, you'd want to see the superior version.

RAMA

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, thanks for the clarification! I do have the director's cut DVD. I just really hate to lose copies of versions that I like. That's not enough motivation for me personally to buy these TNG DVD's, but I can certainly appreciate that some people might not want to throw away DVD's they already have just because Blu-rays come out.

19. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

There just really isn't any justification to buy these. The Remastered sets' prices are in the same ballpark give or take 25 bucks (the extras alone are 10x better than the DVD extras), Blu-Ray players are as cheap as 30 bucks (just google it), and the quality is night and day.

If you're a Trek fan, you owe it to yourself to take the (cheap) plunge for the major upgrade in quality if you haven't already done so.

20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I want my pain! I...need my...pain!