X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I continue to read great things about the movie. Plans have changed and I won't be seeing it Friday. Sunday night still, but not Friday :( I just recently re-read the "X-Men Origins: Magneto" script which was really well done for the most part. The core of that story seems to be added to First Class, which I believe has been mentioned.

2. ColeMercury

ColeMercury Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This movie was a solid A+. There was literally nothing about it that I didn't like. It didn't totally blow my mind either, but it was still great overall. Easily of the same caliber as X-Men and X2. Ah, Bryan Singer, why oh why did you ever leave?

No. I stayed behind because I saw other people also staying behind, so I assumed they'd found out beforehand that there was one... but there wasn't.

3. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Funny. Not only did I not think X2 was the best comic book movie, I do not like it in general. Wolverine is one of my least favorite characters, so to have X2 focus solely on him, I was bored through most of the movie. While I found the first X-Men movie to be relatively enjoyable, I still think First Class has the chance at being the only X-Men film I actually like.

4. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I didn't manage to read those before I left so stayed just in case.

Thought the movie was brilliant though. The action was great, and McAvoy and Fassbender did really well in their roles. There were a lot of humourous moments as well.

As well as being a good film on its own merits I think it also helps accentuate X1&2 (and X3 in some aspects but not as much). Furthermore I like how we get to focus on some X-Men that we normally wouldn't see on the big screen.

I can't really think of too many negative things to say really.

Now just a few things which I'll spoiler code.

I thought they way Darwin died was pretty cool.

Magneto was just badass throughout the whole film.

I liked Charles using his pick up line :lol:

LOVED the Wolverine cameo, the whole audience burst out laughing.

Also liked the Rebcca Romjin cameo but I don't think as many people noticed it was her.

When Charles was using Cerebro which mutants were there? I notcied Storm and Scott, and maybe Jean Grey? They only appeared for a short time and I couldn't figure out who the others were (and one of my friends didn't even realise!)

The only negative thing I thought was that Mystique's turning at the end felt a bit abrupt, like she's leaving her brother moments after he'd been shot.

5. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lowest grade I've seen around so far is a B-, not bad if that is your worst!

Is it safe to say that Fassbender as Magneto in this film is the Hugh Jackman as Wolverine of the original? I'm really Wolverined out. :)

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fassbender is reportedly the scene stealer in this film that I expected him to be. James McAvoy might have been billed as the star at first but this seems to be about Fassbender and his performance as Magneto.

7. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

The movie was awesome! I agree, Fassbender owns every scene!

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Matthew Vaughn has said that Fassbender is rocking the Bond vibe in X-Men:First Class.

9. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

I'm so sad.

My husband says I can't go until next week. :sigh:

Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

10. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I can't believe how great the film is. I dare say it is the best superhero film since The Dark Knight. It is even better than The Dark Knight.

11. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it last night, great movie, really enjoyed it every aspect of it. Fassbender is AWESOME!!

But just a little spoiler question-
    What does this make of X3? I only really thought about it on the drive home. That at the start of X3 we have a walking Charles and Erik meeting young Jean Grey, while by the end of FC Charles is already in the chair and Erik has turned to the dark side, and its far too early to meet Jean yet. Been a while since I watched X3, would that mean it just ignores that scene or the whole movie? Granted there are a lot of minor "glitches" in all the X movies I suppose. Human Hank McCoy cameo in X2, the different look of Sabretooth in X1 and XO:W etc

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Like I said, I wasn't too excited about this movie, but liked the promos and ended up enjoying this movie quite a bit. I give it an A. It was nice to see how everything we saw in the other movies came together.

- Kevin Bacon played a great villain. He's not someone I'd ordinarily think of in such a part, but he did great, especially as a nazi. Loved seeing him in the helmet too.

- Fassbender... It's all been said already. Good stuff.

- McAvoy... Did well at chaneling the wise Professor X.

- The reasoning behind their call names was a nice touch.

