The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Feofilakt

Feofilakt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Corporations don't exist because the Federation's economy is structured along technocratic lines, making it a quasi-communist state.

And WW1 and WW2 were not massive nuclear wars, so that point is irrelevant. I was only making an observation, no reason to get defensive...

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

AND she responds "Yes, Doctor". I wonder if it was Majel doing that one line?

3. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Thank you for that... :)

4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I did hear that response too.

It would be cool if it were Majel but I doubt it.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The writers are actually in a very good postion to say what happened in the movie since they wrote it. Fans, people posting on a message board, casual viewers...none of them has any say in what happens in the movie, only the people that made it do. And if the writers say the new movie is an alternate reality and the original reality is still out there untouched then how can we argue with them? It's their story.

The "Prime" universe was already dead. The TOS crew are too old to make new movies, The TNG movies are over and done. DS9, VGR, and ENT were never going to return in any form.

6. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What the fuck?

Question: Did you like the movie?

Person A: No, I did not like the movie.

Person B: Yes, I liked the movie.

Conclusion: Only one of these two people can be correct???

I did not like the movie. You did. We are both right. I did not realize personal opinion was a matter of majority rule.

Fuck this. "Grade and Discuss" ... So long as you agree with the vast majority. What is the bloody point?

7. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just want to quote this in case people glossed over it.

8. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

yeah i went today with enough people we took up a whole row.
    and everyone said they did a great job of casting..
    that you knew who these people were.

and these were all people like me except for one who grew up
    watching first run tos.

9. cyberengland

cyberengland Ensign Red Shirt

Hey, if you do not like the movie, thats cool. But to say that its not Star Trek, well to me, when you say that, then you are saying that the rest of us whom like it do not know what we are talking about, in my opinion.

10. Bacl

Well, I am sorry if that's how my words came across, but I would never want to say that about you or anyone. I just didn't feel that this movie was Star Trek to me.

For me, Star Trek has always been about ideas, character, conflict, and what it means to be human. It was never about war, for me (again for me) Star Trek was a show about peace, and intellectual curiosity.

For me, this movie was about gunfights, and blowing up planets, and anger. Even Spock seemed angry, and bitter, and even kind of mean.

I always viewed Spock as a man of logic, pacifism, and spiritual calm. He was what we were heading towards as an evolutionary process. Not biological evolution, but mental evolution.

"The human journey is just begining..."

That's what I think of when I think of Star Trek.

I didn't see that in this movie. I'm glad people enjoyed it, but I did not. I just didn't. I'm sorry, but it is how I feel.

11. Jolantru

Jolantru Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

N00B poster here! Greeting all!

I just want to say I FREAKING LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!! I have not loved a Trek film this much since Wrath of Khan.

But I think I might even love this movie more than Khan. Why? Finally we get a Trek movie with a decent budget. As much as I loved Khan, they reused effects shots from ST:TMP, which is just cheap and wrong. But Khan had a great story line.

This movie has a great story, great action, and finally looks like a big budget movie.

I know some folks are having sour grapes about this film. It's too bad that they can't enjoy this movie for what it is, a major ass kicking, blow you out of your mind experience.

Yes this is a reboot, so what? If you want to watch the "cannon", just go out and rent or buy the DVD's, problem solved. I would rather see a good compelling story than to have some super sacred "cannon" preserved.

And for those that don't like the movie... if you don't like it fine, but geez don't act like this is worse than the genocide going on in Darfur. It's just a movie, and as I said, you can always go watch reruns or get the DVD's, or go read some fan fic.

12. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

You must have hated DS9 then.

13. Bacl

I loved it, actually, although in the last two seasons the space battles bored me.

However, even when the focus became about the war, it was a very intellectual and character-driven show. But I did prefer the earlier seasons more.

14. Feofilakt

Feofilakt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Bacl has a point, DS9 wasn't exactly Starship Troopers as far as the warfare focus goes.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked it. The casting was perfect and it really carried the film.

The weak point for me was the background premise. Tying it into the original timeline with Nimoy's Spock seemed very forced. I realize that Nero going back in time changed things, but it doesn't explain why everything changed. For example, Nero going back in time somehow made Chekov a super-genius? I think the film would have been smoother if it was a clean break.

Also, Nero was too much of a cardboard cutout. Lots of stuff about him wouldn't make sense unless you read the Countdown comic. Personally, I don't think an average movie-goer should rely on a comic (or any tie-in material) to give them the necessary background on a character needed for the movie.

I could have also done w/o all the ADHD editing and the lens flares. Hopefully, they'll tone that down for the next one.

Again, I liked the movie and thought it did the job it set out to do. My issues are very minor, I admit, but I would like to see the movie again in order to better refine my thoughts about it.

16. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Nero and Spock didn't go back in time as much was they went backward and sideways. They entered another universe. Nero's actions did influence some events but not all. And Chekov was always very intelligent. He frequently manned the science station in Spock's absence. But yes, any differences in the two Chekovs would be inherent differences in the two universes, not from anything Nero did.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I just accept that they took some creative liberties while taking us back.

18. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like I've said my issues have nothing to do with the writers supposedly raping one's childhood by altering the timeline or with the lack of social commentary.

I can easily enjoy a rip-roaring action adventure film replete with all variety of explosions and battles. However, I prefer the plot to hold together. When I first watched the film so much is going on that while I saw some problems I really didn't see the deficiencies in the film to the degree I did later because everything is moving so fast, maybe too fast. But once you see the film again or you sit back and try to make sense of all the stuff in the film and actually analyze the story the film really starts to have problems. Maybe the writers thought that with the whirlwind of events that occur in the film that you wouldn't catch on but I like to examine the story especially when it comes to these films or tv series that go out of their way to cover a lot of ground as it tends to be the preferred style these days. Having the plot make sense or providing the villian with plausible understandable motivations isn't being nitpicky.

I personally think Trek works better as a tv series. Most of the time after seeing a Trek film I leave not completely satisfied. The last one that really worked was Star Trek 6. This film is okay. It's not the best Trek film ever. It has issues that prevented me from being completely engrossed in the film as it unfolded. It's entertaining on a superficial level but it has its issues.

I think once all this initial excitement dies down I think you'll start hearing fans altering their tune with regards to the praise that they are currently heaping on it because it is far from perfect and from "excellent".

19. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

First off, I like it, it is great.

I did not like engineering. The movie made it clear that the timeline does not diverge until the Kevin, so why does the new engineering look like a waste facility? Trip's Eng looks so advanced compared to the new ENT. The bridge looks like the Apple store and Eng looks like a PC. I just did not get it. Can warp plasma really travel through basic sewage pipe? It also seemed weird that the view screen that Archer had was easier to see things on and much clearer picture. Maybe they lost HD technology before they built the Kelvin. It looks kind of ridiculous. I also still do not like the look of the outside of the new Enterprise. It lack any of the fluidity and beautiful lines of the original and the refit. I also did not like the uniforms on the Kelvin. They should have been a cross between ENT and TOS, but they looked like more of a TNG alternate universe uniform.

I did like all the actors, great cast. Just wish that some of the design had been better; because some of it was bang on.

20. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Gave it an excellent. Not perfect and some story stuff doesn't make sense but it was entertaining enough for me to overlook and still give an excellent. Theater was packed when I saw it, and I know about ten people who had never seen trek that went to watch it and loved it.