Could YOU handle acting in heavy alien prosthetics?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by t_smitts, Dec 18, 2013.

1. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Irrationally phobic, or reasonably concerned about something you haven't experienced? In other words, could you get used to it if you started doing it?

Personally, I wear glasses and HATE the idea of sticking something in my eye like that, but given that I know so many other people who do it, I think I could get used to it if I had to.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Irrationally phobic. I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about putting something in my eyes . . . even though I realize billions of people do it every day.

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. You run the risk of putting your eye out with those things, rendering them ironic.

As for the Star Trek make-up, good God no. But then, I hate using "normal" grooming products of any kind on my body. For some reason, they make me itch. About the best I can do is toothpaste, soap, and shampoo. All of which I would give up if they weren't "neccesities".

What can I say? Sensitive skin, and all that.......

4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I can't even handle acting, which is why, in my theatre days, I only appeared in front of an audience twice. Give me backstage work every time.

Mind you, I don't even do normal makeup, although I don't mind wearing costumes. That's something you get used to in the SCA.

5. alpha_leonis

alpha_leonis Captain Captain

I've heard it's not even the latex pieces that can cause problems. I've heard cases on other Sci-Fi shows where even the colored skin makeup caused medical issues (Virginia Hey on "Farscape" developed kidney problems from the blue face paint she used for her character.)

LeVar Burton has complained that wearing the Visor prop caused him vision issues.

6. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh hell yes. One of my friends used to tease me when she put her contact lenses in because even noticing her do that was enough to squick me out.

Barring contacts, I could probably handle the prosthetics but just wouldn't want to be on that side of the camera.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

One of the actors on ANDROMEDA had to quit the show because the heavy alien makeup was causing health issues. And I believe that Roddy McDowall had skin issues from doing so many PLANET OF THE APES movies and TV episodes . . . .

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

The 'acting romantic' in me says it wouldn't be any problem at all when the reality is that I would probably walk off the set. I've always hated having to wear cam paint day in and day out - I can only imagine how actors makeup and prosthetics would be. And I fully agree on the contacts 'thing'. I've worn glasses for years and can't imagine putting lenses directly on my eyes.

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I absolutely CAN and COULD handle acting in heavy prothetics and make-up. Hollywood loves making this big deal about how hard it is to act this way, when, in fact ... it isn't. It just isn't. Darth Vader comes off as charasmatic and sometimes even dangerous - all under a solid, plastic helmet. It's nothing but a thing ...

10. alpha_leonis

alpha_leonis Captain Captain

IIRC Rene Auberjonois teaches/has taught an acting class at Julliard called "Mask" -- my understanding is that it's a class that focuses on acting with your entire body in-character, without relying on facial expression as your primary method of characterization.

Served him well, he said, acting in DS9 under the Odo mask.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I've the full Narn makeup and the full Cyberman gear a couple of times, and that was in Britain in winter and was stewing... I have to give full props to those who do it under studio lights in SoCal!

In fact I got the chance to tell Andreas Katsulas that while G'Kar had always been my favourite character in B5, my respect for him had multiplied tenfold when I wore the full kit for a weekend or two for a fanvid and found out what it was really like...

12. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I'm not surprised. They should have had his character go through some kind of medical procedure early in the series so the actor wouldn't have to suffer through that.

13. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

True, Steve Austin had a bionic eye made with 1972 technology, so you would think that by the 24th century...well, Geordi did finally get to trade in his visor for artificial eyes by First Contact.

14. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or it could help you get over your performance anxiety. I know the best thing I ever did in high school was taking drama as an extracurricular activity. Sure, it can make you nervous if you're afraid of messing up your lines, but you're playing a part, and people are judging you based on how well you play it, not who you are.

Live action movies and tv are a different beast altogether, because you can spend all day shooting just one scene, in front of a few dozen people at most.

Back on topic, I have very sensitive skin, to the point that I normally don't wear any makeup at all, so I doubt I could wear prosthetics for long either. I also have this phobia about getting things in my eyes, so I'm certain I couldn't wear contacts.

But if my skin would cooperate, I think playing a Vulcan or Bajoran might be possible for a few days.

15. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

I tried contacts once and had an allergic reaction. Non-starter for me.

It seems Trek latex makeup breaks down into four basic categories:
    1) Small rubber bits (e.g., Bajoran, Vulcan)
    2) Large part of face (e.g. Klingon)
    3) Full face (e.g. Cardassian, Odo)
    4) Full head (e.g. Ferengi)

I could handle (1), but not sure about (2)-(4).

Apparently, during the filming of the DS9 S5 opener, Colm Meaney was complaining about how horrible the Klingon makeup was... Only for Rene A to come onto set and say what a *relief* it was compared to his usual Odo makeup!

16. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can see why they had to settle for "forehead-only" mods on a great many actors, enough so that it became a joke.

(It's funny how every major movie or TV show that involves elaborate makeup was always shot in the summertime of a particularly hot year. You'd think that they'd try filming in the other months sometime. Or maybe that's just the way the actors remember it.)

17. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could handle it. Would handle it for actor's pay. Unpleasant, fo sho. But doable. There would be fun to it too (i.e. acting, acting with fun people on a fun show, adding to the resumé etc.).

18. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Nope, not for me. I can handle heat OK, but only if there's air circulation. Stifle me in a costume or make-up like that and I am done for.

19. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

LaForge's VISOR enabled him to essentially be a walking tricorder--he could see far more than regular sighted people did. Ocular implants that could give normal sight were already available at the time TNG began (Dr. Pulaski had performed surgeries with them in the past), but none were available yet that could let him see all up and down the EM bandwidth like a VISOR could. The moment that happened, LaForge switched to the implants.

20. desfem79

desfem79 Lieutenant Commander

hmm.. I could handle Worf/Klingon make-up, but not sure about Borg.