X-Files Bombs

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by mswood, Jul 26, 2008.

1. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Any movie released the week after The Dark Knight was going to suffer. Sorry, X-Files fans.

3. mswood

No question that the Dark Knight is taking a huge number of viewers.

What is shocking is that X-Files will be fourth for the week. That another opener will still manage an opening very close to what Fight the Future managed. That another film on its 25th day in release will beat it. Thats shocking.

Its not chocking that Mamma Mia will beat it since that film is targeting a separate gender and age group.

But that Hancock after nearly a month playing will beat it, WOW.

4. mswood

Oh, and these are preliminary estimates based on most of the day (but not all) and can be off. So the number might go up or down for Friday. And of course tomorrow will give a much more solid look at where the final weekend number will be. But at this stage I think an absolutely best would be 15 million and a low of 10 to 11 is also possible.

Nikki sources show a 4 million Friday and an estimate of 11 million for the weekend. Just yikes, really wanted it to do better. I mean I never expected a strong performance. But I was hoping for a US domestic total of 60 million.

But in comparison this isn't a Bomb on the scale of Meet Dave or Speed Racer both of which were huge financial investments.

But it really does signal that (at least in the US) there is no longer a viable market for a franchise of X-Files films.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  5. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

It's not surprising considering the poor reviews it received. The X-Files was great as a television series, but sometimes series don't transfer well to the big screen. Plus, lousy timing with it being released a week after TDK. It's just been too long.

In other related news, mswood, Skinner will be playing Mary's father on Supernatural in the flashback episode. Thumbs up from me. Kim Manners being one of our directors really pays off with his connections. :bolian:

6. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not surprised either. I watched all seasons of the X-Files, Lone Gunmen, and saw the original film. I'm exactly the target audience they ought to have been trying to reach. And when I saw the trailer, my reaction was (after the initial surprise at Carter's franchise necromancy): "Damn, this looks boring." If you're going to have an X-Files feature film, make it about something big. Doesn't have to be conspiracy-related, but it needs to feel like an event, and not just an average episode filmed using a wider lens. If they couldn't get my butt to the theaters, who were they hoping to get?

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

7. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

if this is the last we see of Mulder and Scully, then I'm fine with it. it was a nice send off, much better than what the series finale gave us.

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Seeing as how low budget the movie is I don't think it'll bomb as badly as people thinks it will.

9. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Bingo.

I'd been hoping there would be more to the film than what the ads were letting on, but from the summaries provided in the reviews, it doesn't sound like it. :(

10. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

The budget on it is what 30 or 35 million? It's somewhere in the low 30's IIRC.

11. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On a purely empathic note, this is very sad. I know everyone involved with the film cared about their work and to have this tank probably makes them feel like they aren't appreciated anymore.

On a more forward looking note, this is also very sad. I was really hoping we'd get a third film that could finally bring resolution to the 2012 arc. Unfortunately, if the returns shape up the way people are predicting, that may never happen.

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn. Just damn. I had hoped it would get at least $20 million for the weekend. Hopefully the estimate is off a bit. I, too, had hoped that this movie would be successful enough to get the invasion movie by 2012 as Carter has said he would do if this one was successful enough.

The budget was $30 million.

13. boushh

boushh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah well... It isn't surprising when the reviews are really crappy, I suppose. They'd be discouraging to the casual fans and non-fans. I hope the estimate is off...

14. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

i wonder how much that line in the ad were sculley says that she and mulder dont work together any more hurt it.
    to some people the pay off for the last two seasons is you saw them leave together./
    a lot more people are going to be exposed to that ad/trailer then they will be the net were more is suspected about their relationship.

to me the last two years of x files just turned off a lot of the fans.
    most of my friends had stopped watching it by then.

and then add on bad reviews.

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

How terribly disappointing.

My wife and I have been X-Philes for a long time, and we were really looking forward to this film.

We'll still go see it, but the reviews have been awful and the box office gross seems to confirm it.

Damn!

:scream:

16. boushh

boushh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Well one of the Variety reviewers gave it 3 out 5. And Ebert really liked it.

The XF board that I go to has given it As and Bs, so mostly positive on that end... of course it's a shipper board so that could be skewing things a bit. However, I'd also think they'd be fairly critical and there are still a lot of positive reviews there so far.

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry to say that I'm not surprised. I wonder how long it'll be until it's remade? Star Trek has seven years between their box office failure and remake...

18. Garrovick

Garrovick Guest

Not surprising...

I figure any X Files movie would be a "cult" type film, with limited interest.

Why Stargate went directly to DVD release.

Why any new Trek film will never again be a "block buster"

All three are examples of DVDs providing the real profit over several years.

19. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given the lack of a "wow factor" in the trailer, and the not-so-kind reviews, I guess it isn't a surprise. Even I am a little bummed about this movie, and I haven't even seen it yet.

20. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So this is what Serenity's failure felt like to fans! Let's pull out the responses they used! ;)

If it sells enough DVDs maybe we'll get another film.
    It wasn't promoted properly.
    It's too smart for the unwashed masses out there.

Do any of these work anymore?