Special Episode of Hawaii 5-0 on tonight! (Sunday)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Top41, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Thought I'd start a thread so no one misses it... the ep is coming on right after the football game on CBS (so 8:30ish central/9:30ish EST, 6:30ish PST).

Is anyone else hooked on this show? I caught up on it on TiVO at the beginning of the year, and wow, I love it! Especially the oh-so-sizzling chemistry between Steve and Danny. The outrageous flirting between the two is just... yummy. :devil:

I guess the episodes have decent plots, too. ;)

I hope the episode tonight is good... tsunami!! Which probably means hot, wet shirtless guys. Love. :D

2. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I've really been enjoying the show. It reminds me a lot of the cop and action shows I enjoyed in the 80's (and some from before that). I'm also really impressed by the way they're using Hawaii as a backdrop, gorgeous shots in every episode. I also have to give high kudos to the action. It's very well choreographed and at times is movie quality in execution. I'm definitely a fan.

3. Top41

The show really does have a retro feel about it. Did anyone else watch tonight? It came on at like 7:10 here. I thought the ep was pretty good, if fairly implausible. That only one guy on the island would be able to correctly predict a tsunami was a bit of a stretch, but hey, I'm always entertained.

Steve and Danno seemed a little bitchier with each other than usual though. :lol:

4. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

It's the first time I've seen it since the premiere. I usually am stuck at work on Monday nights. It's not bad. McGarrett and Danno are kind of cute. I take it the money not being missing is going to be an ongoing mystery.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would have watched, but I'm about four episodes behind. I really like the Danno/McGarrett relationship, but I think the plots are weak.

6. Top41

They're even cuter in some of the other episodes. They kind of snark at each other... well, Steve usually does something out of line and Danno gets upset about it and bitches him out. And then Steve just turns around and does something worse. :lol: It's funny.

Yeah, they definitely can be. There's a lot of implausibility in this show... not sure if it's worse than other CBS procedurals, but it can get pretty outlandish. I think tonight's episode took it further than most do. But it's fun; I'd definitely categorize it as a guilty pleasure.

7. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

The plots certainly aren't any less implausible compared to most other procedurals, or compared to the original Five-O, for that matter. The McGarrett/Danno banter is the best thing about this series, although the episodes have gotten better. I'd say starting with the one back in November where Danno's former partner on the HPD, that was the turning point.

Of course, it also helps that I've been watching the original series on DVD at the same time (currently on Season 6). It's nice to see how many nods to the original series they've managed to work in so far while still letting it be its own thing; the original Five-O was a product of its place and time, and the new Five-0 is as well.

edit: I haven't seen tonight's episode yet (didn't know it was on tonight instead of Monday), so I'll have to wait for it to show up OnDemand. I did read the episode description, and the fake tsunami warning was an episode back in Season 2; that time, the warning was a cover so Wo Fat could try and sneak out of the islands with a brilliant geneticist (played by Will Geer, a.k.a. Grandpa Walton).

8. Starbreaker

I don't think it's that they're implausible... they're just not as good as CSI, Criminal Minds, NCIS, etc. They've really focused a lot on the two main characters, pushed Grace Park aside, and pushed Daniel Dae Kim WAY in the background (not that he cares, he gets to stay in Hawaii another year to work. :lol:).

I think if they put as much effort into the cases as they did the McGarrett/Danno interaction, this would be a great show. There's only been one episode that I thought was truly great, but it's a very watchable show though. It probably will play better on DVD.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I was happy to just see people reload guns in the middle of combat during the premiere episode.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If anyone cares, Larisa Oleynik (anyone remember "The Secret World of Alex Mack"?) is going to be a recurring character later on this season with an option to become a regular next season.

11. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Oh, cool, I was wondering what she'd been up to. I don't remember seeing her in anything since 10 Things I Hate About You (but I wasn't looking very hard, either).

12. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

It's pretty light fluff, but I'll watch anything that shows that much of Hawaii on a regular basis.

Though I'd enjoy it more if Danno were the main character and McGarrett were pushed further in the background.

13. Starbreaker

TV Tango

14. Top41

^Nice! I'm glad it did vvell. (dying keyboard :mad:)

I love Danno. :D I like McGarrett, too, but Danno is my favorite.

15. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love it if Kono taught me how to surf. :D

Can't wait to find out how that money got put back there...