Project: Potemkin, a Star Trek Fan Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Potemkin_Prod, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

cool. the darker, shadowy one is how i always thought ships should look.

3. Potemkin_Prod

Glad you liked them. Unfortunately, they're darker than intended. When YouTube gets the videos, they always come out darker than intended. We're going to look at how the ILM-style effect shot works, too.

Jon Carling has a beautiful shot for the episode "The Void" that's set closer to the nebula. I'll give posting that one a try this evening. Because it's closer to the nebula, the ship's more illuminated.

4. Aahz

Aahz Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's too bad YouTube messes up the brightness/contrast so much. These shots look MUCH better in their original form.

I agree, junxon -- out in deep space, ships would be dark unless relatively close to a star, in which case they would be lit from only one direction with very stark shadows. That was what I was going for in the first version. Plus, since the Potemkin is near Rigel (which is 85,000 times brighter than our sun), that effect plus the bright reflections off the hull would be more dramatic.

The ILM version will still have the light from Rigel, but will have white or off-white diffuse light all around the ship. Not my favorite, but one of the driving factors is the image degradation of YouTube. We still wanna see the ship, don'cha know...

5. Potemkin_Prod

Here's Jon Carling's take on a similar scene near the end of "The Void." The Potemkin is much closer to the Witchhead Nebula in this shot, and is partially illuminated by it. Bill Walker's shot is from later in the day, further from the nebula, and therefore there's not as much lighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SSHzBTdnvo

6. Potemkin_Prod

On February 12th, 2011, filming will begin on the vignette, "Miscommunication," starring Stephanie Burke. This is an exciting short film as a landing party comes under attack! This vignette will also introduce a few new characters. Filming will take place at a wooded area on private property in Leesburg, Georgia. This episode will be filmed, directed and produced by William Walker, and was written by David Eversole. Filming is expected to be completed in one afternoon.

We are looking for three guest stars for this episode. If you're interested, please contact us immediately. Thanks!

7. Potemkin_Prod

This just in:

On February 5th, 2011, filming will commence on the vignette, "The Engineer's New Clothes," starring Mario Pagan. This is a funny little vignette which explains the upcoming change in uniforms. The vignette will also star William Walker as Chief Engineer Barton. Filming will take place at our bridge set and shower set in Albany, Georgia. The rest of the episode will be shot at a green screen facility in Atlanta. The Albany sequences will be directed by Randall Landers; the Atlanta sequences will be directed by William Walker. This episode will be produced and edited by William Walker.

8. Potemkin_Prod

9. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Cool!

10. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

Looks good to me. Can't wait to see "The Void" and "Doctor's orders" in final form.

Doug

11. Potemkin_Prod

Me too! LOL Especially since we're shooting the next two vignettes the next two Saturdays. I feel like we're overloading Bill Walker with work! He's looking for volunteers to help with the VFX work right now.

Tonight, I'll be working on the sonic shower control panel for a vignette, dressing a set for shooting a crewman's scene Saturday afternoon. I ordered the chicken wings for this Saturday and next. We're looking at seeing if we can replicate the really nice pins we want for the new uniforms in pewter and painting them gold and silver (anyone have any experience in that?) rather than paying $35 each for them (more than the cost of the new uniform tunics which were literally almost donated to us). Tomorrow, I've got to go rent a special costume, and check in with some folks who I'm trying to borrow a microphone from.

We've got all the new uniforms in place for our next episodes; we're still needing some donations to pay for them.

Other than that -- just your typical hectic production pace.

Be ready to shoot "Assigned Duties" and start on the full length "The Night the Stars Fell from the Sky" in April!

12. Potemkin_Prod

Here's a few shots from our recent work:

Eric Moore as Lt. Cmdr. Polim n'Ahman, a Rinorian
    [​IMG]

Our Crew Will Indeed Feature Alien Cast Members
    [​IMG]

Props for our forthcoming vignette, "Miscommunication"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Captain's Memento Etagerie
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow we're shooting "The Engineer's New Clothes" and next Saturday we're shooting "Miscommunication."

Still needing cast members for "Miscommunication" -- contact us ASAP if interested!

13. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

Interesting... I had always assumed you would do the pyramids as CGI. But no complaints from me -- I'm old school. I love actual models.

Sir Rhosis

14. Potemkin_Prod

Some will be CGI. Some will be models. :) Bill and I have been working on this set up for a week. He's coming down to direct and shoot next weekend. I'm amused at the reaction of the customers who see these things around the store. And that's all we should say until we release the episode. :D

15. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

HA! A Rinorian?

I love that!

16. Potemkin_Prod

I did, too. George Kayaian came up with the species for his fan film series, The Multiverse Crisis. I saw the commander of a tug with the same get-up and decided that was a unique look, and asked him if I could use the species before we went with it. While George's series gets little notice here, it's really quite an interesting storyline. More info here including links to various episodes: http://www.fastcopyinc.com/orionpress/fanfilms/the_multiverse_crisis.htm

17. Potemkin_Prod

On February 5th 2011, filming was completed at the Albany bridge set for "The Engineer's New Clothes," starring Mario Pagan. Using the Panasonic DV900, filming of the two and a quarter page vignette took two hours under Randy Landers' direction, and it was a good experience. We used a different tripod (Mario had one) and the Panasonic in HQ mode. We also used a different lighting system, a 500W unit which is less light than we normally use, but I think it worked well. We also get our first look at a crewmember's quarters and even a sonic shower! The remaining scenes for the vignette will star William Walker as Chief Engineer Barton and will be shot at a green screen facility in Atlanta. This episode will be produced and edited by William Walker and is expected to be released after "Miscommunication."

Next weekend, on February 12th, 2011, filming will begin on the vignette, "Miscommunication," starring Stephanie Burke. This is an exciting short film as a landing party comes under attack! This vignette will also introduce a few new characters and cast members. Filming will take place at a wooded area on private property in Leesburg, Georgia. This episode will be filmed, directed and produced by William Walker, and was written by David Eversole. Filming is expected to be complete in one afternoon.

18. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Your idea of experimenting with different equipment by making vignettes is a good one. Love it.

19. Potemkin_Prod

Thanks, but I worry that by the time we get it all figured out, no one will be watching fan films anyway...

20. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? There will always be a "market" for fan films.