Are macs as good as PCs for web design?

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by Cheapjack, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

Iweb looks good, but you design a website for a hotel with it? Could you design a website where you sell stuff, and link to a database? Can you do it with rapidweaver? Or would you have to buy full-blown Dreamweaver?

Why doesn't Apple do a database package anymore?

2. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

It's possible that there is another software provider who provides this for Apple. For example, I know that there is now a lot of Microsoft software for Apple. Have you checked both the Apple and Microsoft websites?

Microsoft Office for Mac has a database program:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TQ744LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0OA&mco=MTI5ODQ4NjU

Although you may get a better price somewhere else.

3. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but.. Macs ARE PCs now, just a new operating system on top. (Most of the hardware is actually the same these days, just put together somewhat differently)

Software wise, anything that crosses over is going to really matter more which OS you prefer, but there are many applications for the Windows platform that simply doesn't exist for the MacOS (particularly at the lower-end of the price scale). Also, keep in mind that applications that were meant for older Macs (which used Motorola chips) are likely to not work at all on the newer machines.

4. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Apple keeps a tighter rein on the specific hardware that may be used, which is part of what gives their OS greater reliability. The downside, of course, is that you have fewer upgrade options.

There are plenty of free programs for Linux, and many of them have OSX front-ends which are either free or cheap. So that cuts both ways.

You'd have to get very old for that, all the way back to OS9 software. While there are a few programs for which I lament the loss of Classic mode, for the most part Rosetta is good enough to make backwards compatibility a nonissue.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Web design can be done on any platform you want. It just depends on what program you want to use. There are both free and commercial web design packages for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Apparently, you have to buy the premium version of iWeb to link with a database.

Honestly, you would be best off using an existing e-commerce package (there are free ones) and slapping your own design on it.

6. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

What do you mean? Are you talking about when FileMaker Pro was more tightly controlled by Apple?

There are tons of software packages for Macs that have nothing to do with Apple... Apple just makes the Macs, not all the software for Macs.

But if you are looking for an ALL Apple solution, there is WebObjects running in Mac OS X Server. Then again WebObjects runs on Windows and Unix systems too. But WebObjects is how Apple runs things like the online Apple Store, MobileMe and the iTunes Store, so it is plenty scalable and would work fine for hotel (but is most likely a little over kill).

But if you just need a general database, there are also open source alternatives available as well.

As for the general question of web design... the World Wide Web (both the original HTML app and HTTP) was developed using all the same software that Apple supplied with Mac OS X today (all be it a number of generations removed). So Macs are just fine. Then again, so is just about any other platform you can think of. I've built sites in Mac OS 8/9, Mac OS X, Rhapsody, OPENSTEP and IRIX 5.3/6.2. Follow web standards and you'll be in good shape. :techman:

7. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

Thanks.

How would you go about ordering a room? It seems to me that you would need a working calendar sort of database to link to.

Has anybody done this?

8. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Do you mean hotel reservations?

9. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

10. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Generally, when in doubt... copy.

If your client doesn't know what fields they would need for such a task, go to the web sites of other hotels that have something similar to see what data fields they are using for the same task.

I classify myself as a "consultant" for a very important reason... when I run into a task that I'm not ready for or have little experience with, I can find someone else to help field those needs for my client. More than 95% of the time I can do everything that is needed, but being a consultant means that I can find someone for that other 5% rather than attempting something beyond me.

You are talking about a web site with a database enabled web app... that is not the type of project where you start learning web design.

iWeb is for building little personal websites. But if you didn't know that, then I'd have to guess that this is your first attempt at this type of thing. I've been doing web design for more than 11 years and what you are describing would be daunting for me (and I have all the software to do this type of thing).

This isn't just starting out in the deep end and being asked to swim... this is starting out in the middle of the ocean. So you might want to be sure you're ready before stepping into the water on this one. :eek:

11. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

Thanks!:techman:

12. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are Macs as good as PCs for web design? Sure, anything that runs a text editor will do fine :p

Personally, my approach here would be to design the basic website first with HTML and CSS, and then get a ready coded booking system from somewhere like www.hotscripts.com and manually incorporate it into the website myself. It's a shed load quicker than creating one yourself, but requires at least a working knowledge of PHP or ASP and MySQL.

I'd echo the sentiments of others here though, if you have no prior experience with server-side type scripting and databases, creating a whole hotel booking system yourself is probably a bit ambitious.

13. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What is this premium version you speak of?

14. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

:lol: I was looking at this but I am now thinking that's not the same thing that comes with your Mac.

15. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

I've looked on the web, and there a few people who give away or sell the software that can do it.

There is a built in function in most computers that returns the date, so you could build on that to create a calendar, though I think it would be easier to copy someone else's work.

Designing the front page would be harder and linking it would be difficult too.

I have been doing a diploma in computing, and as part of the group project we had to design a Chinese takeaway site.

There were tears a few times, especially when it came to the paying by credit card point!!!

It's not impossible.

16. Kataaran

Kataaran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hope you are reffering to the server and not the client PC. Client side means using JavaScript which shouldn't be relied upon. Also it would return the client PCs time, in different time zones.

17. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I know I shouldn't, but most of my base layouts are done using text editors. I'm not sure if it's because I'm lazy or not but I always preferred it.

18. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Well, actually I meant I just write all the code by hand into something like Notepad (or something with line numbers is better) rather than by using a layout program or other tool. Human written code is always better than software written code IMO.

19. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I think that too... though I've been told using Notepad is wrong and unprofessional seeing as I work online.

I've tried to use more professional programs but either due to the program or my hatred for learning new software when I don't need to, I don't get exactly what I want. If I write it myself, I get what I want and if not, I know where to change it...

...the baffling thing being the people who tell me my methods are wrong don't know half the code off by heart that I do ;)

Oh and for scripts/software - I often send people hotscripts.com. You can find something user friendly (which is always my top priority as those I build sites for don't have much experience online outside checking their emails) and free which has obvious bonuses and I've never needed any software to edit them (whether I'm using PC or my hated old mac) which is another expense that can be spares

20. Kataaran

Kataaran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

LOL. I'm a web designer and front-end developer and I won't go near Dreamweaver, it produces too much extra code. The graphic view doesn't accurately reflect what you get online anyway so it kind of defeats the whole point.