- I like January Jones, but she wasn't the sexiest Emma Frost I've ever seen. This is...

[​IMG]

When I first saw that pic, I thought it was a promo shot of January Jones. I wish they would have made her look like that. A lot of the cosplay stuff I've seen beats out the movie version if you ask me.

- Loved Jennifer Lawrence as Raven Darkholme, as well as her relationship with Charles. I also liked that they showcased Lawrence's natural beauty by giving her a lot of face and skirt time. But of course the blue skin is beautiful too. ;)

- Nice to see Rose Byrne in anything.

- Poor Darwin. He gave it his best shot, but in the end, couldn't adapt.

- A few surprises...

I was wondering if we'd get a Wolverine cameo and then thought... Probably not. Then, surprise! :eek: :techman:

There was a lot of clapping, cheers and laughter when he first appeared. Rebecca Romijn's appearance was a nice touch and a welcome surprise too.

- I preferred the first movie's score, but this one was pretty good too. I stayed through the credits just to hear it.

- One nit... Erik helped build Cerebro, but the turn he made at the end of the movie makes it difficult to believe that they could work together toward that end in the coming years.

- Another nit... Young Charles seems to have too much hair to be balding. Or did he shave his head? :vulcan:

- One question... Charles said that something can be found between serenity and rage. What was it? I missed what he said.

Wasn't he walking in X-Men: Wolverine as well? I figured that he developed something that allowed him to walk at some point but stopped using it and went back to the chair.

13. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I'm pretty sure it was stated that FC is reboot of the series.

14. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For beast the FC version does fit with Kelsey Grammer's version in the Last Stand. Think of Steve Bacic's character in X2 as a different Hank McCoy.

Xavier. The walking can be explained by whose perspective we're viewing from. The whole idea of residual self image from the Matrix is very much real. In a memory or a dream, people generally see what they consider their true self. In the case of people who have become disabled their true self includes being whole. There's also the issue of Prof X being able to make you remember him how he sees fit. Erik driving the car might be telling.

And speaking of the Magneto going bad thing: remember that as much as this is a story about mutants, its also about two best friends (almost quazi-brothers) on opposite sides who want nothing more than the other to come to their point of view. In the 35 some years between First Class and X-men there is plenty of time of reconciliation and another split.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah hopefully fans will remember to give Singer some credit for this, after pretty much (and unfairly in my mind) throwing him under the bus for SR.

He may not have directed FC, but he surely helped craft the story and set the tone.

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

there's inconsistencies with all 4 previous X-flicks...

to whit:

in X-1 Charles says Magneto helped build Cerebro. Here Beast built it. in X3 and Wolverine Charles was walking until the 1980s (ish) here he's crippled in '62. in X2 Stryker says he was 'running ops in Laos while (Senator Kelly) was sucking on [his] momma's titty at Woodstock', whilst in Wolverine, Stryker was in his 40s or 50s in the 70s, yet i got the impression when Charles refers to CIA Officer Stryker's son, William, that he was still a kid...

so, I'd say, HJ's presence notwithstanding, i think we have to treat First Class as a reboot. guess it's no different to Dame Judi appearing in the DC 007 flicks after doing the Brosnan ones...

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I can believe that McCoy invented Cerebro while Erik and Charles built a more sophisticated version on their own.

18. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Mmm, I guess we'll just have to see what happens in Second Class and Third Class :D

EDIT- I didn't stay till the end of the credits as I was with friends who aren't massive geeks, and didn't wanna keep them waiting for possibly nothing. I'm sure read a few posts up that there isn't a said scene, but I just saw on the wiki page this- "A post-credits scene depicts Cyclops, Storm and Jean Grey's acceptance to the school."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_First_Class_(film)

Not like Wiki is overly reliable though, is this right?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  19. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^No, it's not.

20. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, that was a lot better then I expected it to be. More in line with the first and second X-Men movies then the third or Wolverine.
    There were a few plot holes and the CGI wasn't the best, but overall I liked the pacing and the action.