The Law Returns. This Time With His Helmet On! Judge Dredd!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Is that a good rating for Total Film, because the review sure sounds fairly positive?

3. Captaindemotion

^It did occur to me also that the actual rating seemed less enthusiastic than the reviewer's description of the movie. I don't often read TF's reviews, to be honest, so I don't know how generous or stingy they are with the stars.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I went to RT just to see if they had a review of the '95 original for comparison and they didn't. Maybe they weren't around then? But then I thought about it, neither was RT so that means they are compiling and assigning scores to films using some other type of metric. I doubt RT is asking for retroactive scores from reviewers since the reviewer is alleged to be the one assigning a "fresh" or "rotten" scoring to their own review of a film.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Now see, this is why I think rating systems are worse than useless. It's pretty arbitrary and is entierly dependent on the reviewer's personal logic. If you ignore the rating, the film looks good. Indeed the only thing he seems to take issue with (and it's not even much of an issue) is Urban's performance. Everything I've seen and read about this film to date tells me it's a solid, moderately budgeted little action film, which is pretty much what I'd hoped for.

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Dredd's an uncut 18 in the UK, BTW.

Which sadly means our local fleapit won't get it - the *only* 18 rated movie they've had since I moved here in 1999 is Passion Of The Christ, and they only got that cos it was a religious thing...

7. Captaindemotion

^Sucks for people in your area, but otherwise an 18-rated Dredd is good new, IMHO.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Oh mate, I don't even bother with the cinema anymore. My local has the most rubbish sound system imaginable. Last few times I was there, I could hear whatever was playing in screen 2 better than what I was watching (Tron Legacy IIRC) which says a lot about the lack of soundproofing. Add to that the uncomfortable seats with no leg room--seriously, I'm only 5'4" and even I feel cramped--the obligatory overpriced food & drink...it's just not worth the hassle.

So yeah, I look forward to seeing Dredd in the comfort of my own home sometime next spring! :D

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

So there is an Anderson's theme but not a Dredd's theme?

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

My guess is that "Dredd"s theme is possibly included in the tracks "Judgement Time" or "Judge, Jury, and Executioner".

Also regarding Anderson's theme, I'm guessing that it is designed for a very specific scene in the film involving her (Reverend and I have hinted at it in the thread before).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been watching the trailers and stuff again, and I'm seriously tempted to go see this.
    The stuff I've seen for the movie has gotten interested in the comics, are there any big must reads that would be a good place to start?

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Difficult to say, you're talking about several decades of uninterrupted continuity (no magical reboots here!) so there's a metric ton of material out there. It's been my experience though, that while Dredd stories (especially the "epics") contain an awful lot of continuity and callbacks to previous stories, they tend to be written in a way that you don't *have* to have read those already.

Off the top of my head I think 'The Day the Law Died', 'America', 'The Pit' plus that whole series of interlinked stories that went from 'Oz' all the way to 'Necropolis' are usually cited as the "must reads". Personally I think the more recent books have just gotten better and better, but that's just my personal preference. I happen to like gritty procedural crime stories over crazy pulp sci-fi adventure. Fortunately, there's plenty of room for both and more in Mega-City One.

As for a good place to start, I just did a quick search and there's a TPB on Amazon called 'The Best of Judge Dredd'. In addition to the very first strip it includes 'America', 'The Judge Child', 'The Cursed Earth' and 'PJ Maybe' which sounds like a fairly broad taste of what Dredd has to offer.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might have to track that down if I get to a point where I've got extra money for comics.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not going to see it opening weekend but mostly likely will the weekend of Oct 5-7.
    A friend is coming into town and wants to see it together. Which is good cause I should be able to use my free Regal movie pass on it by then.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there was a running gag about Dredd liking tight boots and the reason he liked them tight that was explained over a 15 year period. If you had been reading all that period, it was a nice little easter egg.

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it came out here in the UK today, just saw it this afternoon. It's 1 in the morning right now (technically saw it yesterday I guess) and I'm going to bed, so will post more later, but for now I have two words...

Fuck yeah!

18. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I saw it yesterday afternoon. Overall it's a very well done dystopian action film. I have no clue about Judge Dredd so couldn't tell you how faithful it is but taken for what it is it's very enjoyable.

19. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I'll make a proper thread for it I guess...

EDIT- Here